Contracts & ChinaVirus

gwalchmai

Assume that you and I have a contractual agreement in which I agree to pay you a sum in order to access your property between the hours of 9AM and 5PM, Monday through Friday. Since the CDC has posted guidelines advising me to stay home, thus reducing my income, can I withhold the payment and still access your property?

Something to think about.

• Like 1

Variation of the landlord/tenant/rent question, isn’t it?

Even before this virus became an issue, many jurisdictions have limited the ability of landlords to evict residential tenants for non payment of rent in some circumstances mostly related to weather conditions and temperatures. 

But what you describe is more like a person leasing a spot in a parking garage to leave their vehicle while they are at work, then wanting to continue to park there during agreed times but no longer paying rent.

Maybe the question is... why should you be able to continue to park there after you stop paying rent, regardless of the reason you are no longer paying rent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's turn it around. Say you pay a year's rent for a storage unit, or a safe deposit box, and the deal is you get to access it 9-5, M-F. Then the CDC "suggests" the business close, which it does. Where's your contractual agreement now? You had no contract with the CDC.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Let's turn it around. Say you pay a year's rent for a storage unit, or a safe deposit box, and the deal is you get to access it 9-5, M-F. Then the CDC "suggests" the business close, which it does. Where's your contractual agreement now? You had no contract with the CDC.

SHOW ME THE MONEY. You also have a contract, with terms that must be upheld.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tadbart said:

SHOW ME THE MONEY. You also have a contract, with terms that must be upheld.

I agree, and I think we'll see more than a few breach lawsuits in the near future. And I think the results of those will determine the fate of the Republic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 10:19 AM, gwalchmai said:

If you don't pay, you don't get to access, if you did pay access should be provided per the terms of the agreement.

How would you get corona from a storage unit or safe deposit box?

It really annoys me that these wienies have reduced the hours they are open and increased the number of people that are there so you are driving the person density up and raising the risk.  I went to the bank the other day and a girl opened the door so I had to walk close to her get in and then they had a dude loom over me while I use the ATM (inside ATM so I could get more than $500).  This would have been lower risk and gone just fine with neither of them present.

• Like 1