World’s Fastest Production Car

Eric

• Administrators

The top speed fight between today’s productions super cars is unreal. The SSC Tuatara recently went 331mph. It had to back up that run for the record and ended up with a 2-run average of 316mph. That is crazy. My kind of crazy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Do they make one run each direction? 

Yeah, probably. If there were grades on the road, or even strong winds, it might explain the slower second run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

At low speeds too much power too soon would burn tires and possibly send the car sideways. 

I am having a hard time imagining a set of tires that would hold together at over 300 mph for more than a few minutes.

• Thanks 1

An expensive collector's car that few buyers will ever drive. 

Based on the quality of the U.S. Interstate system, I wouldn't drive 100 MPH or any faster. The road quality is terrible, there is trash on the road surface, and most Americans can't drive well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Yeah, probably. If there were grades on the road, or even strong winds, it might explain the slower second run.

Knew that salt flat and dry lake speed records required one run each direction, and within a certain time frame, but wasn’t sure about runs on highways. 

5 hours ago, jmohme said:

I am having a hard time imagining a set of tires that would hold together at over 300 mph for more than a few minutes.

When the Veyron took the crown some years ago, I remember reading something about it and the details about some of its parts. The tires were $6,500 each and only lasted 15 minutes at the 253 mph limit. Which was 3 minutes longer than the 26.4 gallon fuel tank would go before it ran dry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deputy tom said:

Cool car but WAY too fast for me. My max speeds were 125mph in a car and 132mph on a motorcycle. Once each, never again. tom.

135 mph on a motorcycle and 161 in my RX7 twin turbo.  135 on a bike is a lot scarier than 160 in a car!

Pretty cool.  In today's world you can walk out of a dealership with a new car that puts out well over 400 hp/400 torque, does zero to 60 in 4 seconds, the quarter mile in the mid 12s has a top speed over 160 mph, can pull over a G on the skidpad, can average over 20 mpg hwy, and costs less than $40k. 

Modern engineering marvels. 

• Like 2