Everybody Wants To Be The Captain

Eric

that's why you don't complain about the cost of crab!

if the Skipper motored forward too much he`d have run into the rocks, if he jogged to Starboard been hit Broadside, tries to Reverse he Prop walks.

and all of that control while hes at the top of the Boat getting tossed around.

Skill!

• Like 5

Years ago, I owned a 17' center console boat. Great for lakes, bays, rivers. Took it out on the Crystal River grass flats in the Gulf of Mexico a few times.

Some family came down from Michigan one particularly blustery January, and they wanted to go out in the boat to Ponce Inlet and see the lighthouse and maybe some porpoises. We tooled around the inlet for a while, and they wanted to head out past the jetty. Got about halfway out, and the waves were just too big. Pulled a U-turn in a lull, climbed up the back of a following wave, and rode that thing back in to calmer waters. Barely a drop of water in the boat, lesson learned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

that's why you don't complain about the cost of crab!

if the Skipper motored forward too much he`d have run into the rocks, if he jogged to Starboard been hit Broadside, tries to Reverse he Prop walks.

and all of that control while hes at the top of the Boat getting tossed around.

Skill!

Skill, and huge balls!

• Like 2

No thanks.  I have enough experience on the water to appreciate that one.  Sailboats, bass boats, crew boats, charter boats, submarines, I've driven them all.  A few times in waves that big, but never in quarters that tight, waters that cold, AND waves that big.  Un uh, I don't want to be that captain.

• Like 1

I've never been a boat guy.  I like them, but didn't ever want one.  We've still got a canoe.  The last time we used it,  in Swamp, NC,  with a very young daughter in it,  we spent most of the day water-smacking moccasins with the oars, coming at us.  Yes,  they come at you.

Our friend took us water skiing in the Gulf of Messico, decades ago.  The motor conked-out.  We could still see land,  but were pretty freakin' far out there.

All I was wearing was shorty-short jean cutoffs.

After rowing for twelve, or eighteen hours,  I was burned into a coma.

Like a lobster.  Firestone red.  I peeled three times.  I could peel leg-sized pieces off,  all in one piece.  Like a lizard.

I called off work for a week.  The boss called and said I was going to be fired.  I walked a block down,  in my underwear,  and the boss told me to go back home.

I should have gone to the hospital.  But,  bikers don't do that.

That was, what?, 40 years ago,  and my shorty-shorts were so short,  that the pocket stuck out further than the shorts.

I can still see the line,  with the pocket-dip, in my thigh.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I've never been a boat guy.  I like them, but didn't ever want one.  We've still got a canoe.  The last time we used it,  in Swamp, NC,  with a very young daughter in it,  we spent most of the day water-smacking moccasins with the oars, coming at us.  Yes,  they come at you.

Our friend took us water skiing in the Gulf of Messico, decades ago.  The motor conked-out.  We could still see land,  but were pretty freakin' far out there.

Like a lobster.  Firestone red.  I peeled three times.  I could peel leg-sized pieces off,  all in one piece.  Like a lizard.

I called off work for a week.  The boss called and said I was going to be fired.  I walked a block down,  in my underwear,  and the boss told me to go back home.

That was, what?, 40 years ago,  and my shorty-shorts were so short,  that the pocket stuck out further than the shorts.

Yep, that’s pretty red. :biggrin:

2FA49AE1-B459-4041-A1B2-00FEDA1D2D12.png

We entered into the Brazos River Raft Race,  which is a big college-kid thing, in Waco.

It wasn't about actually competing in the race,  but getting drunk on a raft in the middle of a huge party.

We built the raft out of bamboo.

But the only bamboo for 1000 miles around, was right in the park.  In the antique bamboo forest.  So it's not like they didn't know where we got the bamboo,  and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to cut the bamboo from the county park.

But it was pretty cool.  Swiss Family Robinson cool.

But we didn't have life-vests,  so they didn't let us enter the race.  So we left.

But we just went upriver, and floated down into the race, anyway!

And our raft was engineered pretty bad,  and we probably should have had life-vests.

10 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Dang.  Y'all didn't have any flares or a radio?

These days, ya just radio or call SeaTow, and they come and get you.

That is worthy accomplishment, bringing her in with swells like that.

Another one that is a bit tricky is Depoe Bay. Videos on utoob of charter boats hitting the rocks coming in. Know a guy who captained a charter fishing boat out of there and he said the key was lots of power, never turn back, and pray.

• Like 1