3D printing - coolest project ever

Mrs.Cicero

I don't know about that project specifically, but that was first done about ten years ago. There is a lot of work being done to bring robotics into the construction world. 

A few years ago a bridge was printed out of steel using some mig welders. 

Right now it seems that the industry is heading towards robots that make modules in a factory and then they get shipped to the site and assembled. 

I don't see people living in 3D printed castles anytime soon, sadly, to start with the technology just has not addressed current building codes.

I'd love to have one like in the link for my kids playhouse in the back yard, they would be the envy of the neighborhood, and I'd be the coolest dad ever.

• Like 3

Here's the Winner of NASA's 3D-Printed Mars Habitat Challenge

The winning habitat, called Marsha, is tall and slim, to reduce the need for construction rovers on unfamiliar terrain, according to AI SpaceFactory. It is designed to be built on a vertically telescoping arm attached to a rover, which stays still during construction.

k9fRAZFQtMRWah2Lgqtv3P-970-80.jpg.webp

https://www.space.com/nasa-3d-printed-habitat-competition-winners.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

Conveniently there is a Science Teacher in St. Paul that actually has a Trebuchet

in the backyard.

My youngest daughter has threatened to build one in our lower field, and throw pumpkins with it (probably at the kayaks in the river, knowing her...).  Fortunately, she is too busy to ever do this...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My youngest daughter has threatened to build one in our lower field, and throw pumpkins with it (probably at the kayaks in the river, knowing her...).  Fortunately, she is too busy to ever do this...

well in that case a Ballista is Required, they Rotate and can be Elevated for much better accuracy and are much faster to reload.

those Paddling Hippie Bastards wont stand a chance!

shes also gonna need a Dungeon in your Castle.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

well in that case a Ballista is Required, they Rotate and can be Elevated for much better accuracy and are much faster to reload.

those Paddling Hippie Bastards wont stand a chance!

shes also gonna need a Dungeon in your Castle.

and when she inevitably misbehaves, I can stick her in that dungeon!  I've been removing everything from my FB act, which is going away... I noted that the first several years were full of funny posts about silly stuff the kids had done, so I've been writing those into a journal for those same kids... that child has been throwing things for a very long time...

• Haha 2

I have not been keeping up as I should.

Last I heard the lab down the road from me was working with a carbon fiber impregnated filament that has a tensile strength approaching 6068 aluminum.

It would be awesome if I could print and test a valve body or a manifold prototype right in the office instead of having it machined elsewhere.

• Like 1