New Gun: Ruger American Rimfire Target

Spats McGee

I've always liked .22s, but I sort of rediscovered them a couple of years ago.  Dug out my old 10/22.  Got a couple of .22 pistols.  Bought a Ruger American Rimfire.  Put Nikon scopes on both of the rifles.  Then I went to the range with an old friend, and he had a Ruger American Rimfire, Target model.  Man, oh, man.  I liked it.  I liked it a lot!  I had gun envy.  Almost a month ago, I sold my one and only Glock, which had largely been consigned to the safe, took the money, and went and bought my own RAR-T.  Nikon no longer makes scopes, and I couldn't find one like the ones I put on my other rifles (3-9x40 Prostaff Rimfire BDC 150s).  So I bought an Athlon Neos 3-9x40 Rimfire and stuck in on my RAR-T.  I guess if I don't like the Athlon, I can swap scopes around and put one of the Nikons on it.  In any event, she's almost complete.  Just about the only other thing I might put on her is a bipod.  Here she is:

Ruger American Rimfire

Athlon Neos scope

Dead Air Mask

419813048_RARTfinished.thumb.JPG.5db73ab56bd9d040d4ca951c994770bb.JPG

Edited by Spats McGee
  • Like 1

My husband keeps trying to put a bull barrel on my 10-22.  I keep telling him I want a custom stock with the thumbhole grip I like and a proper cheek rise first.  I'm going to win.  Then I'm going to get the bull barrel... at which point the only original piece left on my 10-22 will be the receiver, lol.  

• Like 1

Yes, that's a bull barrel.  When my buddy and I went to the range a couple of months ago, I shot his RAR-T side-by-side with my standard model.  I certainly like my standard model, but his target model was hands-down more accurate, and we were only shooting at 25 yards.  I know that there are other differences (laminate vs. polymer stock, for example), but I feel pretty certain that the biggest factor was the barrel.

13 hours ago, Historian said:

That is one lovely rifle.  Wow.  Love that stock.  Bull barrel? 

Yeah.   I'm sorta reliving the .22 world as well.  Shot a .22 magnum Henry a few months ago that was just about perfect.

I very nearly bought a Henry .22LR lever gun with the same cash that bought me this rifle.  I'm sure I could have had a ton of fun with it, too.

11 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My husband keeps trying to put a bull barrel on my 10-22.  I keep telling him I want a custom stock with the thumbhole grip I like and a proper cheek rise first.  I'm going to win.  Then I'm going to get the bull barrel... at which point the only original piece left on my 10-22 will be the receiver, lol.  

I have no doubt that you're going to win.  I've never cared for thumbhole stocks, but that's just me.  I changed the barrel out on my 10/22, but just so I could get a threaded barrel.  Other than that and scopes, mine has stayed original. 

Edited by Spats McGee
  • Like 1