Any of ya'll got a good Slingshot?

Swampfox762

1 minute ago, Rellik said:

They look like flat bands popular in Europe.  Academy and Walmart usually have tube bands more popular over here.  Easier to get more powerful tube bands over here.  

By lookin at it, I'd think the clamp mechanism would also work with the Tube Bands.  My plan was to get a couple at Academy and compare the two.  Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

I am yet to find a good one.  They are often used by people like me to get wire antennas in the air for ham radio.

What do you have to launch?  What are you trying to do.

A former JAG officer ham buddy has a shoulder launched line thrower that looks like Tonka made a bazooka but by God it gets 1 ounce of lead over 200 ft.

We all had a laugh when he pulled that sucker out.

Edited by Historian
  • Haha 2

I bought this one on a whim and it is well made, haven't figured out the sights yet but it is quite sturdy.  Also bought a box of those clay pellets since their biodegradable.  The evidence disappears once it gets wet or is out it the elements a while.  

https://www.amazon.com/Slingshot-Professional-Launching-Velocity-Catapult/dp/B07WZT2MT5/ref=rtpb_3/135-1259379-5723541?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07WZT2MT5&pd_rd_r=48736648-7bc1-4993-97b9-1c041d24a98d&pd_rd_w=hs2mj&pd_rd_wg=r6e1E&pf_rd_p=8e29e6d3-1af9-49e1-9000-62311a8a6943&pf_rd_r=REKRMK2ZJMH4GEXPMXK8&psc=1&refRID=REKRMK2ZJMH4GEXPMXK8

• Like 1

I've got a Barnett Cobra.  I don't know much about slingshots, but this is the best one I've ever tried.  Every time the local crows try to take up residence in my ash tree, I'll pop the tree canopy with three popcorn kernels at a time.  The crows figure out pretty quick that they need to move on. 

https://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Crossbows-16043-Cobra-Slingshot/dp/B00DW23IHK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=4SMCTCRRKYGB&dchild=1&keywords=barnett+cobra+slingshot&qid=1600897362&sprefix=barnett+cobra%2Cgarden%2C225&sr=8-1

180009_ts.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is very much like the one we used to put a ham radio antenna up behind our emergency operations center.

K4ICY's Homebrew Pneumatic Antenna Launcher

The Sheriff's Office Col. and i agreed...that if we didn't know what we were about to do...we would have accused to owner of having a massive bong!

The one we had did not fire tennis balls but a 1 ounce lead fishing weight.  And when i say launch...ain't no body want to get hit by that weight.  It went well over 200 Ft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

I bought this one on a whim and it is well made, haven't figured out the sights yet but it is quite sturdy.  Also bought a box of those clay pellets since their biodegradable.  The evidence disappears once it gets wet or is out it the elements a while.  

https://www.amazon.com/Slingshot-Professional-Launching-Velocity-Catapult/dp/B07WZT2MT5/ref=rtpb_3/135-1259379-5723541?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07WZT2MT5&pd_rd_r=48736648-7bc1-4993-97b9-1c041d24a98d&pd_rd_w=hs2mj&pd_rd_wg=r6e1E&pf_rd_p=8e29e6d3-1af9-49e1-9000-62311a8a6943&pf_rd_r=REKRMK2ZJMH4GEXPMXK8&psc=1&refRID=REKRMK2ZJMH4GEXPMXK8

Pretty much looks similar.  I like the idea of the biodegradable shot.  I'll sure look into those. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

I've got a Barnett Cobra.  I don't know much about slingshots, but this is the best one I've ever tried.  Every time the local crows try to take up residence in my ash tree, I'll pop the tree canopy with three popcorn kernels at a time.  The crows figure out pretty quick that they need to move on. 

https://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Crossbows-16043-Cobra-Slingshot/dp/B00DW23IHK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=4SMCTCRRKYGB&dchild=1&keywords=barnett+cobra+slingshot&qid=1600897362&sprefix=barnett+cobra%2Cgarden%2C225&sr=8-1

180009_ts.jpg

THAT looks like a real Shooter!!!

