New horse in the stable

Stihl 066 Red Light. Has the full wrap handle, West Coast clutch cover and falling dogs. Air filter mod. No compression release. Clear fuel tank. 36" bar and chain. A working man's saw with low time. Original owner got hurt shortly after he acquired it, and retired early

DSCN4032.JPG

DSCN4034.JPG

DSCN4035.JPG

Edited by Walt Longmire
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Will Beararms said:

I grew up in a Sawmill town. Back in the days is of the Saw Hand before Timber Harvesting Machines, Stihl was it. 

We owned a 3 generation logging business on the West Coast. It was McCullochs all the way. We even had 2 McCulloch Karts. One with 2 engines.

• Like 2

Our little town had two hardwood mills and two pine mills. The only game in town was a Stihl dealer. He made and makes a fortune. Dad was a degreed Forester and worked for Potlatch, an Independent and IP and then went on his own. He was old school. He did it all from cruising the timber to buying it to selling it to the mill to logging it to fixing roads and fences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Dang. I use a Husky 455 with a 20" bar, and can't begin to do it justice.

Walt, you're a lumberjack! And you're OK!

I have a fairly large collection of chainsaws. A few oldies. Some very large saws. I still have a couple of the McCullochs we were using when Mt St Helens blew. At one time I had over 30 saws but have scaled that number down to probably 15 now.

• Like 1

only 3/4 wrap, not full, but very few people really need the bottom wrap anyway.

My dad had a Stihl 096 when I was growing up.  Got stolen with a 3' bar on it when he was slabbing cedar buttresses.  The 5' bar for it is still hanging up in the shop.

He replaced it with an 044.  30 years old and still going strong.

17 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

only 3/4 wrap, not full, but very few people really need the bottom wrap anyway.

My dad had a Stihl 096 when I was growing up.  Got stolen with a 3' bar on it when he was slabbing cedar buttresses.  The 5' bar for it is still hanging up in the shop.

He replaced it with an 044.  30 years old and still going strong.

Send me that 5 footer. I'll mount it on a saw.