Anyone else as dissapointed as me in the Gen 5 40 cal glocks?

Borg warner

Yes, they are making a Gen 5 in 40 caliber and possibly even 357 Sig, But they're making the slide thicker and heavier to compensate for the lack of the third pin. This means some holsters will no longer work with these guns but what's worse is that while a thicker heavier slide wouldn't be as bad with a duty sized gun like the G22, It's a much more serious problem with the G23 and the G27 which are already wide to begin with, being double stacks, but where even the slightest increase in outer dimensions and weight can make a big difference in concealment and carry comfort.

I'm one of the few people who liked the 45 GAP when it first came out because I'm a reloader and would have no problem with ammo cost or availability, and to have a lightweight "Commander sized" striker fired 45, the same exact size and weight as a Glock 19 seemed perfect, but what the deal-breaker was for me was when I found out that it had a thicker, heavier slide.

Additionally, I haven't looked at or shot any Gen 5 guns, except for a G19x, but I've heard that the G26's have fatter slides as well, which would be unfortunate for all the reasons stated above.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, Borg warner said:

... I've heard that the G26's have fatter slides as well...

The Gen 5 G26 doesn't have the wider slide of the .40 models.  

I don't think there's any difference at all.  I didn't notice any while I briefly owned a G26.5.  The official width of the pistol may be larger on the gen.5, but that would be because of the ambi slide stop lever.

The Gen.5 G26 felt and looked great.  I loved the idea of it, especially the absence of finger grooves like on the G43, which I much prefer.

My G26.5, however, was problematic.  First, I learned that I've been spoiled as a lefty because the slide stop lever is never in the way for me on guns that only have a left side lever or those with very low profile ambi levers (like the double stack M&P line).  I didn't care for having to worry about where my thumbs were.

Worse and more importantly, my early model gen.5 would do this at least once every magazine:

1956264026_G26_5Jam.thumb.jpg.697ef20ec66c911187b8ce48efb56ae1.jpg

While I realize my experience was the exception and not the rule, 600 rounds of break-in with constant jamming and a trip to Smyrna to sort it out kinda soured me on the new gun.  Meanwhile, my G26.3 fired all the same ammo on the same range trips with no problem, despite the less than ideal finger groove placement.  The gen.3 stayed; the gen.5 went away.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crockett said:

.40 S&W is for the girls to begin with. Some female FBI agents couldn't deal with the 10mm. :D

There are a lot of grown men who can't handle the 40 and say that it's too "Snappy".  I have a G23 with a Glock G32  barrel and a KKM 40-to-9 conversion barrel and there isn't any difference worth mentioning between the recoil of the 3 rounds especially with Plus +P ammo in the 9mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Borg warner said:

There are a lot of grown men who can't handle the 40 and say that it's too "Snappy".  I have a G23 with a Glock G32  barrel and a KKM 40-to-9 conversion barrel and there isn't any difference worth mentioning between the recoil of the 3 rounds especially with Plus +P ammo in the 9mm.

Yes- some of the 9mm ammo feels like a .357 Sig (to me). Particularly the “Chicago load,” Federal 115-gr+P+ which I carried regularly in a G19, before I started carrying my G32. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 1:47 PM, Borg warner said:

Yep. Girly men whine that 40 is too Snnapppayyyyyy, but put +P and +P+ in 9MM. It levels the field to a tabletop.

LostWife say Girly Men should put on their big girl panties. I'll refrain from the rest of the statement. All 2 bits and a dollar grandmother of her judges you.

rolling_zpsbd53a833.gif

I don't care!  I like the .40 in a G27 and I put thousands of rounds through it.  I like the way it shoots and feels.  Especially with extended magazines.

I then carried a .357 magnum and loved the round also.  I carrried full house defensive rounds in a 6 inch for many years.

I changed to a g41 some time ago, since it looks like the ghetto is going to numbers.  Now I have magazines starting at 14 rounds, with some hitting power.

I love shooting every one of the above, I don't think any of them are "snappy" or a problem.  Just a sweet assortment of rounds that I would carry again considering the threats they oppose.

I don't shoot 9mm simply because all the others are pleasant to me to shoot.  I have nothing aginst the round, just that if I can be comfortable with more I will do it.

I like shooting pistols and am pleased with all I have.  No caliber wars from me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had all three Gen5 .40's, the 27, 23 and 22.  I let the 23 go but kept the 27 and 22.  May pick up another 23 later but for me the size differences aren't enough to justify keeping the 23 around.  Anyhow, I do like them.   The slides are thicker than 9mm Glocks but not as thick as the .45/10mm Glocks.  The barrels are also thicker than previously, only .02" thinner than the barrel on my G20.  They shoot well, accuracy seems fine and the recoil is diminished as well, not that I ever complained about .40 recoil but it is softer for sure.  Overall I'm pleased with them although it's kind of a catch-22, they shoot easier but the thicker slides are going to ruin holster commonality.

• 1 month later...

I like my Gen 5 G 22 MOS. It is softer shooting than my Gen 3 and I really like that it has no finger grooves. It only fit one of my older G22 holsters ( JM Custom ) but fits all of my 45 GAP and G 21 holsters. I have had Gen 5 G19's and G17 and sold them all. I have a G19X , G48 MOS, and awaiting hopefully a G45 MOS from a recent GSSF match.My wife has a Gen 5 G34 MOS. The only downside to the 9mm Gen 5"s and 19X are that they have a shorter chamber leade and we have to use a shorter OAL than on previous Gen 3 & Gen 4 pistols. So far this hasn't been a problem on my Gen 5 G22 MOS.

Gen 3 Gen 5 G22.jpeg

Gen5 G34 MOS with Holosun 507c (2).jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...