Steel Pennies

Maser

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Maser said:

So I was gathering my kid's change together this morning to take to the Coinstar and I was surprised what I found.  I didn't find 1 but rather 3 steel 1943 pennies.  Kinda cool having pennies that stick to magnets. ?

20201020_061500.jpg

20201020_061540.jpg

If you want something really rare: Those steel pennies were minted in 1943. That year, a worker at one of the mints (I forget which one), mistakenly dumped a bag of blank copper planchettes into a penny coining press and 500 copper 1943 pennies were minted. Such mistakes are usually caught by the staff at the mint, but these pennies made it into circulation.

Today, less the fifty are known to still exist. In 1996, one of them sold for more than $82,000. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

You found 3 steel cents, in nearly uncirculated condition, one from each of the 3 mints? Must have raided a coin collection.

Yeah, they're most likely from my wife's father.  He's one of those guys that can't ever seem to commit to a hobby so he just ditches it and tries something else.  Hopefully he gives my boys some pre-60s quarters next time to feed my love for silver!  :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Must have raided a coin collection.

I got a bunch of old coins in change,  from a register (multiple repeat purchases) at a 7-11 in one visit.  I instantly assumed some dopin' basement-dweller found Grandpa's mason jars in a back closet,  and bought some smokes and a 40.

1 hour ago, Maser said:

So I was gathering my kid's change together this morning to take to the Coinstar and I was surprised what I found.  I didn't find 1 but rather 3 steel 1943 pennies.  Kinda cool having pennies that stick to magnets. ?

Did you notice you have a complete mint set?  S for San Fran's mint, P for Philly and the blank no mark is a Denver.

They are also in remarkably fine shape.  

You should put those aside carefully.   It's a very nice set!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric said:

If you want something really rare: Those steel pennies were minted in 1943. That year, a worker at one of the mints (I forget which one), mistakenly dumped a bag of blank copper planchettes into a penny coining press and 500 copper 1943 pennies were minted. Such mistakes are usually caught by the staff at the mint, but these pennies made it into circulation.

Today, less the fifty are known to still exist. In 1996, one of them sold for more than $82,000. 

I think it was Philly,  if i'm not mistaken that made them.  I think i've seen a San Fran as well.    I think about 40 are known.  One came up for sale not long ago.

Edited by Historian

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I was watching Pawn Stars the other day and a fellow brought in a 1944 steel cent. I can't remember what it was worth but it was a pretty penny. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

I was watching Pawn Stars the other day and a fellow brought in a 1944 steel cent. I can't remember what it was worth but it was a pretty penny. 

That's weird. 1943 is the only year they were minted. I wonder if it was an error coin?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

That's a Holly Grail coin.   Upwards of a million if it's in perfect condition.

That time period of the 1940s is one of the most amazing in our nation's history.

A good amount of the copper that did not go to coinage went to wires on navy ships and shells.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

That's weird. 1943 is the only year they were minted. I wonder if it was an error coin?

Cross over at the end of one production.

Usually such things are destroyed.  There might be 25 to 30 or so of the 44s.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

Steel coinage outside of 1943 are considered to be errors.   Any that were seen were supposed to be destroyed at the mint.

Cuds on Coins

This is an example of a penny with a die crack during production.   These normally are tossed....but sometimes collectors find them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

That's a Holly Grail coin.   Upwards of a million if it's in perfect condition.

That time period of the 1940s is one of the most amazing in our nation's history.

A good amount of the copper that did not go to coinage went to wires on navy ships and shells.

And a lot of the wiring at Oak Ridge and other places was made from melted down silver coins, most frequently silver dollars. 

14 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

And a lot of the wiring at Oak Ridge and other places was made from melted down silver coins, most frequently silver dollars. 

They did use a lot of silver.  If you read the book, "Now it can be told," by Groves he goes into this.  He said they had an absurdly accurate accounting for all of their money but about $3 and change.

Part of it silver. 14,700 tons of silver.

That book is a book on project management.

Edited by Historian

8 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Another wartime coinage was silver nickels. These were minted with large P or D or S mint marks above the dome so they would be easy to sort out after the war for silver recovery. 

73DB4CAF-94BE-48D7-AD58-4259EB9DD7E0.jpeg

75C791D5-18CC-4FBE-A889-ABC26EACA45E.jpeg

I got a silver nickle back in change a while back.

• Like 1