I No Longer Fit Under Sinks

Eric

• Administrators

I just had to change a garbage disposal. This sort of thing used to be a breeze for me, but it is one more thing that growing older has taken a dump on. It’s not so much A matter of size, as it is stiffness and various aches and pains that now make this sort of job a PITA. If I live to be really old, I am going to be one crotchety son of a bitch. Seriously. 

Anyway, job done. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I just had to change a garbage disposal. This sort of thing used to be a breeze for me, but it is one more thing that growing older has taken a dump on. It’s not so much A matter of size, as it is stiffness and various aches and pains that now make this sort of job a PITA. If I live to be really old, I am going to be one crotchety son of a bitch. Seriously. 

Anyway, job done. 

Yes you will. Ask me how I know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
Just now, Cheygriz said:

My plumber never went out and made his own arrests. So I returned the favor by not fixing pipes.

You should arrest your plumber for all that crack he is smuggling. 

• Haha 4

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Cheygriz said:

My plumber never went out and made his own arrests. So I returned the favor by not fixing pipes.

My father raised us to be self-sufficient. There isn’t a hell of a lot that can break that I haven’t been able to tackle successfully, over the years. I once fixed a severe brake leak on a Chevy Citation with the wrapper from a Nestles Crunch Bar. True story.

We the unknowing, led by the unfeeling

Are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful

We have done so much, for song long, with so little

We are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, theglock said:

Not only have the disposals gotten heavier, the space under the sink smaller, and the fine print impossible to read, but getting up from the floor takes most of the rest of the day!!  hahaha

Yeah, this was a 1-HP disposal and it had some weight to it. It was incredibly awkward trying to hold it in place while I lined It up and tightened the clamp ring, so I used the scissor jack from my car to hold it. Improvise, overcome, adapt.:biggrin: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, Paul53 said:

It seems unfair that as we age we are expected to carry more and more gravity.

Remember Jonathan Winters as Mork’s baby on Mork & Mindy? Their babies aged backwards. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I'm already there. If I drop something, it usually stays where I dropped it. Now get off my lawn.

Years ago - at least ten - a cat strayed onto my farmette and decided to stay. I named him Longhair because... Sometime later he and a neighbor’s unneutered female presented me with kittens... about a week after he was so sick I could catch him for a vet visit.

Recently a young black male discovered my place and the neighbor got two more cats which were neutered when she got them. All hang out here because I’m a soft touch for food. 

And Longhair can play “Get off my lawn” with the youngsters. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Eric said:

If I live to be really old, I am going to be one crotchety son of a bitch. Seriously. 

You're startin to understand me....:greensupergrin:

I just spent 4 hrs scraping calcified crap off the side of my pool gettin ready for new Coping.  I'm not sure my fingers will work to mix a damn Drink they're so damn stiff!!!  Not to even mention my back with all the damn standing, and flat out dehydrated from the 90 friggin degrees!!  I can still get up and down from the floor though.  I rather work in AC nowdays...I sorta feel for ya, but not...I can still change a Garbage disposal.  Actually I'm probably talkin out my butt....:anim_lol::anim_lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I just spent 4 hrs scraping calcified crap off the side of my pool gettin ready for new Coping.  I'm not sure my fingers will work to mix a damn Drink they're so damn stiff!!!  Not to even mention my back with all the damn standing, and flat out dehydrated from the 90 friggin degrees!!  I can still get up and down from the floor though.  I rather work in AC nowdays...I sorta feel for ya, but not...I can still change a Garbage disposal.  Actually I'm probably talkin out my butt....:anim_lol::anim_lol:

In my defense, I did change the disposal and fairly quickly. I’m just bitching about it and I probably will be for another hour or so. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Two words. Power Tools.

My hands can't handle more than a few fasteners. If not for air and battery tools, I wouldn't be able to accomplish much of anything. It's challenging changing the  under the sink filter any more.

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Anyway, job done. 

Have it happen over the span of waking up. It sucks. 

The worst part is not being able to get in the floor and play with my granddaughter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Maser said:

Jeeez Eric!  When I first joined GT either at the end of 2005 or beginning of 2006, I thought you were only a few years older than me.  Didn't know you were a boomer.  :D

I feel like one sometimes. As the song goes though, I am much too young to feel this damned old. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Getting under the sink sucks! Confined space, awkward angle, that tile floor is HARD!

Plumbers make decent coin. I see why.

Yeah and we pay them to show us their ass. Doesn’t seem right. 

• Thanks 1

I am definitely crotchety now and if I have to do plumbing my vocabulary gets larger.  One thing worse than under the sink is often under the dash.  I pretty much just take a seat out if I have to mess around now.

I spend a lot of time trying to keep things off the ground so I don't have to bend over.  I have a collapsible table I used a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Anyway, job done. 

I hated under sinks.  It always seemed that I had to bend over backwards and the edges of the woodwork cut into  my back.  Always working at arms length and every little thing you had to do damn near felt like you were working blind.

Under dash work became much harder much earlier than sink work.  I hurt my back in a Car accident many years ago, and after a few minutes resting on my belly through a car door reminds me of how much my back hurt,

I can commiserate with you about these things, and as you age you get more and more aches and pains that remind you that you are doing what you can pay someone else to do.  

I was driven by guilt to do what wasn't comfortable, until I realized that money solves problems and you don't hurt afterwards.

Good luck with your realization that work is work and fun is fun, and with age they aren't the same thing,

Have more fun instead!