More wood

gwalchmai

7 hours ago, tadbart said:

At least you have a splitter. That would be back-breaking work without one.

It's my father-in-law's. He heats their house primarily with a wood stove. He said he didn't have a splitter for the first ten years or so. :shocked:

We try to put up several cords for the winter every year.

• Like 1

The eight years we heated with wood, and didn't ever seem to get enough split to get thru the winter want the wood heated us multiple time - the half hour it took to split enough wood for the day with a maul, and then when we burned it.  It was better to get as much done as possible with the electric wood splitter in the fall...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I cut up two more bucket loads and it's ready to split, but heavy, intermittent rains today gave me a good excuse to lay around and eat and not split. I hope to get at least two more good days of cutting and splitting next week. Rain's great for my grass, which needs to go to seed a couple of times so I can avoid overseeding this year. Lots of opportunities this fall, but my time available for working is a bit limited.

I had a middlin' tree fall on my shooting range (a three foot tree section in front of a bank), so I had to cut it up first. Also, I have two large (3 - 5 foot diameter) tree stumps that I need to reduce. I've built a "council fire" on one and will let the rain fall and dry on it until late September. Hopefully a few bonfires will burn down through the stumps. I have some two-foot thick six-foot pine trunks which I may surround the stumps with for more bonfires. in the fullness of time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2020 at 3:44 AM, gwalchmai said:

It's my father-in-law's. He heats their house primarily with a wood stove. He said he didn't have a splitter for the first ten years or so. :shocked:

We try to put up several cords for the winter every year.

I've been burning wood all my long life and just got a splitter 2 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The splitter is really a blessing. We cut the logs about 16 - 18 inches long, and a heavy one, 12 - 16 inches in diameter, weighs 40 - 50 pounds. Once you get it onto the splitter it's easy to manipulate. We try for final logs of about 20 pounds so my mother-in-law can load them into the wood stove if she needs to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1