It’s A Little-Known Fact...

Eric

• Administrators

In this thread, we are going to channel our inner Cliff Clavins (Cheers) and share some facts that you believe others might not know.

i just learned something I was unaware of. The singer Gerry Rafferty, who sung such hits as Baker Street and Right Down The Line, was the singer for stealer’s Wheel and sang Stuck In The Middle With You, before the band dissolved. I love Baker’s Street and Stuck in the Middle With you and have heard both hundreds of times, but I never drew the connection.

So, whatchu got for us?

• Like 8

• Administrators

Only one McDonald's in the world has turquoise arches. Government officials in Sedona, Arizona, thought the yellow would look bad with the natural red rock of the city.

I’ve been there. None of the chain stores and restaurants in Sedona sport their traditional corporate look. Sedona’s building codes must be strict as hell. The whole city is sort of themed. Pretty place though. The red rock scenery is amazing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Only one McDonald's in the world has turquoise arches. Government officials in Sedona, Arizona, thought the yellow would look bad with the natural red rock of the city.

I’ve been there. None of the chain stores and restaurants in Sedona sport their traditional corporate look. Sedona’s building codes must be strict as hell. The whole city is sort of themed. Pretty place though. The red rock scenery is amazing.

I just googled this. That's disorienting! 

• Like 4

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, BobinAK said:

Damn Eric i would not even think google or whatever you did to find out this information. Its very interesting.

I’m glad you like it. More to come.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Thomas J Grasso was executed in Oklahoma in 1995 for the murder of two elderly people in two separate robbery/murders, in 1990 & 1991. Less than an hour before his execution, Grasso issued his final statement. It read, "I did not get my Spaghetti-Os, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this"

His last meal request was: “Two dozen steamed mussels, two dozen steamed clams (flavored by a wedge of lemon), a double cheeseburger from Burger King, a half-dozen barbecued spare ribs, two strawberry milkshakes, one-half of a pumpkin pie with whipped cream, diced strawberries, and he requested a can of Spaghetti-Os”

He released a total of four statements before he was executed, including the Spaghetti-O complaint. This poem, so called, was his third, released about three hours before the execution.

“Ready, willing, and waiting am I,

Asked for death but could not die.

Each sunrise is one day less,

I'll endure this horrible mess.

When the last sun does sink,

Mr. E will serve a goodbye drink.

On the day our paths do cross it won't take much to see it through,

Just a little toxic brew.

The warden will read my last creed,

And the deadly brew will flow.

As the poison drips into my veins,

And from my body life does drain,

I'll know then once and for all

What "last call" means when serving Toxahol.“

• Like 4

Something I didn't know but others probably did - the barrel and barrel extension on an AR15 are two separate pieces that are threaded together.  I always wondered how in the hell they machined all of that.

Also - Eugene Stoner did not design the AR15.  He designed the Armalite AR-10.  Two other engineers revised it to the AR15/M16.  One is still active and doing some pretty slick stuff - an AR that is open bolt on full auto but closed on semi-auto, and I think he may have developed the Singapore Ultimax.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On the AR vein - on an AKM, the bolt locks into the front trunion, not the barrel.  The barrel is press fitted into the trunion.  So you have three pieces involved.  On the original AK (milled receiver) the lockup is done in the receiver.

This doesn't seem to be the best way to do it IMO.

I had the idea of a hybrid AR/AK using a long-stroke gas system but the AR style lockup where the bolt locks to the barrel extension - seems stronger than the AK system.  But it may be one of those things that while it COULD be done, the WHY is lacking.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1