Youtube Gun Videos - Paul Harrell

SC Tiger

Anyone here a fan of Paul Harrell's videos on Youtube.  I've watched a few.  He seems to have kind of a down-to-earth, calm demeanor but from what I understand he has the qualifications to back up his words.  2 shootings as a civilian (I think) and retired military.  Kind of the unassuming badass you do not mess with.

He's like the opposite of Brandon Herrera or Demolition Ranch as far as demeanor (I'm not saying those guys don't know what they are talking about though)

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Anyone here a fan of Paul Harrell's videos on Youtube.  I've watched a few.  He seems to have kind of a down-to-earth, calm demeanor but from what I understand he has the qualifications to back up his words.  2 shootings as a civilian (I think) and retired military.  Kind of the unassuming badass you do not mess with.

He's like the opposite of Brandon Herrera or Demolition Ranch as far as demeanor (I'm not saying those guys don't know what they are talking about though)

I follow all three of those mentioned. tom.

Just now, deputy tom said:

I follow all three of those mentioned. tom.

Did you see the video "Rebuttal"?

I didn't link it because it seems Harrell isn't proud of making it - or having to make it.  But someone accurately called it the "longest most monotone ass kicking ever given."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SC Tiger said:

Did you see the video "Rebuttal"?

I didn't link it because it seems Harrell isn't proud of making it - or having to make it.  But someone accurately called it the "longest most monotone ass kicking ever given."

Yes I did and it was great. tom.

I like his videos, but they can be very long.  To save time, I skip over his explanation of his presentation style or the "yeahbut" speech, the shooting of two liter bottles, the calling out of every single velocity number (he usually summarizes the numbers at the end of the string), and some other portions.

I don't have time for long videos like that. Not if I'm going to keep up with my posting of inane quips on gun forums.

I watch Paul Harrell's videos.  I think they are among the best on the Internet.  I think the video he did about the Miami shootout was exceptional.  Doing the video strayed from his usual routine and showed the ability to think outside the box, which he has done with numerous other videos. 

He has the credentials to brag about his bona fides, but instead, he provides a solid down to earth perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul Harrell is IMHO the better of the YT Firearms People.

he does everything within reason to give fair comparisons in everything he does.

the ,40 S/W vs. .45 ACP Carry Vid is about as scientific as he can get and i have been a fan of his for many years.

its exactly what it says Real Firearms Info for Citizens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

I enjoy watching Paul Harrell for his dry humor. 

I think it's underrated but he does have that.  He has quirks too - like when he looks sharply to the left when they cut in another video.  He did this several times on the Miami shootout video.

16 hours ago, minervadoe said:

I watch Paul Harrell's videos.  I think they are among the best on the Internet.  I think the video he did about the Miami shootout was exceptional.  Doing the video strayed from his usual routine and showed the ability to think outside the box, which he has done with numerous other videos. 

He has the credentials to brag about his bona fides, but instead, he provides a solid down to earth perspective. 

"Failed to invest in a $.50 nerd strap" about got me.  That was a really good video and he put a lot of thought into it.  

"I'm of the opinion that the .357 Magnum is a very poor performer if you don't hit your target" slayed me.

Several other Gun YT channels have come to Harrell's defense on the whole thing with that other guy.  I don't get into that stuff but it tells you what you need to know about how much Harrell is respected.

17 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Paul is about the only one of these kinds of videos I have any interest in. Even at that, it isn't a "Following".

It seems the only thing most of the others are expert in, is convincing you they are experts.

YMMV

Some know stuff.  Herrera knows AK47s well.  Vickers somehow gets access to firearms and training that most of us can't.  Military Arms Channel seems to know their stuff.  And there's always Hickock45.

One thing I look for is if they will at least acknowledge that they have a sample of one piece, and if they will tell you about the flaws in a gun if they are present.  GT, Hickock and MAC will do that.  

Edited by SC Tiger

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Some know stuff.  Herrera knows AK47s well.  Vickers somehow gets access to firearms and training that most of us can't.  Military Arms Channel seems to know their stuff.  And there's always Hickock45.

One thing I look for is if they will at least acknowledge that they have a sample of one piece, and if they will tell you about the flaws in a gun if they are present.  GT, Hickock and MAC will do that.  

Maybe true. Never watched MAC. Never got past a few minutes The two I tried, they were trolling pretty hard. Is that out of character for them? They just seemed to be parroting the popular for the day opinions, not presenting anything of character.

Hickock? I can't hang for over a minute with him. Just not my kind of presenter. From reviews, and I take those with a whole salt shaker most of the time, he does a lot of the same as above. 

Never heard of Herrera.

Edited by LostinTexas

20 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Maybe true. Never watched MAC. Never got past a few minutes The two I tried, they were trolling pretty hard. Is that out of character for them? They just seemed to be parroting the popular for the day opinions, not presenting anything of character.

Hickock? I can't hang for over a minute with him. Just not my kind of presenter. From reviews, and I take those with a whole salt shaker most of the time, he does a lot of the same as above. 

Never heard of Herrera.

Herrera owns TheAKGuy.com.  He is supposedly an AK platform expert and builder.  His videos are more entertainment than informative.  They're usually funny.  He does Gun Meme Review, AK Guys vs AR Guys (where he makes fun of AR shooters - and AK shooters in his own way),  Will it AK (Fills the receiver of an AK with different stuff and sees if it will function),  stuff like that.  Not really informative, but kinda funny.  He does seem to know the AK platform.  A lot of his stuff is more along the lines of Demolition Ranch, Kentucky Ballistics, etc.

Hickock I don't watch a lot but he does know his stuff.  He kinda just rambles on a bit though.  

Vickers - I don't know what to think of Vickers.  He has some good stuff out there - the Russian firearms drills (BTW - do NOT try that stuff at home, apparently Russians really are crazy), the AK-104 shoot, stuff like that.  His stuff is entertaining.  Once again, what new facts are presented?  Dunno.  The "slow motion firing" videos are informative as well.

For learning about the guns, Military Arms Channel (MAC) is probably one of the best of the bunch.  Sample size of one and he tells you that but he does pretty good reviews.  

Garand Thumb has a definite LARPer feel but he is supposedly a real-deal military (AF Forward Air Support guy or something).  He reviews a lot of stuff - 99% of which almost no civilian will ever see much less buy.  He humblebrags a lot ("I've only got about 4000 rounds through this firearm but here are my thoughts.....)  I tend to scroll these videos a lot.

One I forgot to mention - and probably the overall most knowledgeable on firearms history and general weird gun crap - is Ian McCollum ("Firearm Jesus").  The man actually got a 9mm Calico to run for 200+ rounds without jamming.  Maybe he really is Jesus?

Yeah - I don't watch network TV much anymore.

Edited by SC Tiger