Question For The Navy Folks

DrB

37 minutes ago, 26isbest said:

I was not a Blackshoe but that appears to be a Machinists Mate rating badge. Your dad was an MM2 or E5 Machinists Mate.

Yep. Not sure about ‘Motor Machinest Mate’ aomagrat referred to. Maybe a rating back during WWII that was done away with. My rating (Radioman) is no more.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Extra respect is due to anyone who served aboard a submarine in WW2. In my understanding everything aboard smelled and tasted like diesel fuel along wityh never knowing if you will ever see the sun (they surfaced at night to recharge if they could) again is more then most men could handle.. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Yep. Not sure about ‘Motor Machinest Mate’ aomagrat referred time. Maybe a rating back during WWII that was done away with. My rating (Radioman) is no more.

Yeah that's interesting. One of my CCs was a DP1 and I am pretty sure that was consolidated into a newer rating from talking to a Chief at Fleet Week a few years ago. My squadron was around a long time but decommissioned in 2012. That was an unpleasant discovery, but where there were only two VQ squadrons when I was in, now there are four or five I think. I like knowing that  there are still VQ squadrons. 

• Like 1

Just now, GT4494 said:

Extra respect is due to anyone who served aboard a submarine in WW2. In my understanding everything aboard smelled and tasted like diesel fuel along wityh never knowing if you will ever see the sun (they surfaced at night to recharge if they could) again is more then most men could handle.. 

Yeah Bubbleheads had it much worse back then. A nephew of mine is a Bubblehead assigned to a Boomer  up in Washington state.  My sister is quite proud of him. I gave him an Emerson CQC7 when he completed his training. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Yep. Not sure about ‘Motor Machinest Mate’ aomagrat referred to. Maybe a rating back during WWII that was done away with. My rating (Radioman) is no more.

The Motor Machinist Mate rating worked on internal combustion engines.   In 1948 the rating was changed  to Engineman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

The Motor Machinist Mate rating worked on internal combustion engines.   In 1948 the rating was changed  to Engineman.

Dad worked on the Diesels. He did say if I remember correct that during battle stations he was on deck crewing an AA gun.  He brought back some 30mm (empty) brass.   Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have my Dad's blue jumper as well. He was an aviation torpedoman 2nd class assigned to the U.S.S. Enterprise CV-6. His last battle on her was Okinawa, where they were hit by a kamikaze. Dad never talked much about the war, but he took enormous pride  in having served on the Enterprise, and attended the commissioning of the nuclear powered Enterprise CVAN-65. He chose to have his ashes interred in Arlington National Cemetery, where many of his generation and other generations rest, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DrB said:

Thank you very much folks.  That makes sense from what he said and the little he talked about the war.  Here is a note I found with it in case you may be interested.

Dad.jpg

I remember Dad telling me the British were absolute pigs with the lend lease ships (that is the most kind word he said that won't get me banned).  Dad never swore but that time he sure did..  He said the ship was full of bed bugs that you could not get away from among other things.  One of the few times I asked him something and he replied with more than a yes or no.  He hated bringing that lend lease ship back and got livid when he related that story...  Dave..

• Thanks 1

My Mine Sweep  Squadron did combined maneuvers with various nations Mine Sweepers in the Mediterranean in the 50's.

My captain gave the bridge orders to, never, NEVER, get down wind from the Greek Minesweepers.  The stench would carry for a long distance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My Mine Sweep  Squadron did combined maneuvers with various nations Mine Sweepers in the Mediterranean in the 50's.

My captain gave the bridge orders to, never, NEVER, get down wind from the Greek Minesweepers.  The stench would carry for a long distance. 

What years were you active duty janice?

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 5:19 PM, Wyzz Kydd said:

Two of my four rates have been phased out.  I was a MMFN, GMT3, WT2 & AO1.  GMT & WT have been phased out, both while I was in them.  That's  why I had so many rates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aomagrat said:

Two of my four rates have been phased out.  I was a MMFN, GMT3, WT2 & AO1.  GMT & WT have been phased out, both while I was in them.  That's  why I had so many rates.

I just had to look up WT. That didn't even exist until 5 years after my EAOS. It wasn't around very long.

• Like 1