Jump to content

E-6B's Take Off Within Minutes of COVID Announcement


willie-pete
 Share

Recommended Posts

Coincidence ?


I think not.


https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-seeks-dampen-speculation-doomsday-135852335.html

" The Pentagon sought to dampen speculation that the US was sending warning signals to its enemies after ‘doomsday’ planes were dispatched following Donald Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis.

Minutes before the president tweeted that he and First Lady Melania had tested positive, two Boeing E-6B Mercury planes took off from both US coasts.

The planes can be used to send ballistic missile commands and are a key part of the US defence system in the event of a crisis - earning them their ominous nickname. "


E-6B's can launch the Minuteman silos from the air without the ground missile crews. I was at the Alternate Command Post and used to talk to its predecessor , SAC's " Looking Glass " , on every alert.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

My understanding there is always one of these planes in the air 24-7.  Is that accurate?

Not anymore; not since the Cold War cooled off.

 

Looking Glass was on continuous airborne alert for over 29 years.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not coincidence. We have ways of communicating that are clearly understood by our friends and enemies alike. Sadly, because of our media, our own people don't understand a fraction of what we do to stabilize the world.

 

Like with oil spills, they whine and try to attack oil, we would be slaves to some dictator without oil. "Green Energy" means slavery to other nations, most of the rest of the world knows this, they fund the greenies here in the US to try to weaken our nation. Saudi oil money has funded the green movement since the sixties.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Not anymore; not since the Cold War cooled off.

 

Looking Glass was on continuous airborne alert for over 29 years.

Didn't know they weren't still up there all the time. I suspect they've been replaced by another system that does the same thing, though. Some kind of "SpaceGhost Coast-to-Coast" system, I bet. Maybe with Amorossa at the helm...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Didn't know they weren't still up there all the time. I suspect they've been replaced by another system that does the same thing, though. Some kind of "SpaceGhost Coast-to-Coast" system, I bet. Maybe with Amorossa at the helm...

 

There is always one on ground alert , ready to go, 24/7/365.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rellik said:

Methinks I mis-remembered something.  Its been a long time too.  

Also for me.

 

All I remember now is DEFCON's  and *******'s.

 

I have never seen the second phonetic in print so I won't spell it out here, but I ( and the rest of the world ) got  that message on alert one night. That message required us to take the documents out of the safe and INSERT the launch keys and turn to the launch checklist.

:Alex:

 

launchone.PNG.4237fb894f8e6ebbc55e1eb78516fcb7.PNG

 

 

It got resolved in a few minutes, but it was a VERY LONG few minutes.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Didn't know they weren't still up there all the time. I suspect they've been replaced by another system that does the same thing, though. Some kind of "SpaceGhost Coast-to-Coast" system, I bet. Maybe with Amorossa at the helm...

Maybe this:  https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/us-militarys-mystery-space-plane-rockets-back-orbit-70729215

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Presguy said:

A (very quick) Google didn't turn up any open source articles, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet a few VLF messages got fired off to subs too, just for funsies.

Just for training the radiomen; I'm sure.

 

 

:whistling:

 

Our system in Titan II was called the  " Survivable Low Frequency Communications System ( SLFCS ) ". It propagates best in heavy dense medium like salt water, for instance. An atmosphere full of dirt, sand and debris from multiple nuclear explosions also works pretty well to propagate signals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The TACAMO aircraft take off several times a day, everyday, as they move about the country. The E4B aircraft tend to stay at Offutt AFB or in DC, since there are fewer of them and one is dedicated to the SecDef.

The VLF trailing wires usually don't come out except for training, testing, and the operational need. NAS Cutler, Jim Creek, and a few other VLF sites are far more effective in message coverage. The AC trailing wires are too short to cover more than a regional portion of the Atlantic / Pacific and if the reel jams, which they have a tendency to do so, the wires have to be cut and that creates potential problems. When they are over CONUS, the Mercury aircraft transmit an encrypted data stream that is available on UHF. 

YELLOW07 was up over Florida on 02 Oct; FLASH22 [E-4B] was coming out of Wright-Patterson AFB 26 Sept., while IRON55 was headed west from Virginia; and there was one up this afternoon, but I didn't have time to monitor as I was busy doing other things.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2020 at 3:47 PM, willie-pete said:


Minutes before the president tweeted that he and First Lady Melania had tested positive, two Boeing E-6B Mercury planes took off from both US coasts.

The perils of grammar and syntax...

Does the announcement mean “... two... planes took off...” mean “one from each coast” or “two from each coast”?

I have my idea about the meaning but it might be incorrect.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FAIRECONRON-Three [VQ-3] is responsible for the west coast and FAIRECONRON-Four [VQ-4} is responsible for the east coast. FAIRRECONRON-Seven [VQ-7] is responsible for training and work-up quals. 

All the above units are under the command of STRATCOMMWING-One, HQ'ed at Tinker AFB.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Presguy said:

I've done some reading, recreationally and (past) professionally on that system. It's so simple, yet so clever.

