Homemade Soups...

deputy tom

I like chicken soup with lots of fresh vegetables but I don't like the chicken to be over cooked. Turkey soup is a little different when cooked form teh leftover carcass and can be cooked longer I love Rice in chicken soup but not very often because of the carbs. I also like Ramen noodles added after the soup is already cooked so they don't get soggy. And I like the ramen seasoning packets.

And I love melted cheese in my soup

• 2 weeks later...

My latest creation for a week of good eats.

2 lb split peas

2 packages cubed Simply Potatoes (2.5 lb)

2 lb carrots

2.5 lb cubed ham 

Boil 20 cups of water in a 12 qt pot w/8 garlic cloves and pepper.  Do not add salt now as it may prevent the peas from softening.

Add in peas and simmer for 60 mins

Add in ham and carrots and potatoes

Would have used my fresh garden herbs but did not like their flavor yet, so used dried Mexican oregano and caraway seeds.

A little chicken stock paste adds depth.

Salt to taste and enjoy.  This soup really thickens as it cools, so add water next day to thin out if needed.

Note: go light on salt, the ham is salty and there's lots of it.  The soup will absorb it over a day or so.

827703179_peasoup.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Peng said:

My latest creation for a week of good eats.

2 lb split peas

2 packages cubed Simply Potatoes (2.5 lb)

2 lb carrots

2.5 lb cubed ham 

Boil 20 cups of water in a 12 qt pot w/8 garlic cloves and pepper.  Do not add salt now as it may prevent the peas from softening.

Add in peas and simmer for 60 mins

Add in ham and carrots and potatoes

Would have used my fresh garden herbs but did not like their flavor yet, so used dried Mexican oregano and caraway seeds.

A little chicken stock paste adds depth.

Salt to taste and enjoy.  This soup really thickens as it cools, so add water next day to thin out if needed.

Note: go light on salt, the ham is salty and there's lots of it.  The soup will absorb it over a day or so.

827703179_peasoup.jpg

That looks delicious. I was just watching a pressure canning video and the lady was canning soup just like that. 

When possible, I make a big pot of soup on Sunday for lunches all week. The canned stuff is so full of sodium. This weekend I put a London Broil roast in the crock pot with beef stock overnight to get started. Chopped up all the accompaniments last night and made beef barley soup. Will eat it all week with a smile.

AF5C2791-66B8-4C8D-A44D-39DE0BEF537F.jpeg

Soup is the project for the afternoon today. 

Chicken vegetable, to be precise. Boil a whole chicken in a 3-gal pot, debone it and toss it back in the broth. Celery, carrots, peas, potatoes, corn, green beans, all the spices, heavy on the white pepper. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Gonna be a good evening at Tadbart's house.

Ugh.  Due to lack of freezer space, and no one wanting to buy me a third freezer, I'm canning the chickens I just processed as chicken soup (yes, I canned 20+ quarts of chicken stock first, but that got boring).  I don't particularly like the Ball Book chicken soup recipe though.  It's a decent base for better things, but it just has chicken, stock, carrots, onion, celery, salt & pepper.  There's not even any rosemary in the recipe.  Who the heck makes chicken soup without rosemary?  It did let me use up some celery from the garden before the dang deer started eating it, too, so there's that.