Another lesson from the dead.

Batesmotel

Lesson: Do not drop the phone service for a deceased loved one until ALL of their estate is settled Plus at least two years. 

A relative died last year. His wife is having major problems setting parts of his estate because after his death she dropped his phone service. In part to save money but largely to spite his family and friends. No phone, no easy way to contact his family. 

With the photo number gone she is going through hell recovering his passwords and various account numbers. She thought she had all of his banking info but there are investments and stock at previous employers. Websites he did business with and she needs to close his professional accounts. The list goes on and on. 

Recovering the info she needs is all tied to the phone number. She is in such a mess that she needs to get a new phone and her his number back. The old number is inactive but the carrier might require a court order to reissue it to her. 

If she had the phone, his passwords and account info this would all be easy. Really sucks when everyone wants to verify who she is by sending a text to his old number. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

As many of us have older parents, have the bank accts settled for full access.  It might not be death.  I had an aunt have a stroke, paralyzed right side. Couldn't speak.  When my uncle started getting sick, they had  their oldest daughter pwr of atny,  medical, bank checks, and funeral etc.  

Do that stuff BEFORE illness or death,  while everyone is think ing with a clear head.  While the parent can explain why they want things a certain way.  Cuts down fights amongst family.  

• Like 2

When I am dead and gone, my phone will be of no use to anyone. I keep zero information on my phone and won't even connect it to my computer.

I think keeping anything important on any small, easily lost or stolen devices is nothing short of stupid!

I recharge the battery on my flip-top-beam-me-up-Scotty phone every five (5) or (6) months. At times I turn it on just to see if it's still alive.

The only significant message that I read through it was "Nxxxx arriving today at 5:00 PM". That was shortly after being acquired. 

I didn't ask...?

It’s not just the info on the phone. It’s the loss of the phone number. That’s the number everyone wants to use to send confirmation to for restoring or resetting passwords. It just makes everything harder. If she had his phone in hand it would be easier. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, jmohme said:

When I am dead and gone, my phone will be of no use to anyone. I keep zero information on my phone and won't even connect it to my computer.

I think keeping anything important on any small, easily lost or stolen devices is nothing short of stupid!

I'm thinking of writing an address book or a rolodex like we used to have in a prior century. :fred:

5 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

I'm thinking of writing an address book or a rolodex like we used to have in a prior century. :fred:

A real problem is when you are still alive, forget a password, and no longer have the phone number you used when you created the account earlier. I try to keep my manual list up to date but may forget. 

15 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

A real problem is when you are still alive, forget a password, and no longer have the phone number you used when you created the account earlier. I try to keep my manual list up to date but may forget. 

Here ya go. This is what my daughter got for me to help with my CRSIMG_1709.thumb.JPG.95758f4728a64fe3102ef67355f4de51.JPG

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.a534d7ad028ebd5f3796090ebb064f76.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My sister set all of my mom's accounts up to autopay with no receipts coming to the house.  I had a hell of a time tracking down all of the account information so that I could continue paying with no penalties for a year and a half (until we sold a house and could pay off some bills). 

I had one bill from the B of A for a line of credit.  She owed $150,000 dollars.  I knew the minimum monthly amount for that particular old bill.  That's what she had paid for years and I could only afford to pay the minimum.  The amount varied from month to month and one time the little counter Nazi at the bank informed me that the amount I was trying to pay was not enough.  so, I asked what would be enough.  She said that she couldn't tell me since my name was not on the account and I'd need a note from my mom.  I told her she was dead.  She told me I'd need proof of power of attorney.  I told her I didn't have that with me, and that I had been paying the bill this way for a year.  I incremented the amount ten dollars and asked if it was enough.  She said no.  I incremented another ten dollars.  She said yes.  I gave her a check.

But, figuring out who to talk to about back taxes and other unpaid bills was a nightmare.

Meanwhile, my sister continued to live in my mom's house for free and pretty much treated me like crap (like she had my entire life up to that point).  Once the estate properties were sold, and I got paid back the $180,000 that I had loaned to my mom over my lifetime, we distributed the rest of the estate and went our separate ways.

after dealing with our parents accts I have a complete list of my desires, account #s and insurance stuff etc. along woth all my online stuff with IDs and passwords written out.  I have let my youngest (she's 34 and an HR manager) look through it and see if she could think of anything else. 

Next is just taking it to the bank and locking it up in safety deposit box.    Yes I respect and trust her.  :)