Biden Calls on Congress to ‘Enact Commonsense Gun Law Reforms’

pipedreams

Here we go again..................

"President Joe Biden called on Congress to move forward on gun-reform legislation, including a ban on assault weapons, in a bid to help prevent another mass shooting in the U.S.

“I am calling on Congress to enact commonsense gun law reforms, including requiring background checks on all gun sales, banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and eliminating immunity for gun manufacturers who knowingly put weapons of war on our streets,” Biden said in a statement issued by the White House."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-14/biden-calls-on-congress-to-enact-commonsense-gun-law-reforms

• Sad 1

I think the impetus for the 1934 National Firearms Act came as a fearful reaction due to the Bonus Army march a couple of years earlier. There are plenty of congress critters who wet their Depends over a few people committing "insurrection" on January 6 who can use it to justify their bans. They could give a rats ass about the victims of crime, mass shooting or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GT4494 said:

Even though the only "Weapon" they cold find was a baseball bat!!  oh, there were some 2 x 4s that people picked up from the viewing stand construction...

Truth, but congress critters were no doubt spooked by the real possibility that those WW1 vets could have showed up armed. Just like today.

Politicians prefer that their peasants are unarmed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

record amounts of guns, Magazines and Ammunition was sold in 2020 and Jan 2021 broke all records, only reason Feb. hasn't is because there's not enough left to sell

Congress is gonna find it hard to sell it to all those people they are wrong about wanting AR-15s and AKs.

Dems. will lose 20 more seats in 2022  if they do it.

like i said before though, only way a Background check will work is by creating a National Registry and Database of Gun owners.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

record amounts of guns, Magazines and Ammunition was sold in 2020 and Jan 2021 broke all records, only reason Feb. hasn't is because there's not enough left to sell

Congress is gonna find it hard to sell it to all those people they are wrong about wanting AR-15s and AKs.

Dems. will lose 20 more seats in 2022  if they do it.

like i said before though, only way a Background check will work is by creating a National Registry and Database of Gun owners.

The only way that will work is everyone...does it.  I just  can't see uncle Bob going to the trouble to give Jimmy a pistol.

All you'd have to say is...that happened in prior to 2021.

As for your comment about 20 seats.   I think you're right.  They stayed away from this topic to some extent during the election for a reason.

Its very much a cross party issue.   

I think the most they might get is something like what we had in the 1990s.

Even then the Democrat majority is actually very thin, if the vote went along party lines.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Historian said:

The only way that will work is everyone...does it.  I just  can't see uncle Bob going to the trouble to give Jimmy a pistol.

All you'd have to say is...that happened in prior to 2021.

As for your comment about 20 seats.   I think you're right.  They stayed away from this topic to some extent during the election for a reason.

Its very much a cross party issue.   

I think the most they might get is something like what we had in the 1990s.

Even then the Democrat majority is actually very thin, if the vote went along party lines.

I have a Grandson lined up to give me some help.  I set aside a pistol for him for being there for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Historian said:

that's why President GropeyJoe will X.O. a National Registry to avoid all that Constitutional Mumbo Jumbo and get the BATF to do the Dirty Work.

Damn gun grabbing Whales!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, holyjohnson said:

that's why President GropeyJoe will X.O. a National Registry to avoid all that Constitutional Mumbo Jumbo and get the BATF to do the Dirty Work.

Damn gun grabbing Whales!

There are laws they will have to over turn that prevent a national registry.  When the 4473 first came out...part of the deal was...your FFL has to hold them for 20 years...or mail them to an Indiana Jones type warehouse to be stored.

They don't scan those things in.   New ones, perhaps. but for old dudes like me...most of them are fast rotating off the keep list.

Half the stuff i had before the famous boating accident and that damn whale is going to roll off any record...within five years,.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are laws they will have to over turn that prevent a national registry.  When the 4473 first came out...part of the deal was...your FFL has to hold them for 20 years...or mail them to an Indiana Jones type warehouse to be stored.
They don't scan those things in.   New ones, perhaps. but for old dudes like me...most of them are fast rotating off the keep list.
Half the stuff i had before the famous boating accident and that damn whale is going to roll off any record...within five years,.

So you think that, after your 4473 information is called or keyed in - including what you are buying - all that information is discarded by the local/state/national agencies which do the background check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

So you think that, after your 4473 information is called or keyed in - including what you are buying - all that information is discarded by the local/state/national agencies which do the background check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do i think that?  No.  Are they supposed to get rid of that?  They are.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, Walt Longmire said:

The Supreme Court is all that is between them and us.

You just cannot depend on the SCOTUS and I just don't trust them. I think are are afraid of the left. They didn't do a hell of a lot during the claims of election fraud.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, captcurly said:

You just cannot depend on the SCOTUS and I just don't trust them. I think are are afraid of the left. They didn't do a hell of a lot during the claims of election fraud.

SCOTUS is giving in because they are afraid of "packing the court" by liberals, and being irrelevant.

Some places call this extortion.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

SCOTUS is giving in because they are afraid of "packing the court" by liberals, and being irrelevant.

Some places call this extortion.

If that's the case then they should look themselves in the mirror.   They made themselves irrelevant.

• Thanks 2