In the same vein, I've always been fascinated by how AT&T built up "long lines", and the AUTOVON system. I'd like a flash override button to order pizza every once in a while.

The Primary Alerting System ( PAS ) was used to communicate from Offutt to the rest of the SAC world over dedicated AT&T lines. Most of the time it worked fine but sometimes, not so much.

This is supposed to be the PAS system here in " War Games " at 2:52 min with the message in the clip below, Sometimes Ma Bell got her wires crossed.

One night sitting on alert we  ( the whole 308th SMW ) started hear one side of conversation of a hetero couple over the PAS where the girl ( the side we were hearing ) was trying to convince the boyfriend not to break up with her. We never heard his side, but it was obvious from all the promises she was making that he was having none of it. It stared off simple enough with her promising to make herself look better. As the night progressed, she promised more and more things and finally got to the " steamier " tricks of the trade. Along the way was plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth. None of that worked and she finally moved into the " illegal in 48 states " type of stuff. 

After about 40 minutes, Ma Bell came to her senses and cut the feed. 

It was , in retrospect,  kind of sad.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The above just reminded me of the other Ma Bell " Oh Crap ". This was a lot funnier. Again over the PAS on a weekend day with no maintenance so nothing at all going on; pretty boring.

All of a sudden the PAS comes on line with phone ringing - we never heard phones ringing - so something has gone awry - Ma Bell has crossed some wires somewhere. A couple this time, male and female. A typical new loving couple away from each other for some reason each professing their undying love for each other and what they were going to do to each other when they finally got together again. I am actually surprised the phone lines didn't melt.

They talk for about ten minutes telling each other what they are going to do to the other when they meet, with each one trying to outdo the other. Finally we hear the girl exclaim,

 

" Oh F***, my old man just pulled into the driveway, Bye, Click "

 

:anim_rofl2:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, willie-pete said:

The Primary Alerting System ( PAS ) was used to communicate from Offutt to the rest of the SAC world over dedicated AT&T lines. Most of the time it worked fine but sometimes, not so much.

This is supposed to be the PAS system here in " War Games " at 2:52 min with the message in the clip below, Sometimes Ma Bell got her wires crossed.

One night sitting on alert we  ( the whole 308th SMW ) started hear one side of conversation of a hetero couple over the PAS where the girl ( the side we were hearing ) was trying to convince the boyfriend not to break up with her. We never heard his side, but it was obvious from all the promises she was making that he was having none of it. It stared off simple enough with her promising to make herself look better. As the night progressed, she promised more and more things and finally got to the " steamier " tricks of the trade. Along the way was plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth. None of that worked and she finally moved into the " illegal in 48 states " type of stuff. 

After about 40 minutes, Ma Bell came to her senses and cut the feed. 

It was , in retrospect,  kind of sad.

 

 

 

 

I worked in a refinery in Wa. state where the radios would pick up some gals racy conversations. Was quite interesting at times. Also here in Ak, the phones on the oil platforms actually go over the radio. Anyone with a scanner can listen in. Used to hear stuff you really didn't want to hear.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, blueiron said:

The TACAMO aircraft take off several times a day, everyday, as they move about the country. The E4B aircraft tend to stay at Offutt AFB or in DC, since there are fewer of them and one is dedicated to the SecDef.

The VLF trailing wires usually don't come out except for training, testing, and the operational need. NAS Cutler, Jim Creek, and a few other VLF sites are far more effective in message coverage. The AC trailing wires are too short to cover more than a regional portion of the Atlantic / Pacific and if the reel jams, which they have a tendency to do so, the wires have to be cut and that creates potential problems. When they are over CONUS, the Mercury aircraft transmit an encrypted data stream that is available on UHF. 

YELLOW07 was up over Florida on 02 Oct; FLASH22 [E-4B] was coming out of Wright-Patterson AFB 26 Sept., while IRON55 was headed west from Virginia; and there was one up this afternoon, but I didn't have time to monitor as I was busy doing other things.  

Speaking of UHF, all the sites had UHF radios and hardened antennas ; mainly for talking to chopper pilots coming to the site. We could  of course, get an EAM message of the the UHF from an orbiting Command Post A/C.

 

There was one other method, but it is not active anymore. Emergency Rocket Comm System ( ERCS ) had two Minuteman missiles in Whiteman AFB with no warhead - just a ERCS UHF transmitter.  In an actual shooting war., The crew on those missiles would re-read the EWO message into the tape machine in the ERCS and them launch the two missiles; one flying east and one flying west.

 

The ERCS system would re-transmit the EWO message on UHF frequencies continually as they overflew the US east and west so other crews that might have missed it the first time around could get a clear message and still launch if they needed to.

Payload

ercs1.thumb.jpg.86c3fa0c6f53a8fc01c549d81056715c.jpg

 

Antenna

 

ercsantenna.JPG.56135ae9421780d30f761ce899b58e99.JPG

 

 

 

 

bunnyslippers.jpg.a860a93e775ec02f478b4570b03ef2a7.jpg

 

 

:biggrin:

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Please Donate To TBS

    Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...