Recycling The Tirpitz

Eric

• Administrators

I saw a really cool Böker liner lock knife today at a pawn shop. It had a Damascus blade made with steel from the WWII German Battleship Tirpitz. I didn’t buy it, but I’m kicking myself for it now.

0515F4DE-9D9B-4C8E-9574-78D556336355.thumb.jpeg.41db084ff82a7291a76eef050e882fc2.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I saw a really cool Böker liner lock knife today at a pawn shop. It had a Damascus blade made with steel from the WWII German Battleship Tirpitz. I didn’t buy it, but I’m kicking myself for it now.

0515F4DE-9D9B-4C8E-9574-78D556336355.thumb.jpeg.41db084ff82a7291a76eef050e882fc2.jpeg

What were they asking for it?  Just curious.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, blueiron said:

$495.00???

I want to see the metal harvested, run through the forge, manufactured into the knife, and sold to me right then to prove the provenance. The steel could have come from the "Tirpitz" Trabant Auto Werke in Bautzen, East Germany. 

Böker is one of the oldest and best knife makers in the world. The company opened as a toolmaker in the 17th century and began making swords and knives in 1829. I don’t believe they are going to risk their reputation by scamming customers over something like this. I imagine that the amount of actual steel from the Tirpitz is small, but if they claim that it’s there and issue a certificate of authenticity stating that it’s there, then I am inclined to take their word for it. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
7 hours ago, M&P15T said:

Maybe for those with money to burn. 

Some knives are an investment. We were at that pawn shop buying two new knives being sold a bit below what they commonly sold for three years ago. One of them is worth almost three times its original retail asking price. The other is worth about 2.5 times as much and they are pricey knives to start with.

• Like 2