Tachometers - are we kidding ourselves?

gwalchmai

27 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Come on!  Unless that 1,000 pounds is made out of unobtainium there's no material dense enough to get 1,000 pounds in the 'trunk' of a corvette.

This would probably work.  Just don't drop it when you put in t in with the forklift....   Who knows though the D38 may make the plastic go faster, If it doesn't melt it first.  :anim_rofl2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

Edited by GT4494

50 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

if your power curve peaks out in third gear at 5000-RPM, then why would you want to rev to 8000-rpm redline then shift?

When racing, on the longest stretch of a track, it sometimes makes more sense to stay up high in the RPM, beyond the max power curve, because shifting up (and consequently shifting down one more gear at the end of the straight) will cost you more time compared to gaining a little more speed in a higher gear. Hence better lap times. Some bounce of their ref limiter again and again at the end of the longest stretch, because 2 more shift will slow them down on the lap. And some even will use a gearing that ends right there with no more gear up, getting into the ref limiter all the time as well.

Many race mapped or forced induction engines don't fall off before the ref limiter, so it makes sense to spool them all the way up. Some forced induction engines without a limiter will even spool into ever higher HP numbers until they shred themselves.

Very typical stock ZR1 baseline..

1200-hp-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-starts-upgrade-with-a-monster-dyno-run_3.jpg

That being said, this doesn't apply to your average road going car or truck.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

LOL.  I don't remember which model Corvette you have, but I suspect the performance of a 1LE is close enough that a mistake or two would cost you the race.

Is the 1LE version the "equivalent" to the Grand Sport corvette? More aero, wider tires, etc?

22 minutes ago, crockett said:

Is the 1LE version the "equivalent" to the Grand Sport corvette? More aero, wider tires, etc?

Corvette suspension, Corvette rear end including eDiff, I think Corvette tranny too. Wider tires than a stock Corvette. 305/30/20 out back and 275/30/20 up front (though I've gone to 285 up front). Forged rims, upgraded Brembos front and back. Splitter and better spoiler in the rear.  A bunch of added coolers as well.  The only Camaro you can buy and track without voiding the warranty. 

I'm not saying faster than a Corvette, but able to be a part of the conversation with most standard trim Corvettes with the exception of the mid-engine newest generation.   My neighbor a few doors down has a 90s model Corvette and I've torched him more than once.    

I've had a grand total of two cars pull away from me, a Challenger HellCat Redeye Widebody and a Charger Hellcat.  The Challenger had enough pop to burn rubber at about 80 mph.  I can't do that, but it's pretty easy to spin 2nd gear in the 30s. 

Edited by Wyzz Kydd

3 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

Manual Shifting by hearing alone isn’t sufficient for performance driving. If it were then there would be no need for the tachometer. 

you don’t shift at the red line. You shift at the RPM that is best for certain gears. 

if your power curve peaks out in third gear at 5000-RPM, then why would you want to rev to 8000-rpm redline then shift?

Every modern econobox and family sedan in Murca has a tach. How many are used for "performance driving"? 

10 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Every modern econobox and family sedan in Murca has a tach. How many are used for "performance driving"? 

Some are used for performance driving that definitely shouldn't be. I have lost track of the Altimas, Camrys, Civics, trucks, pretty much anything on four wheels, that have wanted to play.

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Corvette suspension, Corvette rear end including eDiff, I think Corvette tranny too. Wider tires than a stock Corvette. 305/30/20 out back and 275/30/20 up front (though I've gone to 285 up front). Forged rims, upgraded Brembos front and back. Splitter and better spoiler in the rear.  A bunch of added coolers as well.  The only Camaro you can buy and track without voiding the warranty. 

I'm not saying faster than a Corvette, but able to be a part of the conversation with most standard trim Corvettes with the exception of the mid-engine newest generation.   My neighbor a few doors down has a 90s model Corvette and I've torched him more than once.    

I've had a grand total of two cars pull away from me, a Challenger HellCat Redeye Widebody and a Charger Hellcat.  The Challenger had enough pop to burn rubber at about 80 mph.  I can't do that, but it's pretty easy to spin 2nd gear in the 30s. 

Get some aggressive racing sway bars from AFE and put them in the most aggressive slot up-front, and middle in the rear.

Zero body roll. One tire in the air when rolling down the drive way sideways. Insane cornering speeds.

image.png.57dc14e456c1e9485e505b8fdfce41ed.png

11 minutes ago, crockett said:

Get some aggressive racing sway bars from AFE and put them in the most aggressive slot up-front, and middle in the rear.

Zero body roll. One tire in the air when rolling down the drive way sideways. Insane cornering speeds.

image.png.57dc14e456c1e9485e505b8fdfce41ed.png

I’ve put a tire in the air already. The pucker factor at +1 g is pretty damn high.

One thing I like is the handling is very linear, very predictable. I’ve driven cars like a Mazda twin turbo RX7 or a Porsche 911 Turbo, where everything was fine, then suddenly it’s not.

I’ll take a look at those sway bars. I’m thinking about dropping a supercharger in it with enough boost to get hp up around 600. Maybe put 335s out back.

1 hour ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I’ve put a tire in the air already. The pucker factor at +1 g is pretty damn high.

One thing I like is the handling is very linear, very predictable. I’ve driven cars like a Mazda twin turbo RX7 or a Porsche 911 Turbo, where everything was fine, then suddenly it’s not.

I’ll take a look at those sway bars. I’m thinking about dropping a supercharger in it with enough boost to get hp up around 600. Maybe put 335s out back.

My plan was a twin turbo setup. Cleetus and his tuners are right in my neck, but the reality is, that I'm already in arrest-able levels any time I just look at the gas pedal. On top of that, traffic is getting worse and I don't feel like driving at 3 AM just to get it out of my system.

As a matter of facts, I have been retraining my brain lately and will only drive my Vette when I feel chill, and only for a relaxed ride to the beach or along those lines.

If I'm going to do any mods, I'll keep it NA, with an aggressive cam, headers, intake, x-pipe and a proper dyno tune. While that adds another 100 horses, it would be more about the massive idle chop and decel crackle. Just for giggles.

Edited by crockett
  • Thanks 1