Be Careful up there Mr. Longmire!!!

Swampfox762

Heard that on the radio while I was out at my cabin. That is the 3rd one I know of this summer. I kinda doubt it's the 1st in Wrangell St Elias, but whatever the talking heads say.....

BTW, ran into a friend today that had a huge moose rack tied on his vehicle. He 'stole' it from the 3 brown bears that had killed it and were feeding on the carcass. It was on a fly in hunt across the Inlet. Friend didn't manage to get his bull, so went back where the brownies had killed the old bull in a river bed, and ran them off long enough to salvage the head. Sorry I didn't have my camera with me to get pics. No smart phone yet for this old dude.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Heard that on the radio while I was out at my cabin. That is the 3rd one I know of this summer. I kinda doubt it's the 1st in Wrangell St Elias, but whatever the talking heads say.....

BTW, ran into a friend today that had a huge moose rack tied on his vehicle. He 'stole' it from the 3 brown bears that had killed it and were feeding on the carcass. It was on a fly in hunt across the Inlet. Friend didn't manage to get his bull, so went back where the brownies had killed the old bull in a river bed, and ran them off long enough to salvage the head. Sorry I didn't have my camera with me to get pics. No smart phone yet for this old dude.

"Old dude"...I saw your picture.  What? 55-6... Get a smart phone.  You got cool stuff we'd love to see man.:biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tadbart said:

Bear- "alpacas are yum."

AKZoo- "do not F with our woolbearing creatures. here. chew on this!"

Something about this story doesn't add up. hunting in an National Park? What happened to "don't even stack rocks for cairns."?

We make our own rules up here and tell the Feds to stick it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

kick on over to SD Custer has both Trophy and Non-Trophy Bison hunts.

Wow. And I thought splitting a side of beef with a couple friends was fancy. The idea of hunting (already have a .45/70), dressing, processing, preserving, and storing a whole bison... Insane! Not ruling it out, because MAJOR cool and food factors. Just a lot to imagine.

Y'all gotta remember, I'm used to these Florida deer. They're like shooting a German Shepherd. Great Dane, if you're lucky. I'd cut one in half with the buffalo gun.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tadbart said:

This makes me want to arrange a bison hunt in Yellowstone.

But seriously, herd management in a park the size of WSENP is important.

Think wolves were reintroduced in Yellowstone to help manage the Elk. Wolves figured out lone moose are easier prey than elk from a herd. Thus moose in the park are now endangered. 

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Think wolves were reintroduced in Yellowstone to help manage the Elk. Wolves figured out lone moose are easier prey than elk from a herd. Thus moose in the park are now endangered. 

While out snow machine riding, I have come across sites where a pack of wolves take down an adult moose. It usually doesn't take long to have the moose down and dying. They don't go far from where the attack starts.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

While out snow machine riding, I have come across sites where a pack of wolves take down an adult moose. It usually doesn't take long to have the moose down and dying. They don't go far from where the attack starts.

What Pistol do you carry when you're out on your machine like that?   The "Alaskan 454"?   Ya carry a Rifle too?

Ruger® Super Redhawk Alaskan® Double-Action Revolver Models

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

What Pistol do you carry when you're out on your machine like that?   The "Alaskan 454"?   Ya carry a Rifle too?

Ruger® Super Redhawk Alaskan® Double-Action Revolver Models

I have a Ruger Security Six in a holster on the handle bars. Loaded with some hot .357 ammo. It has came in handy a few times. It's mostly there in case I find someone squatting at my cabin when I show up, but it has taken some critters too. Mostly coyotes. I did get a large male wolf years ago, but didn't have the .357 that time. I was packing a Mountain Eagle .22 for birds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

We always gotta mess with stuff. You should see all the fencing to keep the elk out of the willows in Rocky Mountain National Park. Just in my lifetime, there's been a moose population surge there.

• Haha 1