I'm in 2nd place in the Ice Fishing Derby

13 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I don't know.  I've never heard about monkfish caught thought the ice, but I could be wrong.  They don't quite look right.

But, I love to season them, put a sprig of rosemary on each side, then wrap them in super thin bacon and toss them on the grill.

i know they are fished off Greenland, that's Trawling though.

and Yes i`d eat that with Rosemary and Bacon!

Edited by holyjohnson

Good luck Walt. My buddy marlin yes that was his real name was a fishing fool. Everywhere we went we had to have a fishing pole. When we worked with the housing authority we had poles in the van and would stand in the chena river on lunch eating a sandwich and rode in the other hand. We would spend hours fishing burbot trying to out do each other along with a few other friends drinking cold beer bastard would not drink beer just pepsi and smoked weed like a indian chief. Good frickin days them were. We caught some nice rainbows out of harding but never no damn 8 pounder. Of course that was years ago now that place is so over fished. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hook said:

Everywhere we went we had to have a fishing pole

Rod.  Fishing rod, almost always.

A fishing pole is a stick or reed, etc., with some line tied to the end.   A fishing rod is graphite, fiberglass, etc, with line guides, and is used with a reel.

We caught these fish in "the lagoon".

It was,  they knew where they were going,  the place where the sandbars made a gap,  and the tide would go in and out,  even though it was frozen over.  It was only 4' deep.

"Tommy Cod" and another fish (forget the name).  1000 of them.  Everyone in the village gets a bagfull today.

And dinner is served.

I didn't know that eyeballs were the specialty. They went first.   People would ask if you were going to eat your eyeballs.

Stick your knife in,  and jiggle them out,  and eat them off the blade.

I ate the eyeballs.  So I wouldn't be a *****.  I chewed one,  got the eyeball pop.  Mmm.  Delicious. So, the rest I just swallowed whole, no chewing.

Eyeballs were, almost, the least unnerving thing I ate there.

Everyone had 5-gallon buckets of seal oil under their front porches.

But,  it's not, like, refined oil, or nothing...

As far as I could tell..  you get a seal,  skin it,  and machete the rest into goo,  put him in a bucket,  and sooner or later,  all the chunks go to the bottom and the oil floats to the top.

So you scoop a lot of oil out,  for every meal,  and keep it in old jalapeno jars.

And all the gunky meat at the bottom?  I don't know.  Like, tacos, or something.

CIMG0030.thumb.JPG.1bf273f1dc9fb35c5ee3b6ffaedac137.JPG

This guy has a PHD in Art,  from a Seattle (?) college.  His artwork (scrimshaw and ivory carvings) are in very prestigious museums around the world.

That a billy-kin he was selling me.

He owns a folding card -table in his kitchen,  and a coffee mug.  That's about it.  And that shirt.

He the nicest, most happiest person you ever met.

• Like 2

CIMG0015.thumb.JPG.004625f8323aa6e4950aa457921b44d8.JPG

And, so,  we were just sitting in the living room,  listening to NHL playoffs on the radio (there was no tv),  and this little girl just came in, shut the door,  and fell asleep in the boot-room.

My daughter was a teacher,  and knew who she was, and called the parents.

They said it was OK,  so we just left her there.

Later,  she woke up and left.

That's kind of how it goes in a very small bush village.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Rod.  Fishing rod, almost always.

A fishing pole is a stick or reed, etc., with some line tied to the end.   A fishing rod is graphite, fiberglass, etc, with line guides, and is used with a reel.

You are one of them I see. Grab your fishing pole let’s do some some fishing. Oh god dammit make sure we call it a rod so we don’t offend al. You know what al you caught me in a bad place right now with your bullshit post you can shove your sarcastic post up your ass . If you dont like the fact we call it a fishing pole then tough ****. If eric bans me for this post so be it but you  are the absolute reason i dont like to participate in forums. You offered nothing to this thread except to critique me for my term of what me and others call a fishing pole. You can **** right off!! **** you al. 

Edited by Hook
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

CIMG0030.thumb.JPG.1bf273f1dc9fb35c5ee3b6ffaedac137.JPG

This guy has a PHD in Art,  from a Seattle (?) college.  His artwork (scrimshaw and ivory carvings) are in very prestigious museums around the world.

Always thought scrimshaw was an amazing form of art work.  Truly.  To look at it is to see true culture.  An ancient culture.

18 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

CIMG0015.thumb.JPG.004625f8323aa6e4950aa457921b44d8.JPG

And, so,  we were just sitting in the living room,  listening to NHL playoffs on the radio (there was no tv),  and this little girl just came in, shut the door,  and fell asleep in the boot-room.

My daughter was a teacher,  and knew who she was, and called the parents.

They said it was OK,  so we just left her there.

Later,  she woke up and left.

That's kind of how it goes in a very small bush village.

When we lived in a small college town and had very small children we would take the children for a night of bridge at a friends house. Ours would play with their much older ones until ours fell asleep on the floor. I would slide them under an end table so they wouldn’t accidentally get kicked or stepped on and cover them so they wouldn’t chill. When we were ready to go, slide them back out and go home usually without waking them. 

• Haha 1

it was prolly genetically mess with ,   https://www.voanews.com/silicon-valley-technology/genetically-modified-rainbow-trout-could-boost-aquaculture

since retiring  ive worked with nc state  farming bio-enviro  labs  , ive seen some things that were engineered  ,  im tryi ng to get my damn hip fixed so i can get back to semi work

iknow i think in 1939 i think world record large mouth bass was like 23 pounds  , i think ,   ive seen some gentically altered to 30 pounds . records dont mean jack  in this day and time .

Edited by ASH

19 hours ago, ASH said:

it was prolly genetically mess with ,   https://www.voanews.com/silicon-valley-technology/genetically-modified-rainbow-trout-could-boost-aquaculture

since retiring  ive worked with nc state  farming bio-enviro  labs  , ive seen some things that were engineered  ,  im tryi ng to get my damn hip fixed so i can get back to semi work

iknow i think in 1939 i think world record large mouth bass was like 23 pounds  , i think ,   ive seen some gentically altered to 30 pounds . records dont mean jack  in this day and time .

I ain't eating that.

• Like 1