Mars landing in 12 minutes.

Batesmotel

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Now can you understand the reason for forcing electric cars on the world? Outfit government security and law enforcement with electric powered vehicles ONLY and see how things work out. 

Tell John Kerry that he can't fly anywhere that cannot be reached by an electric aircraft.

Greta will approve.

Then, we invest in companies that make really, really long extension cords.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, M&P15T said:

Impressive. Pointless, but impressive.

Take all that engineering and money, and put it to good use. 

An impermeable boarder wall.

New nuclear power plants.

Better roads.

More oil pipe-lines.

Wander through intensive care at a modern hospital and notice all the remote monitoring equipment - most developed as byproducts of the space program. Consider GoogleEarth - another offshoot of the space program.

Not a single dollar of the space program was spent off world. 

• Thanks 2

Somewhere among the back and forth y'all reminded of an airplane. A "Luscombe" which had a wind powered generator below the cockpit. Perhaps if electric cars were so equipped, I'd opt for separate batteries, when one was low on juice, use the other to either run on or recharge the other. Of course I'm not suggesting a perpetual motion machine but considering the wind powered generator could be allowed to generate when the car was parked............I'm digging a ditch here, and following the advice to stop digging, I'll wish y'all a good night.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Many many years ago on a visit to NYC I noticed that at least some LEO were riding Vespa motor scooters - two cycle engines and manual shift transmission at that time. 

All jokes aside...they might make sense in the right place.  I have a university in my city...and bicycles are a tremendous way to patrol (and stay fit)...and a Vespa would likely do quiet nicely.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Historian said:

All jokes aside...they might make sense in the right place.  I have a university in my city...and bicycles are a tremendous way to patrol (and stay fit)...and a Vespa would likely do quiet nicely.

Yes, bumper to bumper near stalled traffic. Vespas much more maneuverable than big Harleys. Also saw horses in use by police while there. Same advantages. Bicycles also have a place as you say. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Yes, bumper to bumper near stalled traffic. Vespas much more maneuverable than big Harleys. Also saw horses in use by police while there. Same advantages. Bicycles also have a place as you say. 

We used horse of a while. They were fantastic for crowd control and public perspective.  Everyone loved the horses.  

For the most part. Some people are stupid.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, M&P15T said:

Impressive. Pointless, but impressive.

Take all that engineering and money, and put it to good use. 

An impermeable boarder wall.

New nuclear power plants.

Better roads.

More oil pipe-lines.

I we don't do that, this is the bail out plan.

NASA's first-ever Mars helicopter is preparing to take to the Martian skies following Thursday's successful Perseverance rover landing in the planet's Jezero Crater

Ingenuity is currently attached to the rover's belly and its mission is also historic: the 4-pound helicopter will attempt the first powered-controlled flight on another planet

https://www.foxnews.com/science/mars-how-will-nasas-perseverance-rover-engineers-pilot-first-helicopter