Finding it harder to put up with people...

Mrs.Cicero

I have a specific definition for "friend" - that being the people I would trust with a firearm, to watch my six.  Then I have friendly acquaintances, whose company I enjoy, and whose politics aren't hypocritical (you can  only be anti-hunting around me if you are vegan, and if you are vegan, just shut up about it already, or I'll process a chicken, rabbit, or deer in front of you, and then eat it).  I am, however, finding it progressively more difficult to put up with the leftists in my family, who cannot have a rational discussion about anything, because they perpetually move the goalposts, engage in ad hominem attacks, claim expertise they do not have, and especially are rude and insulting while insisting they have polite, respectful discussions with their  supposed "Republican Friends..."   All while quoting MSM brainwashing "Trump is never prepared for news conferences!  Trump gets upset when his advisors try to discuss anything with him!  Trump is locking all the mailboxes to steal the election!  We're all going to die of COVID because YOU aren 't wearing a mask!"  (Um, I'm outside, but whatever).  I have finally reached the point where I am tired of being accused of all the things the leftist person is actually doing, and of listening to the leftist person accuse Trump of doing all the things that BIDEN is actually doing.  I am feeling mighty negative about the rest of humanity today... which is kind of funny, because that was how my daughter has felt for weeks, until she went to an AR class last weekend and spent two days with people whose heads are on straight.  She came back feeling much better (and highly motivated to practice her AR-handling skills, yea!).  I, on the other hand, have just run out of the patience and positivity.  SO... since I cannot attend an AR class today, advice or amusement from you all would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

People that absorb the leftist mainstream media pablum and then regurgitate what little they can remember of it as if it is the gospel deserve a special dose of social distancing.  I pretty much jettisoned all of my lefty friends which gives me a lot of time to think about my own self.  I'll take the isolation over the aggravation any day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have to agree with Mr. Dwarren. 

That's the way I handle most idiots also.  Although, even when I'm wearing my Trump hat that says... "TRUMP, Elect that MF'er AGAIN"...I get some looks, but to this day I haven't had 1 person dare to say a word to me.  But you can SURE tell the democraps by their body language when they read my hat.  Sure have had a lot of Thumbs up and Cool Comments though!!  Hang with your Own Crowd Mrs. C.  The line in the sand has DEFINITELY been drawn.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Much like you, Mrs. Cicero, I have close friends, friends, and acquaintances. I don't have many close friends (6-8), but most served their country in uniform and have earned the right to express a heartfelt opinion, even if we must agree to disagree. I will share opinions with them that I might not share with friends or acquaintances, but I know that because mutual respect will always be present, at the end of the day it's all good. Another way of saying, there is no political litmus test for close friends... respect is the litmus test.

To answer your query about "what to do", I would offer only this: tell them politely that you can agree to disagree, and if that's not sufficient to maintain the relationship, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

• Like 4

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away."

:)

I've been on the public internet since 1989 and with my own digital profile since 1992. Frustrated nits, drunkards, drug addicts, and lunatics, among others,  have always found a way to find you. It is what it is.  More apparent in real life with population growth.   

But that saying I posted has always been the standard by which all relationships are measured. Which, unsurprisingly,  by internet folklore has been attributed to 3 or 4 different persons.

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I have a specific definition for "friend" - that being the people I would trust with a firearm, to watch my six.  Then I have friendly acquaintances, whose company I enjoy, and whose politics aren't hypocritical (you can  only be anti-hunting around me if you are vegan, and if you are vegan, just shut up about it already, or I'll process a chicken, rabbit, or deer in front of you, and then eat it).  I am, however, finding it progressively more difficult to put up with the leftists in my family, who cannot have a rational discussion about anything, because they perpetually move the goalposts, engage in ad hominem attacks, claim expertise they do not have, and especially are rude and insulting while insisting they have polite, respectful discussions with their  supposed "Republican Friends..."   All while quoting MSM brainwashing "Trump is never prepared for news conferences!  Trump gets upset when his advisors try to discuss anything with him!  Trump is locking all the mailboxes to steal the election!  We're all going to die of COVID because YOU aren 't wearing a mask!"  (Um, I'm outside, but whatever).  I have finally reached the point where I am tired of being accused of all the things the leftist person is actually doing, and of listening to the leftist person accuse Trump of doing all the things that BIDEN is actually doing.  I am feeling mighty negative about the rest of humanity today... which is kind of funny, because that was how my daughter has felt for weeks, until she went to an AR class last weekend and spent two days with people whose heads are on straight.  She came back feeling much better (and highly motivated to practice her AR-handling skills, yea!).  I, on the other hand, have just run out of the patience and positivity.  SO... since I cannot attend an AR class today, advice or amusement from you all would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You are a wonderful person whom I have followed for a considerable time. Keep on being you. tom. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

i do everything i can do to Avoid People in General but even more so during an Election Year.

it is like Halloween falling on a Friday With a Full Moon.

Polite Conversation should avoid Religion or Politics.

in May i got an E-Mail from a former Neighbor asking if i knew of a way they could get a Handgun quickly because Rioting was getting close to ones Business.

my Response was Go to the Local Police Station fill out the Back Ground Paperwork and wait for the Card, go to my former L.G.S. and buy what he Recommends and go to a Basic Safety Class he Puts on.

they Replied with "is`nt there a "faster" way or someone i know.

i was forced to remind them they were the ones wanting longer waiting periods to keep Guns off the Streets and less access to Handguns for the "untrained individual" and maybe they need a "Cooling off Period" five, maybe Fourteen days..

