Germ Key..

deputy tom

4 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Always somebody tryin to make a buck. I'll just use my hands then my sanitizer in my pocket.  I don't want to put germs in my pocket!:biggrin:

These are a cheap alternative to the ones on certain knife sites in the $25.00 and up group. tom. :fred:

Edited by deputy tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Always somebody tryin to make a buck. I'll just use my hands then my sanitizer in my pocket.  I don't want to put germs in my pocket!:biggrin:

You mean like the ones on the sanitizer bottle? :biggrin:

• Haha 4

• Administrators
Just now, tadbart said:

Silver, copper, and brass have antimicrobial properties. One made out of one of those metals makes pretty good sense.

Yeah, but only silver works against the undead. We should take that into account.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, Eric said:

Yeah, but only silver works against the undead. We should take that into account.

You ain't wrong. But I wonder if a vampire would back off, cover his face, and say "Owwwww!" if he got poked in the eye with a brass one?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I embrace the germ.  The more you are constantly exposed to,  the better you can fight off any infections.

I've never used hand sanitizer.  Just dust your hands together, like blowing on food that gets dropped on the ground. 

5 second rule!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

Silver, copper, and brass have antimicrobial properties. One made out of one of those metals makes pretty good sense.

It depends. 

Yes, these metals exhibit the "Oligodynamic Effect" and it’s defined as a toxic effect of metal ions on living cells, algae, molds, spores, fungi, viruses, prokaryotic and eukaryotic microorganisms, even in relatively low concentrations.

Two things prevent it the Oligodynamic Effect from working. Lacquers applied over the metals to prevent tarnishing and the other are oxides formed from the tarnishing of these metals from perspiration/sweat. So if you expect the little brass key to work, you better boil the hell out of it first and polish it to remove the coating just like Eric did in Army BCT, then polish it every day prior to use. 

You might as well wear nitrile gloves everywhere.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, blueiron said:

It depends. 

Yes, these metals exhibit the "Oligodynamic Effect" and it’s defined as a toxic effect of metal ions on living cells, algae, molds, spores, fungi, viruses, prokaryotic and eukaryotic microorganisms, even in relatively low concentrations.

Two things prevent it the Oligodynamic Effect from working. Lacquers applied over the metals to prevent tarnishing and the other are oxides formed from the tarnishing of these metals from perspiration/sweat. So if you expect the little brass key to work, you better boil the hell out of it first and polish it to remove the coating just like Eric did in Army BCT, then polish it every day prior to use. 

You might as well wear nitrile gloves everywhere.

I got so freakng sick of shining brass. No one ever told me I was fighting a bacteriological assault, or I might have put a little more elbow grease into it. :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

As much as possible, I avoid healthy foods and vegetables.  This way my body can't support parasitic life forms, and what crawls on me, dies.  I call it prevention.  My wife says a shower now and then is also a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I got so freakng sick of shining brass. No one ever told me I was fighting a bacteriological assault, or I might have put a little more elbow grease into it. :biggrin:

The Captain of my ship came into the radio shack one day and announced to me, that the companion way shared by my radio shack and his cabin, was now my responsibility.  Deck, Brightwork (fire fighting valves and nozzles).

I got a power  buffer and a can of Dutch Cleanser and ground off the old surface of the traditional maroon vinyl flooring.

Then I put multi-layers of liquid wax on the vinyl.  Buffing liberally each coat.  For a finish, I put on two layers of Johnson Paste wax.  Then buffed them with a towel over the buffing pad, until it looked like the rising sun!

I buffed and polished the bright work till it damn near glowed.  Then (because I don't believe in doing the same job repeatedly) I coated all the brightwork lightly with Silicon grease to prevent tarnishing from the salt spray coming through the weather hatch.

So.  We had an fire drill!

The weather was slightly heavy, and the spray through the weather hatch coated everything with a misting of salt water.

The Captain came out of his cabin on a run.  His heel hit the really shiny beautiful vinyl deck and he slid unimpeded right though the hatch, and caught himself bent over the lifeline on the weather deck.

