A Rifle Comes Home To Rest

DrB

My Dad passed a few years ago.  He had a farm utility rifle, just a plain Savage 24.  I grew up with that rifle from a boy.  It was the first gun I hunted with.  Took care of it as I grew up. When I grew up and moved dad never took care of it as to him it was just a tool and lived in the barn.  Before he passed he told me I would probably be ashamed of it now as he knew I how took care of my guns and he did not. 

Before he passed he told me to just be the better man.. I was his only son. I had to bite my tongue as the executor of the estate a few times but I did. 

I did find my grandfathers and great grandfathers crackshots but not the 24 .  I looked all over for it, thought it was long gone.  The other day the woman who cleans my house left me a message that a man brought a rifle by for me and it was in the sun room.  I about fell over dead when I saw, it was the Savage 24.  Much worse for wear but it came home.  That simple little beat up old rifle brought tears to my eyes when I saw it.  Never thought I would see it again.

There are a few good folks out there yet that still  do the right thing.

Dave.

Edited by DrB
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrB said:

My Dad passed a few years ago.  He had a farm utility rifle, just a plain Savage 24.  I grew up with that rifle from a boy.  It was the first gun I hunted with.  Took care of it as I grew up. When I grew up and moved dad never took care of it as to him it was just a tool and lived in the barn.  Before he passed he told me I would probably be ashamed of it now as he knew I how took care of my guns and he did not. 

Before he passed he told me to just be the better man.. I was his only son. I had to bite my tongue as the executor of the estate a few times but I did. 

I did find my grandfathers and great grandfathers crackshots but not the 24 .  I looked all over for it, thought it was long gone.  The other day the woman who cleans my house left me a message that a man brought a rifle by for me and it was in the sun room.  I about fell over dead when I saw, it was the Savage 24.  Much worse for wear but it came home.  That simple little beat up old rifle brought tears to my eyes when I saw it.  Never thought I would see it again.

There are a few good folks out there yet that still  do the right thing.

Dave.

I'm happy for you that you got that treasure.

Mine went to my son and now my grand daughter has it.

• Like 1