Shingles

Zonny

16 minutes ago, Vegas Eggus said:

Had you taken the new shot?  Asking because I'm seriously considering it.  

Had a bout that was diagnosed as shingles but it was really mild and I question that diagnosis.

I had the old 1 only shot; not the newer 2 in the series one. I'm hoping for a milder case and shortened duration because I had it. I read that it's only good for 51%. 

Started Monday with a numb feeling on my right side. Thought maybe I had a bite. I was wrong :(

Edited by Zonny
  • Sad 4

41 minutes ago, Rellik said:

On the tongue, or on the skin?  Asking because I'm in that target age.  

Honey, the better sugar

by Bob Livingston

Sugar used to be available to our ancestors only as fruit or honey — and then only for a few months of the year. Today, processed sugars are available in thousands of foods, many of which you would not normally think of as sugary.

Sugar is an addictive substance that wreaks havoc on your health. But honey is also a sugar. So is honey really that much better for you?

Yes. A thousand times, yes. Honey is the original sugar and the original healer. It’s been used by the oldest system of medicine on earth, Ayurveda from India, for more than 5,000 years.

One of the reasons honey is so much better to ingest is because it’s a more complex sugar. This means for your body to break it down, it will have to expend much more energy and your body is left to deal with far fewer calories.

Honey also contains trace elements — mineral and vitamins — gathered by bees when traveling from plant to plant. Because honey is not processed, these nutrients can actually benefit you nutritionally.

And the clinical benefits of honey are mounting.

Raw honey applied topically to the skin causes healing and is now accepted as a standard of care as a topical antibacterial agent for treating wounds, burns and skin ulcers in many hospitals.

The sticky, sweet stuff has been observed to reduce inflammation, swelling and pain; act as an effective debridement; allow bandages to be removed painlessly and safely, which is beneficial to re-growing tissue; and produce rapid healing with minimal scarring.

In many cases, honey has been shown to be superior to antibiotics and antiseptic therapy by working on infected lesions that were not responding to standard antibiotic and antiseptic treatment. A study published in the Cochrane Library in 2012 showed that honey may promote faster healing of mild or moderate burns than regular dressings. It seems that honey helps to increase the rate of both new tissue growth and the removal of dead tissue around the wound.

This shouldn’t be surprising as honey’s anti-microbial properties have been documented in the world’s oldest medical literature, and is now being recognized in modern medical journals.

Consider Tualang honey, named for the trees where the bees make their nests. In Malaysia, where the harvesters risk their lives getting the honey from nests because the trees grow as high as 300 feet, Tualang is considered a healing tonic.

Researchers at the School of Medical Sciences at the Universiti Sains in Malaysia designed a study to look at the heart-protective effects of Malaysian Tualang honey against heart attacks in animals.

In all the animals they pre-treated with Tualang honey, it had “significant protective effects on all of the investigated biochemical parameters.” That’s a scientific way of saying that not only did no animal die of a heart attack but when they tried to induce heart attacks in the animals, the honey protected them.

Even better, if your doctor is constantly hounding you about cholesterol, just eat Tualang honey. In the study I just mentioned, honey restored all the animals’ cholesterol to normal.

Honey appears to increase bile cholesterol excretion and lowers plasma cholesterol levels.

In another study done outside the U.S. realm of cholesterol orthodoxy, where only drugs are used to cut off cholesterol instead of keeping it healthy and normal, researchers added honey to the diets of 70 people at the Army Medical College in Rawalpindi, Pakistan.

Natural honey consumption not only blocked a rise in blood sugar (great for diabetics) but “significantly” decreased LDL and triglycerides and increased HDL in young healthy adults.

That makes honey more than just a cure for a sweet tooth.

I happen to keep a jar of raw, organic Manuka honey in my pantry because it has high levels of methylglyoxal, the antimicrobial that protects against infections and colds. But really, any of the darker honey is good. The Journal of Apicultural Research found that darker honey has less water and more antioxidants than light-colored honey.

It’s also a good idea to buy locally produced honey. It will contain pollen spores picked up by the bees from local plants. According to the journal International Archives of Allergy & Immunology, this can increase your immunity to locally induced allergies by building up your natural immunity against them.

One tip for buying pure, unadulterated honey that you will not learn at any grocery store is to look at HMF (Hydroxymethylfurfural) level. Honey with too much HMF can mean it is adulterated with inverted sugars — i.e., white sugar or fructose.

These processed sugars are heated with acid, and industry then calls them “inverted sugars.” The heating creates HMF. Foods with added sugar or high fructose corn syrups can have levels of HMF up to 1,000 mg/kg. Look for dark honey with less than 100 mg/kg of HMF.

• Like 2

Z,

Sorry to hear this.

Our son got the dam Shingles when he was about 30 year old and it was not good.  

ms gamboolgal and I got the Shingrix Series of 2 shots last year.  I think it may be necessary to get the shots again in about 5 years?  But not sure of that?  If so, we will get them.

I'll do anything to avoid them as Shingles are the devil

All the best and hope you have a light bout with the dam things.

• Thanks 2

Took me almost a year to get the second series of shots. Got put on multiple waiting lists  Finally was in a drug store one Sunday morning and no one was at the pharmacy so I asked.  They just got a few doses in.  That was shot #1.  Later could not find the second shot, got a letter from the manufacturer that I was past due.  Called the drug store and yep they just got some in but I had to go get it now as they would not hold a shot for me.  Put dinner on hold and got.  Glad that is done..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Zonny said:

I heard the second of that series can be a little rough. Anyone have issues? 

Oh yes....  The first shot was just very sore and just felt a little off.  No big deal.   The second one hit me like a brick a few hours later.  Much worse than a tetanus shot and those bother me.  My arm felt like Mike Tyson hit me for a couple of days.   It also felt like I was kicked in the head by an angry mule for a day or so, punch drunk so to speak.   I've been through worse so I can't complain much.  Was it worth it, yes... shingles is not an option I want.  Some folks does not bother them at all though..  Good luck Dave..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zonny said:

I had the old 1 only shot; not the newer 2 in the series one. I'm hoping for a milder case and shortened duration because I had it. I read that it's only good for 51%. 

Started Monday with a numb feeling on my right side. Thought maybe I had a bite. I was wrong :(

Are you on an antiviral like acyclovir?

• Like 1

Wife and I got the Shrinrex duo very early this year, BC. Both shots for both of us were fine for about 12 hours,

then felt like royal (kill me) crap for 24 hours or so, then fine.  Glad to have it, and to have it done.

PS, we both had the single dose 6 years or so ago.

Edited by xromad
update
  • Like 2