Homemade Soups...

deputy tom

Here's one of my simple go to recipes - a huge vat of chicken soup, good for a week of hearty meals.  I used to make it by boiling a whole large chicken, but lately rotisserie chickens are cheap so I use those now.   Makes prep much faster and easier.

Fill a 12 qt pot 2/3 full and add about 1/2 jar of better than bullion chicken stock paste, bring to boil.  Can add garlic cloves, pepper or paprika now.

Debone 2 rotisserie chickens into chunks and set aside.  This is much easier when they are hot, the fat is like glue when it cools making the job harder.  I just pull it by hand, no knife required.  Dump yummy juice from bags into stock pot.

Chop 2 lb carrots and 2 lb celery, add to pot and simmer over low boil.  Celery takes longer to soften so add it first.

When veggies are soft, add chicken back

Add 1 lb medium egg noodles (I use Mrs. Miller's old fashioned or Yoder's) bring back to boil.

Add dry thyme to taste, about 1/3 jar (I like it herby).  Can add fresh chives also.  Should not need salt but add to taste of course.

After my first few bowls I cool the large pot by putting it in the sink and running cold water over it, it's cool enough to put in the fridge in an hour.  In the winter, I just put it outside for a few hours.

Edited by Peng
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My favorite soup.

Serves 4.

Cube 2-3 peeled russet potatoes.  Chop 2-3 leeks.  Sweat leeks and a clove or two of garlic for a few minutes in EVOO, then add potatoes.  Barely cover with stock, add a bay leaf or two, a plug or two of sherry vinegar, and cook until soft.

Remove bay leaf and puree until smooth/strain if you prefer.  Add stock to desired consistency.

Bring back to a simmer, and add 4 firm white fish fillets (we usually use cod).  Continue at a bare simmer until just cooked through.  Adjust seasoning.

To plate, add a fillet to bowl and ladle in soup and drizzle with good EVOO.  We usually jazz it up by topping it with a crouton, maybe some crispy serrano ham, frizzled leeks, and some parsley oil or some pepper threads.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peng said:

Here's one of my simple go to recipes - a huge vat of chicken soup, good for a week of hearty meals.  I used to make it by boiling a whole large chicken, but lately rotisserie chickens are pretty cheap so I use those now.   Makes prep much faster and easier.

Fill a 12 qt pot 2/3 full and add about 1/2 jar of better than bullion chicken stock paste, bring to boil

Debone 2 rotisserie chickens into chunks and set aside.  This is much easier when they are hot, the fat is like glue when it cools making the job harder.  Dump yummy juice from bags into stock pot.

Chop 2 lb carrots and 2 lb celery, add to pot and simmer over low boil

When veggies are soft, add chicken back

Add 1 lb medium egg noodles (I use Mrs. Miller's old fashioned or Yoder's) bring back to boil.

Add dry thyme to taste, about 1/3 jar (I like it herby),  can add pepper also.  Should not need salt but add to taste of course.

After my first few bowls I cool the large pot by putting it in the sink and running cold water over it, it's cool enough to put in the fridge in an hour.

In the winter just put it outside for a few hours.

I'd eat that. No need to run cool water to cool it off. I'd put it on the back deck and hope the bears leave it alone.

• Like 2

I made Hainanese chicken rice yesterday.  I used the rich, gingery chicken broth to make my second favorite soup tonight.  Hot and sour.

For a saucepan full of broth, I added about a 1"x3" chunk of julienned ginger, 6 dried chopped shiitake caps, 4 dried morel caps, 6 wood ears (I rehydrated the shrooms first), a can of julienned bamboo shoots, a handful of julienned pork shoulder, a couple of sliced scallions, a couple tablespoons of white pepper, some sambal, rice vinegar, a pinch of sugar, miring, a shot of sesame oil, soy/tamari, a couple of beaten eggs, and some cornstarch.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Historian said:

Home made French onion soup.  The process starts with making stock over a couple of days.  I have the butcher break some cow "knuckles" for me.  He goes out back with a bag and beats them open and the marrow is free to cook.

I love FOS.  I start by painting the bones in tomato paste mixed with a little water and roasting at 325 until nicely browned.  It adds some complexity.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Czervik said:

I love FOS.  I start by painting the bones in tomato paste mixed with a little water and roasting at 325 until nicely browned.  It adds some complexity.  

Never heard of that.  But i can see that being done. 

Soup is a wonderful thing.  Sometimes i make a soup out of whatever i can find in the fridge.  

• Like 2

Just never thought of Soup as anything but lunch with a Grilled cheese or Ham sandwich.  Bein I only do Brunch and dinner Now days...I don't do much soup. 

I miss "soup"...  Minestrone, with a Good Pastrami sandwich at Two Jays...back in 2010...when I was runnin the Trouble Truck in "O" town... 

Damnit man...

• Like 2

Al's crab bisque from tonight.  All measurements are approximate.

About 4 cups of crab stock from boiling crabs (I also poached a couple dozen shrimp in the same liquid)

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1 cup white wine (no oak)

1/2 bulb of fennel, diced

1/2 maui onion, diced

2 stalks celery, diced

1/2-1 cup of cream cheese

1/2 cup cheddar or similar

2 cups picked crab

4 tbsp butter

Old Bay

Sweat veg in butter until soft.  Add liquid and reduce a bit.  Add cheese, then puree.  If you don't have a Super Bassomatic 76 or better blender, leave out the cheese and add it when you return the liquid to the pan.  Strain through chinois, return to heat, and warm crab briefly.  Plate, and add a sprinkle of Old Bay.

• Thanks 1

Tortilla soup. 

chicken, broth, carrots, bell peppers, jalapeños,  celery, onion, tomatoes, oregano, garlic, cumin, cilantro, pepper. 

Serve over tortilla strips. 

CD302C5F-CA28-4D75-8DE2-CD3CACCEFC9E.jpeg

Oh. I forgot lime juice. Lots of lime juice. 

Edited by Batesmotel
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Just made a big pot of CHICKEN SOUP. Cut up a whole chicken, in 3 quarts of water, add a couple of cut up carrots, a couple of quartered onions, half a dozen cut up celery stalks a quartered parsnip, some parsley, dill if you have some, salt, pepper a few chicken bouillon  cubes, few other spices...bring to a boil, skim off some of the "fat", simmer for a a few hours, remove chicken pieces...shred chicken...some pasta (shells, Ditalini, elbows etc) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. G made up an Instant Pot of vegetable soup yesterday. She started with a pot roast we got from a local beef ranch and added her family's special soup mix. They put up quarts of mix every year made of tomatos, corn, green and lima beans, okra, and whatever else is handy from the garden that year. She added potatos, macaroni, spices, etc. It worked out well. :)