Oddly i didn't hear anything back from them.

avoid these People as much as you can, they are Toxic and not Worth your Time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Work. Home. Groceries. Restaurants.

Small cohort at work (another nice thing about not being in the ER), Home is... HOME. Groceries- MAGA hat, noticing and ignoring the snowflakes who scowl. Restaurants- I mind my own business and don't do anything to get people to F with my food. 

Pretty much, I don't go anywhere unarmed, and don't seek out interaction.  There are a bunch of assholes out there. I'm sure many think I am one. But I'm good biding my time to get to a place where the few people around, are a lot like me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i was forced to remind them they were the ones wanting longer waiting periods to keep Guns off the Streets and less access to Handguns for the "untrained individual" and maybe they need a "Cooling off Period" five, maybe Fourteen days..

Excellent response holy. I determined a few years ago that taking family or others out shooting in the hopes they would grasp the 2nd amendment is a waste of my time. Anyone stupid enough to vote for Hillary or Gropin Joe would simply have fun shooting my guns and continue voting for cretins that want to abrogate rights. No moore leftard hands on my guns, family or not!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i do everything i can do to Avoid People in General but even more so during an Election Year.

in May i got an E-Mail from a former Neighbor asking if i knew of a way they could get a Handgun quickly because Rioting was getting close to ones Business.

my Response was Go to the Local Police Station fill out the Back Ground Paperwork and wait for the Card, go to my former L.G.S. and buy what he Recommends and go to a Basic Safety Class he Puts on.

Possible they were trying to set you up for violating federal, state, or local laws. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

Beautiful. I'd probably have thrown in something like "In these uncertain times it's important to remember that just as the First Amendment isn't intended to protect popular speech, the right to keep and bear arms isn't here to protect us during the good times, when there's no wolf at the door..." in my best NPR voice. :supergrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, tadbart said:

Work. Home. Groceries. Restaurants.

Small cohort at work (another nice thing about not being in the ER), Home is... HOME. Groceries- MAGA hat, noticing and ignoring the snowflakes who scowl. Restaurants- I mind my own business and don't do anything to get people to F with my food. 

Pretty much, I don't go anywhere unarmed, and don't seek out interaction.  There are a bunch of assholes out there. I'm sure many think I am one. But I'm good biding my time to get to a place where the few people around, are a lot like me.

Sounds like my M.O.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Possible they were trying to set you up for violating federal, state, or local laws. 

Maybe they just think the anti-gun laws are just for conservatives while thinking these same laws don't apply to them, since they have altruistic motives, while they know that gun people can't be trusted.

My sister called me one day and asked me to take her shooting, and give her a gun.  All on my dime!

She just wanted hundreds of dollars of equipment from me "just for fun".  She doesn't have a pot to piss in, and wouldn't ever buy ammunition or pay for training. 

She would be a Black hole for firearms. I would be better off throwing a gun and ammunition in the river.

I never did either since she is a scatter brained liberal, and voted for Obama "cause he was so "cute", and Hillary "cause it was her "turn"".

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I actually like people and can enjoy being social. But I also like being alone and if I didn't have my "Alone Time"  I wouldn't be able to enjoy the company of others as much. I also never expect the best from anyone, nor do I expect the worst, and the best people are not the people who can be nice when everything's going their way, but the ones who can still be decent when times are tough.

I used to know a bartender who's philosophy was a little different from mine. Whereas I believe that there are both good people and bad people, he believed that EVERYONE was an A-hole, except that some people, in spite of being A-holes, had what he called, "Socially redeeming value". He told me once that he thought that I had at least a minimum of socially redeeming value which was one of the highest compliments ever ever paid to me. because I know he didn't believe that there were very many people who actually had any socially redeeming value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a few good friends I can talk to and we happen to agree on most of the issues.  I find those I do not agree with want to throw out their opinion and then when I try to discuss it they are not interested in hearing it.  I am losing my patience for those people.  I am happy to disagree on politics, or leave politics out entirely, I cannot respect you if you want to throw out your opinion and then refuse to discuss it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I actually like people and can enjoy being social. But I also like being alone and if I didn't have my "Alone Time"  I wouldn't be able to enjoy the company of others as much. I also never expect the best from anyone, nor do I expect the worst, and the best people are not the people who can be nice when everything's going their way, but the ones who can still be decent when times are tough.

I used to know a bartender who's philosophy was a little different from mine. Whereas I believe that there are both good people and bad people, he believed that EVERYONE was an A-hole, except that some people, in spite of being A-holes, had what he called, "Socially redeeming value". He told me once that he thought that I had at least a minimum of socially redeeming value which was one of the highest compliments ever ever paid to me. because I know he didn't believe that there were very many people who actually had any socially redeeming value.

I love your bartender's philosophy.  Under the right (or wrong) circumstances, everyone IS an A-hole, but some people do have "socially redeeming value."  And I have no difficulty in separating those that do from those that don't.

I think part of my problem this week has been that after 5 months of no gym, no church, no quilting bee, no library, no homeschooling events, and limited shooting at the outdoor-only range with those of socially redeeming value, I was finally feeling the rare desire to socialize... and then I suddenly had to deal with multiple Kool-Aid drinkers at once.  

And my kids are like, finally, mom, now you know how we've been feeling for months!  (They are somewhat more social than I am, lol).  If this is how they've been feeling, I'm sorry I was not more sympathetic and patient with them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1