Credit cards...

railfancwb

There are several major credit cards.

Visa and MasterCard are often spoken of as one; yet they are not.

Sears, Roebuck & Co created Discover. It has become increasingly more visible since it was spun off years ago, but is not quite as widely accepted as V/MC. 

And there are others plus co-branded V/MC

Is there a situation in the States and/or Canada where Visa and MasterCard are not accepted interchangeably? In other words does a person need both? 

With a few exceptions at major venues or events like the Olympics Visa and MC are mostly taken by the same companies. 

If you are traveling internationally check the exchange rate the card charges and when they charge it. Sometimes you can get dinged if the exchange rate changed in the cards favor between the time you make a charge and the charge posts. 

Outside of the US and Canada AmEx has some nice perks. 

Discover sucks outside of the US. I think it sucks here too. 

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Sears, Roebuck & Co created Discover. It has become increasingly more visible since it was spun off years ago, but is not quite as widely accepted as V/MC. 

Is there a situation in the States and/or Canada where Visa and MasterCard are not accepted interchangeably? In other words does a person need both? 

Yes, costco, only visa

• Like 2

“Roger”, from Card Services, assured me that they are the same, and he can get me a much lower rate!

he even complimented my habit of making minimum payments on time, and sometimes even paying a little extra.

it’s like he knew me. Then, after I inquired about his Mother, he abruptly hung up.

Srange fellow, that “Roger”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xromad said:

“Roger”, from Card Services, assured me that they are the same, and he can get me a much lower rate!

he even complimented my habit of making minimum payments on time, and sometimes even paying a little extra.

it’s like he knew me. Then, after I inquired about his Mother, he abruptly hung up.

Srange fellow, that “Roger”.

Isn't it better from a financial standpoint to borrow money from a bank and use it to pay off a CC balance, than to make minimum CC payments? Asking for my friend Roger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Isn't it better from a financial standpoint to borrow money from a bank and use it to pay off a CC balance, than to make minimum CC payments? Asking for my friend Roger.

If you have to borrow money to pay for something, maybe you didn't really need it after all.

Cash is king.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, janice6 said:

If you have to borrow money to pay for something, maybe you didn't really need it after all.

Cash is king.

I don't carry cash. Pay the card off each month.  Works for me.

Dave..

• Like 2

On 8/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, railfancwb said:

You don't NEED either one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 26isbest said:

No. But if you want the ability to get a refund without hassle  a  good credit card will allow you to get that refund MUCH easier than using cash, check or  debit card. 

Never been a problem for me. Been getting refunds and returns for about 60 years now and I can't tell any difference now from 20 years ago.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, Batesmotel said:

With a few exceptions at major venues or events like the Olympics Visa and MC are mostly taken by the same companies. 

If you are traveling internationally check the exchange rate the card charges and when they charge it. Sometimes you can get dinged if the exchange rate changed in the cards favor between the time you make a charge and the charge posts. 

Outside of the US and Canada AmEx has some nice perks. 

Discover sucks outside of the US. I think it sucks here too. 

Why the Discover hate?  I have been using it as my main card for ~20 years.  There are very few places that do not take it.  Costco won't but Sams only takes Discover.

I find Discover to have by far the best service.  They make a point of letting you know they have all US based agents, they answer right away, know who you are from you caller ID and just ask for a simple identity verification.  They also have the most robust protections and have a very clear fraud policy, if you did not buy it, you don't owe the money.  Aside from all of that they give you cash back that you can spend on Amazon.

8 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Why the Discover hate?  I have been using it as my main card for ~20 years.  There are very few places that do not take it.  Costco won't but Sams only takes Discover.

I find Discover to have by far the best service.  They make a point of letting you know they have all US based agents, they answer right away, know who you are from you caller ID and just ask for a simple identity verification.  They also have the most robust protections and have a very clear fraud policy, if you did not buy it, you don't owe the money.  Aside from all of that they give you cash back that you can spend on Amazon.

No hate for it here, it just has a history for many years of not being accepted at many businesses here, so it fell out of favor.

25 years ago we used Discover to pay for Christmas and a family trip. Paid it off in a few months. They had a fit over it. We could never get to a zero balance. There were always a few dollars on the account. Then fees and interest. We paid the fees and interest then they did it again. We paid the entire balance but they kept fighting us. We finally just closed it and they accepted our final payment of the fees and interest on a card that was paid off. 

Then they got shitty. They reported us as closing the card “Not according to terms”. 

Basically reported us an not paying off the card. Really screwed up refinancing our house. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

25 years ago we used Discover to pay for Christmas and a family trip. Paid it off in a few months. They had a fit over it. We could never get to a zero balance. There were always a few dollars on the account. Then fees and interest. We paid the fees and interest then they did it again. We paid the entire balance but they kept fighting us. We finally just closed it and they accepted our final payment of the fees and interest on a card that was paid off. 

Then they got ****ty. They reported us as closing the card “Not according to terms”. 

Basically reported us an not paying off the card. Really screwed up refinancing our house. 

Wow. I've had a Discover card for over 35 years, never carried a balance, never paid interest or fees. A couple of times I've been late with a payment and gotten charged a late fee and interest, but I called them and asked that it be forgiven. Every time they did so with no questions asked. May be my winning personality but I suspect it's because they make good money on the merchant fees I bring them.

I have a Costco Visa that I use there.