Archery for moose started today

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Went out this morning. Saw a dozen moose. 5 bulls, one of them legal, but he bolted before I could arrow him. Was close too. Shot 5 spruce grouse with the old Remington Nylon 66. Going out again this evening. 

My brother found this in a pawn shop in Dallas last week:

BD5002BC-7B6F-41E1-BC61-943AB0E96AFF.thumb.jpeg.b59c72414599af5318bb7cf14239b8ca.jpeg

I’ve got an Apache Black Nylon 66. I wouldn’t mind getting that Black Diamond in the middle of that rack though. They are hard to come by. The guy that brought those into the pawn brought several more that have already sold, including bolt-actions and the very rare lever-action Nylon 66s. Those things get pricey. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Eric said:

My brother found this in a pawn shop in Dallas last week:

BD5002BC-7B6F-41E1-BC61-943AB0E96AFF.thumb.jpeg.b59c72414599af5318bb7cf14239b8ca.jpeg

I’ve got an Apache Black Nylon 66. I wouldn’t mind getting that Black Diamond in the middle of that rack though. They are hard to come by. The guy that brought those into the pawn brought several more that have already sold, including bolt-actions and the very rare lever-action Nylon 66s. Those things get pricey. 

Nice. I had a tube-fed bolt action Nylon 12 growing up. Thing would digest anything and was very accurate. Loaned it to a friend...

• Like 3

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I own a Black Diamond and 2 Mohawk brown 66's. I was using the BD last year for grouse, but this year I am hauling around a Mohawk that belongs to a friend. It isn't as nice as mine so doesn't matter if it gets more wear.

Another Apache Black Nylon 66 was my first .22, when I was twelve or thirteen. I took it apart one day and had a hell of a time getting the trigger group reinstalled. The next time we went shooting, I loaded it up, aimed and pulled the trigger. I thought that it kicked more than usual and when I pulled the trigger again, it dry-fired. It was empty. Seems I damaged the sear.

That thing fired those 14 rounds so fast, I thought it was a single shot that kicked more than usual. When I fired it subsequent times, it was obviously firing full auto, but the cyclic rate was as fast as a speed-dating bunny. My dad thought a full-auto .22 was a lot of fun then, but he must have reconsidered later, because that rifle got disappeared one day, not long after.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Nice. I had a tube-fed bolt action Nylon 12 growing up. Thing would digest anything and was very accurate. Loaned it to a friend...

The lever-action Nylon 66s are worth some stupid money today, considering what they cost new. Given time, I think all the Nylon 66s will appreciate in value a lot more. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eric said:

The lever-action Nylon 66s are worth some stupid money today, considering what they cost new. Given time, I think all the Nylon 66s will appreciate in value a lot more. 

I never saw a lever-action, but it's a great concept. The whole nylon family was great and it's a shame they stopped making them.

32 minutes ago, Eric said:

I have a couple that are not serialized. Made before the 68 GCA and were sold below the threshold where they needed numbers. They're worth several hundred each today.

• Like 1

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Nylon 10 single shot. Mohwak 10-C. Nylon 11. Nylon 12. Nylon 66 in several colors. Nylon 76. Nylon 77. And Nylon 77 Apache. Plus let's not forget the XP 100 single shot bolt action pistol with the same stock material. Could be had in .223 like mine or 221 Fireball.

I forgot about the pistol. I had a friend whose dad had one, when I was a kid.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, tadbart said:

1. @Eric how exactly was the sear damaged...? Exactly.  :biggrin:

2. A knife on a stick against a thousand-pound ungulate on stilts with a massive rack. Y'all have fun. Florida deer, that's one thing. Moose, that's on a whole nother level.

I don’t have a clue. The parts would cooperate so I persuaded them. I’ve gotten a lot better with my persuasion techniques since then. Much less breakage. Mostly. 

5 hours ago, Eric said:

I don’t have a clue. The parts would cooperate so I persuaded them. I’ve gotten a lot better with my persuasion techniques since then. Much less breakage. Mostly. 

Sounds more like fixage, than breakage.

Or, a happy accident.

21 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Saw several big bulls this morning. One was way legal, but too far away and making tracks. We'll be back in the same area tonight. Gun season starts on the 1st. If we were gun hunting, we'd be tagged out already. Having fun though. Blasted a few more Spruce Grouse with the Nylon.

Cool.  Really lookin forward to pictures of the Moose when ya get one!!!

• Like 1