Then the damage control party ran into the hatch and pulled out the fire hose.   Unfortunately, the valves were so slick they couldn't turn them.

As soon as the Captain righted himself, he stormed into the radio shack and loudly ordered me to never touch anything in that passageway again.

I guess I was never really regular Navy material.  the passageway was a testament to beauty though, for a few days.

Oh, there was only one radioman to our ship..... Me.  And at that time Radiomen were a critical rate, not enough to go around.  So a ship couldn't go to sea without one.  He could restrict me to the ship, but I was on it anyway so that wasn't a big deal.  

He couldn't put me into the brig because his ship couldn't go to sea then.  I had a good, albeit, short Navy experience.  I have a good conduct medal too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I embrace the germ.  The more you are constantly exposed to,  the better you can fight off any infections.

I've never used hand sanitizer.  Just dust your hands together, like blowing on food that gets dropped on the ground. 

Does the 5 second rule apply here? I’ve heard the 5 second rule is overcome by a 2 second dog

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

The Captain of my ship came into the radio shack one day and announced to me, that the companion way shared by my radio shack and his cabin, was now my responsibility.  Deck, Brightwork (fire fighting valves and nozzles).

I got a power  buffer and a can of Dutch Cleanser and ground off the old surface of the traditional maroon vinyl flooring.

Then I put multi-layers of liquid wax on the vinyl.  Buffing liberally each coat.  For a finish, I put on two layers of Johnson Paste wax.  Then buffed them with a towel over the buffing pad, until it looked like the rising sun!

I buffed and polished the bright work till it damn near glowed.  Then (because I don't believe in doing the same job repeatedly) I coated all the brightwork lightly with Silicon grease to prevent tarnishing from the salt spray coming through the weather hatch.

So.  We had an fire drill!

The weather was slightly heavy, and the spray through the weather hatch coated everything with a misting of salt water.

The Captain came out of his cabin on a run.  His heel hit the really shiny beautiful vinyl deck and he slid unimpeded right though the hatch, and caught himself bent over the lifeline on the weather deck.

Then the damage control party ran into the hatch and pulled out the fire hose.   Unfortunately, the valves were so slick they couldn't turn them.

As soon as the Captain righted himself, he stormed into the radio shack and loudly ordered me to never touch anything in that passageway again.

I guess I was never really regular Navy material.  the passageway was a testament to beauty though, for a few days.

Oh, there was only one radioman to our ship..... Me.  And at that time Radiomen were a critical rate, not enough to go around.  So a ship couldn't go to sea without one.  He could restrict me to the ship, but I was on it anyway so that wasn't a big deal.  

He couldn't put me into the brig because his ship couldn't go to sea then.  I had a good, albeit, short Navy experience.  I have a good conduct medal too!

Best laugh I’ve had in a while. Especially appreciated today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i just open and ,  then once back in vehicle   got some hand wash in there. and rub hands steering wheel and shifter.  

i did not know anyone since this pandemic started who got sick and my wife asked me did i know  a dude named herman my age . sure nuff

he was in my class  diagnosed as covid  , but who knows ,   i called his sister and she said he was about to leave hospital   and was doing fine 

then day before  he went downhill  and died .  but hell he could have been bit by a dog and cause of death would be covid .    my kidney   doctor

is a well smart doctor and last i was in to see him , he said half of it was bullshit .  surprised me he said it 

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, Eric said:

Fallacy is that materials and tactics which may work on bacteria will also work on virus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Fallacy is that materials and tactics which may work on bacteria will also work on virus. 

Many kitchen/household disinfectants are anti-bacterial agents sold as preventatives are not effective for a virus.  I understand the most effective for virus is 60% Alcohol.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

Many kitchen/household disinfectants are anti-bacterial agents sold as preventatives are not effective for a virus.  I understand the most effective for virus is 60% Alcohol.

Fire is very effective. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Fire is very effective. 

I told my daughters that if they wanted to kill virus on masks all they had to do was to iron them.  People here are saying to replace them after a while because they might be "contaminated".  This is so much BS!

• Thanks 1