Mars landing in 12 minutes.

Batesmotel

When I have lost all faith in humanity and cannot escape both the sense of people doomed to mediocrity and the subjugation of culture, it is events such as this that give me one final spark of hope.

I haven't many years left and am somewhat happy that I will not be around to witness the next decades.

Look what they did.

Just look at what people did when they ignore those that say that it cannot be done.

This result required seven months.  No instant gratification, no counting up likes minute by minute, no coiffed propagandists extolling or condemning.

Look at what they did.

And there are two more coming right behind this one.

And people like those involved in projects like this have been doing it since 1977.  Some of those folk may well have grandchildren working on today's marvels.

I shall repeat, but for me, it cannot be said enough or with too much joy and enthusiasm.:

Good for you, Mars lander teams.

Good for you.

Now, go further.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, tous said:

When I have lost all faith in humanity and cannot escape both the sense of people doomed to mediocrity and the subjugation of culture, it is events such as this that give me one final spark of hope.

Never fear, Man will find a way to **** this up too. I’ll enjoy it while it lasts though. Hell, maybe we will surprise ourselves. If not, the train wreck will be breathtaking. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Never fear, Man will find a way to **** this up too. I’ll enjoy it while it lasts though. Hell, maybe we will surprise ourselves. If not, the train wreck will be breathtaking. 

If I accept your assertion then there is no good reason to try anything, no?

Any and all endeavors will fail, so only a fool attempts anything.

I spent over 40 years of my life in the aerospace industry creating some really neato stuff.  Yes, there were those occasions when a 40 million dollar hunk of effort ended up as a smoking hole in the ground.

But there were more occasions when  the damned thing flew and flew better than we expected.

No offense, amigo, but you watch the train wreck, I prefer to watch trains arrive on time because that is what committed and dedicated people intended -- before they moved on to solving the next problem.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

There were so many failures to get here. The one that sticks in my memory was when one group was working with metric, and the next group was using the English system, both thinking the other was measuring the same way they were. The error was discovered in the post mortem of a lander that was programed for a gentle touchdown several hundred feet beyond (deep) where the surface really was.

Whoops!

• Like 2

Tous, you got me to thinking about the good and bad sides of the human race. Millions upon millions come and go from the planet, but every now and then a single person makes a huge step forward for us all. Socrates, Pythagoras, Jesus, Sir Isaac Newton, Copernicus, Galileo, Dr Lister (Civil war surgeon), Einstein, and so many more whose names remind us of the power of a single person to change the path of mankind. That progress keeps moving us forward over the centuries shows the inate goodness of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, tous said:

If I accept your assertion then there is no good reason to try anything, no?

Any and all endeavors will fail, so only a fool attempts anything.

I spent over 40 years of my life in the aerospace industry creating some really neato stuff.  Yes, there were those occasions when a 40 million dollar hunk of effort ended up as a smoking hole in the ground.

But there were more occasions when  the damned thing flew and flew better than we expected.

No offense, amigo, but you watch the train wreck, I prefer to watch trains arrive on time because that is what committed and dedicated people intended -- before they moved on to solving the next problem.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

I wasn't talking about the launch or space endevours. I'm not talking about the things man has built and is capable of building. I was referring to Man's propensity to take something wonderous and drive it off a cliff. It is getting harder and harder to look at the world and see a triumphant end to our story. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Historian said:

I guess you don't read The National Enquirer....about 1990 they found a wild west town on Venus.

Go back to the 1800s. Scientists were sure there were dinosaurs on Venus. 

Can’t see the surface. Must be clouds. Clouds must mean primordial Cambrian-like forest. Therefore it must harbor dinosaurs. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Go back to the 1800s. Scientists were sure there were dinosaurs on Venus. 

Can’t see the surface. Must be clouds. Clouds must mean primordial Cambrian-like forest. Therefore it must harbor dinosaurs. 

The protomolecule messed it up

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tadbart said:

@tous well said.  just woke up and watched this. I always get a little teary-eyed, seeing what our best and brightest can do. These are the kinds of people who should be running EVERYTHING.

Well done, NASA, JPL, and Mars Lander Teams!

It's amazing what we can accomplish,  but on the other hand we can't keep the power on in Texas.  Can you imagine what would happen if everyone had an electric car.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

It's amazing what we can accomplish,  but on the other hand we can't keep the power on in Texas.  Can you imagine what would happen if everyone had an electric car.   

Now can you understand the reason for forcing electric cars on the world? Outfit government security and law enforcement with electric powered vehicles ONLY and see how things work out. 

• Like 1