Pop up ads

aomagrat

On 11/5/2020 at 7:17 PM, Swampfox762 said:

I use Brave browser...and never see any ads.  Phone or computer.

I'm basically technology illiterate and don't know much about computers but when I had internet explorer it must have had some kind of built in ad blocker and I never saw any ads, but sometimes I'd get a notice that I needed to turn off my ad blocker to read certain content and I didn't know how to turn the ad blocker off. Now I know how to turn it off on my new browser (Waterfox, which is a simplified version of Firefox) an on but I don't want to turn it off. 

I use uBlock Origin and never see any ads on any website. It works perfectly and has been working for a number of years

On 11/2/2020 at 9:34 PM, ASH said:

duck duck go browser and ghostery   do well . 

DDG doesn't have a browser for PC, probably for MAC either. They do have a great one for Android.

DDG search engine is good, StartPage is as well. Both are Google based searches but keep you private, supposedly. They have never done anything to make me doubt them.

Want more? Qwant, or MetGer are very good. Qwant is a European based engine with a Google based search. MetGer is European, and a Bing based engine. I really like Qwant, but check them out. These are private and play by a different set of rules than US based. Folks across the pond seem to take privacy rather serious.

Browsers? For now, FireFox. As far as I'm concerned this is the best thing going for a lot of reasons. It is fast, stable, easy, and has a lot of internet support on how to do things. They do their own thing and are an above average browser, lots of bling, customization, easy to use, and still holding the private status. They went goofy and had a takeover a few years ago. So far so good, but be prepared to bail.

Brave is a Chromium based browser as are the rest that I'll mention. It seems to do everything it says. It may or may not be a bit faster than the others I'll mention, but it would be hard to go wrong.

Chromium came before Chrome, despite internet folk lore. It is open source, pretty secure, stable, lacks some features, but they have been added to the late comers, and just like Google, made the program their own. If you can find a download these days, and are adventurous, try it out. If you use a Linux OS, it is much easier to come by. I'm a fan, but it is being outpaced by folks using it for a base program.

Opera. Not sure what to think of this one now. They sold out to a Chinese company, and that alone makes them suspect. Good Browser, a little difficult to figure out, but once you do most are happy with it. I never really cared that much for it, FWIW.

Vivaldi. I've been using this one for a couple of months. Some execs from FF, Opera, and who ever got together and came up with it. It can be secure enough to be annoying, much like Brave. You can see the Opera fingerprints, but I just like it better than I ever liked Opera. More customization than others seemed to be for me, but not to the FF level. Secure, stable, fast, and highly customizable. It can be a little intimidating during setup because of the multiple choices, but once you do it, things seem seamless.

YMMV

Edge Chromium (need I say it?) is nice and fast.  Plus you have the option of using Microsoft and/or Chrome extensions.  I haven't figured out if one is better than the other, but I did find Chrome extensions that Microsoft did not offer.

I migrated from Firefox to Edge Chromium after I noticed FF was failing to delete cookies/cache on exit, even with options set to do so.  Oddly enough I was having issues with logging into my bank with FF and not Edge using much of the same extensions.

Brave is great if you also want to avoid finger printing.  It randomizes the user-agent.

All three browsers are on my computers and I bounce between them.

Hey minderasr, were you updating your FF. I ask because I've never had so much as a hiccup from the browser and still use it a lot. Like you, I have several that I like and bounce between them. When my main two are too finicky with security, I go to the FF.

If you think Edge will keep your web presence "Private", you may be disappointed. It will run to MS and give them free reign of your every keystroke, and page visited. Like Chrome, it works near flawlessly, and avoiding reporting can be a test of integrity, if not impossible, but you don't have to serve it up on a platter. Some don't care, and these are great for them.

20 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Hey minderasr, were you updating your FF. I ask because I've never had so much as a hiccup from the browser and still use it a lot. Like you, I have several that I like and bounce between them. When my main two are too finicky with security, I go to the FF.

If you think Edge will keep your web presence "Private", you may be disappointed. It will run to MS and give them free reign of your every keystroke, and page visited. Like Chrome, it works near flawlessly, and avoiding reporting can be a test of integrity, if not impossible, but you don't have to serve it up on a platter. Some don't care, and these are great for them.

Yes I was religious about keeping FF up to date.  Had browser cache set to zero (in about:config).  Running a bunch of extensions geared towards this end; cookie auto-delete, canvas blocker, css exfil protection, decentralize, disconnect, duckduckgo privacy essentials, https everywhere, privacy badger, ublock origin, and violent monkey with some anti-ad scripts.

Note that if your run the duckduckgo extension, you have to white-list theboresite or the pages won't load properly.

As for Edge, I realize everything Microsoft reports back to Microsoft.  But there are ways to disable telemetry.  One such method is running O&O ShutUp10.  I enabled only the recommended settings, but I did have to loosen some of the settings for Edge in order to make it work they way I like.  If you're adventurous, you can really tighten Win10 down but only if you really know what you're doing.

I'm running the same extensions on Edge that I ran on Firefox.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...