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

THAT looks like a real Shooter!!!

The wrist brace really helps.  You sort of need it because the 'surgical tubing' can generate a lot of force.  It's similar to the one that my dad had, but his had no wrist brace and that limited how much you could draw back because you would pretty much started to pull the slingshot out of your hand.  btw, the only reason my dad had a 'wrist rocket' was because he was a school Principal and he took it away from some kid. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

I'm thinkin bout buyin this one just for some plinkin fun round the house.  Any of you out there have any suggestions for a GOOD Slingshot?  This one is about the size I'm lookin for but I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNP1XDY?tag=saout121-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1#customerReviews

that looks like a nice one.

i like the Flat band style and the solid design, and it has sights.

i have the Age old Wrist Rocket that i have had for a million years and has served me well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Nice. 

I have a traditional Wrist Rocket type. We had a bad problem with a drug dealer a couple years ago. I loved screwing with their customers. 

Somewhere I still have my wristrocket from the mid-70's.  Now they're all fold ups.  

Question:  steel or marbles on the dopers?  ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

That's pretty.  And only $20!

As a kid we shot kids modle clay balls that would stick to the sides of buildings, then we peel it right off.  

I've got some "plain" wire ones,  and got some long heavy-duty rubber bands from U-line.

I don't need to hunt rabbits or knock down 'yotes,  just shoot cans and stuff.  I'm pretty good with it.  I just use pebbles.  It's fun for camping.

(I still have my folding wrist-rocket from, like, 40 years ago.  You can buy the surgical tubing everywhere.  It's fun to obliterate a bottle now and then,  but the plain slingshot is 50x more fun to play with.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Historian said:

I am yet to find a good one.  They are often used by people like me to get wire antennas in the air for ham radio.

What do you have to launch?  What are you trying to do.

That damn thing ain't no slingshot...that's a friggin Bazooka!!!:biggrin:. I'm just wanting to screw around.  Shoot a coon in the ass, when my light and camera come on, and he's wanting on my roof.  That's why I like the sound of those biodegradable shots Dreams was talking bout.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

That damn thing ain't no slingshot...that's a friggin Bazooka!!!:biggrin:. I'm just wanting to screw around.  Shoot a coon in the ass, when my light and camera come on, and he's wanting on my roof.  That's why I like the sound of those biodegradable shots Dreams was talking bout.

My only concern about the biodegradable shots is keeping them out of humidly so they don't soften.  Maybe that isn't a problem but I keep them inside.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

My only concern about the biodegradable shots is keeping them out of humidly so they don't soften.  Maybe that isn't a problem but I keep them inside.

Absolutely.  I looked at this "new age" slingshot...but, naw.  Not for me.  Cool though. https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Shot-PS1-The/dp/B00PKMI7OY

https://www.amazon.com/Backpackeers-Heavy-Pocket-Wrapped-Handle/dp/B00UN8JVMM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=SE+5"+Backpackeers+Dual+Band+Heavy+Duty+Steel+Pocket+Sling+Shot%2C10+Steel+Balls%2C+Rope+Wrapped+Handle&qid=1600915725&sr=8-1

These.  With, like, 10" rubber bands.

Shoot from the hip.  Never really "sight" it.  You just get a feel for it. 

Shoot your buddy's beer can off the table,  right as he's going to pick it up.  Pow!

Then you got a cranky old man guffin' at you all night.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

No kidding!   I think you could hunt with that thing!

• Like 1

Just got the new Slingshot today.  Pretty Cool!  I like it!!  The "Pocket" could be a little Bigger, It's a bit hard to keep the steel ball in, but that can be corrected with just getting a new Elastic with a bigger pocket.  The Wood is really nice.  Haven't quite figured out the Scope yet though.  As you can see...I DO like Wood with my Steel.:D

Trio.jpg

• Like 1