How do you make coffee?

Sparks

I start by roasting a small batch of green coffee beans. Preferably Tanzanian Peaberry.

In the morning I grind just what I need for my morning big ass cup and brew it in an Aero Press.

And always remember........

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 10.26.47 AM.png

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Historian said:

Stansport Stainless Steel Percolator Coffee Pot & Reviews ...

We keep one of these at all times. A 20 cup pot. There is a french press somewhere in the cabinet, and a K cup /espresso machine on the coffee station. Mostly the BUNN gets the call. Fast and drinkable.

We think we are busy, but mostly just familiar and habits are hard to break.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

We think we are busy, but mostly just familiar and habits are hard to break.

I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee.  So mine makes about six cups.   In reality it's more like about 4.  

Make it once a day.   But there's something about stove top perc-ed coffee that makes it taste different.   Takes about 15 minutes to make.

• Like 1

I stopped drinking coffee about 3 years ago because it no longer gave me a caffeine buzz no matter how strong I made it or how much I drank and I never really drank it for the taste. Coffee never tastes as good as it smells, although a little chicory makes it less bitter.

But when I used to make coffee, I used dark roast and espresso beans and ground them myself and used a French press that made 4 cups or two large cups, the kind that I like.

25 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I stopped drinking coffee about 3 years ago because it no longer gave me a caffeine buzz no matter how strong I made it or how much I drank and I never really drank it for the taste. Coffee never tastes as good as it smells, although a little chicory makes it less bitter.

But when I used to make coffee, I used dark roast and espresso beans and ground them myself and used a French press that made 4 cups or two large cups, the kind that I like.

My daughter gave me a setup to make cold brew a couple of Christmas's ago. It takes a full pound of coarse ground coffee and maybe a liter of water.

Just let it sit for a day or two, pull out the screen with the grounds and put the lid on the glass container full of cold brew.  What she failed to tell me was that this method gives you something like 900x the caffeine in that is in a quart of espresso.

If you want a caffeine buzz, give that a go. The stuff made the roots of my hair tingle. In fact, I am pretty sure I was shooting sparks from my head and brought Marty McFly back from to the future!

If that fails to light your fire, try some chocolate covered espresso beans and wash them down with the same cold brew!

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 2

Love this thing - very simple to use and clean, and it makes a very smooth rich cup.  I don't care for the unique and $$ filters but they can be re-used easily 5-6 times before they fall apart or affect the taste of the brew.

Capture.JPG

• Administrators

The smell of the dish soap my grandmother used (Palmolive) and the smell of her percolator brewing are the two smells that always come to mind when I think about her or her house. Either smell strongly triggers memories of her and her little post-war pre-fab house. Scent memories are powerful memories.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Though the taste is stronger/more robust, this will knock the caffeine content in the head. The longer it is roasted, the more zip it takes out.

Coffee shouldn't be bitter. My experience with chicory has been very bitter, and bad tasting. It is supposed to have health benefits, but YUK. It has been used as a filler for coffee since who knows, and some folks actually like the stuff.

58 minutes ago, Peng said:

Love this thing - very simple to use and clean, and it makes a very smooth rich cup.  I don't care for the unique and $$ filters but they can be re-used easily 5-6 times before they fall apart or affect the taste of the brew.

Capture.JPG

I have a similar poor over, but mine has a reusable screen, and yes it does make a very smooth cup of coffee.

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Though the taste is stronger/more robust, this will knock the caffeine content in the head. The longer it is roasted, the more zip it takes out.

Coffee shouldn't be bitter. My experience with chicory has been very bitter, and bad tasting. It is supposed to have health benefits, but YUK. It has been used as a filler for coffee since who knows, and some folks actually like the stuff.

Espresso and dark roast coffee used to give me a good caffeine buzz, but after I reached a certain age, It just didn't work anymore no matter what kind of coffee I drank.

My body chemistry must have changed much in the same way as hyper active kids who they give Ritalin to, to calm them down. Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is a stimulant to people with a normal body chemistry, but for people with ADD it has the opposite effect and that's what coffee does to me. It doesn't wake me up in the morning, it makes me want to go back to sleep.

3 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Espresso and dark roast coffee used to give me a good caffeine buzz, but after I reached a certain age, It just didn't work anymore no matter what kind of coffee I drank.

My body chemistry must have changed much in the same way as hyper active kids who they give Ritalin to, to calm them down. Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is a stimulant to people with a normal body chemistry, but for people with ADD it has the opposite effect and that's what coffee does to me. It doesn't wake me up in the morning, it makes me want to go back to sleep.

Yea, me too. I drink it because I enjoy it. I see people who make it very complicated. That takes the enjoyment out of it for me. Probably not them, but we all have our preference.

My daughter gave me a setup to make cold brew a couple of Christmas's ago. It takes a full pound of coarse ground coffee and maybe a liter of water.

Just let it sit for a day or two, pull out the screen with the grounds and put the lid on the glass container full of cold brew.  What she failed to tell me was that this method gives you something like 900x the caffeine in that is in a quart of espresso.

If you want a caffeine buzz, give that a go. The stuff made the roots of my hair tingle. In fact, I am pretty sure I was shooting sparks from my head and brought Marty McFly back from to the future!

If that fails to light your fire, try some chocolate covered espresso beans and wash them down with the same cold brew!

Toddy cafe. 1 lb 8 O’Clock coarse ground arabica and 9 cups water for 12 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad had a Nicro like this. My job as a kid was to watch it as it almost boiled over and lift it off the heat. The vacuum in the pot would pull the coffee back into the pot. Then I had to hold it over the heat until it almost boiled over again. Do that twice and it was good for mom. Do it three or four times and it was good for dad. 

5CED4467-E197-41E3-AEB6-5A930EEE0AA7.jpeg

I prefer an electric percolator, or even better, a stovetop percolator. A few years ago Mrs. G got a drip coffee maker with a Keurig attachment, which she prefers. So we compromised. We put my percolator in the attic and use her auto-drip-o-Kuerig-a-matic. Except when weather knocks the power off and we go to McDonald's.

• Haha 1