Cast iron!!!!!

Sparks

3 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I dig pans. 

image.jpg

Bates,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you might consider some help. Just saying.

Nice collection, but I never was able to use stainless without even water sticking to the pan. Never tried copper. I figure it ain't broke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

12 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Bates,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you might consider some help. Just saying.

This is actually scaled way back from where it once was. But the garage is bad. Not just pans but commercial restaurant gear. Most used just a couple days a year for big parties. Culinary school ruined me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have never serious used enameled iron. I want a good Dutch oven in enamel but I’ve never found a good used one without cracks. Much of what I own were used. Especially stainless that people couldn’t clean correctly. Barkeepers Friend is the secret to cleaning abused copper and stainless. 

• Like 1

Wow, Bates.   You must truly enjoy cooking.

We have several cast iron items.  Love the Dutch oven.  That thing is amazing.   And of course regular pans.  Ive been known to use them inside the house and on the grill.

Once made a venison stew on the Dutch oven that cooked for many hours on the grill under wood.

That was a fine meal.

• Like 1

I never set out to get this much but right place, right time and it happened. Like I said a lot of it was used and badly abused or neglected and I got it real cheap. Like 5% of new for All-Clad pans. 

A lot of this is headed to my kids someday. I hung it because I’ve broken my back a couple times and bending over sucks. So I put things up instead of down in cabinets. 

We have two big parties here each year lots of people and lots of cooking. On those days this place rivals a commercial kitchen. 

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

The thing about cast iron cookware is it does well when treated right. If someone says something bad about your cooking you can beat them with it!

Even if someone abused it, it can probably be rehabilitated. 

Edited by Batesmotel

Cast iron here for most of the cooking, and stainless Lustre Craft for everything else. Cooked up a pile of moose steaks in the cast iron a few days ago and enjoyed eating leftovers with no cooking for a few days. Tonight I slapped a bunch of Halibut steaks in the Lustre Craft and enjoyed. Have enough left over for tomorrow along with the home made tartar suace.

• Like 1

My blessed mother had a huge cast iron that she got from her mother in the ‘20s

she did everything in it. Eggs, bacon, biscuits, even cornbread. She had a coffee can full of lard on top of the stove, whenever she was cooking it would soften up. She would just stick her spatula in it and into the skillet. 
she would n]make an eb[noire dinner of pork chops and fried potatoes, onions, flour. All at once.

nothing stuck to it after so long

• Like 2