Jump to content

Fresh Mushrooms


DrB
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was out mowing and noticed a new flush of mushrooms, had to stop and pick.  They will fry up nice with a little butter.  In another area noticed a patch of "Death Angels" popping up. 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jmohme said:

About the only thing I truly miss from my days living in the north are Morel mushrooms.

 

Yes, they are  one of the top shelf wild ones when you find them.. Another good one is the "Puff Ball"  before they mature and puff.  They go in cycles here, not every year.  If you get them when they are in their prime you can slice them up in thick slabs, grill them like steaks.

Edited by DrB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I'm a wuss.  I'll  buy them at the grocery store or farmer's market.

Having been on a people ate poisonous mushrooms call, I'm just fine paying for them.

I grew up on now what is my farm so I know pretty much what is.  That being said.  There are strict rules you go by.

If you say any of thesethings or wonder in your mind walk away:

That looks like just like...

Humm these are starting to flush this early.

Wow I never knew these grew in this type soil before...

I wonder, those look just like.

These only grew near oak trees.. humm (pick the tree)

Perhaps the sun changed the color a little, they must be ok.

How come these are.....

The only good reason to pick is " Yes those are them and all conditions are met"  Just one small thing you question, Walk Away....

I've been eating the ones around here for 68 years and not dead yet.  Break just one rule or question yourself, not walk away or you just may suffer the results.

Dave... 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DrB said:

Yes, they are  one of the top shelf wild ones when you find them.. Another good one is the "Puff Ball"  before they mature and puff.  They go in cycles here, not every year.  If you get them when they are in their prime you can slice them up in thick slabs, grill them like steaks.

I did not know that about puff balls.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

There is an abundance of them here after the Swan Lake Fire.

I have heard that they grow well up there. I was also told that they require a hard freeze in order for the spores to crack and germinate. Probably why I don't see them in central Texas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I did not know that about puff balls.

 

If a mushroom  you think is a puffballi it will be pure white on the inside, with no sign of gills at all, then it's a puffball. Still, there are a few puffballs that are toxic, so a lack of gills isn't a sure sign that you have an edible puffball mushroom. A lack of gills and a pure white interior are both required to identify edible species.

The ones here are edible and good to go.  But still heed my advice about wild mushrooms.  If you don't know exactly. Walk the hell away and don't look back.

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, johnbt said:

I can't decide whether to eat these or take a 9 iron to them. We had 6 inches of rain the other day and they're popping up everywhere.

IMG_6092.jpg

zIMG_6090.jpg

zIMG_6091.jpg

zIMG_6041.jpg

Do not eat those!!!!!!!!!!!!.....  Those in the top photo are Death Angels. ........If not they sure look like them...  Walk away from those please....   What state are you in and do you have any pine trees close by those?  Again walk away....

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, johnbt said:

Thank you. Seriously.

The " Death Angel" likes acidic soil.  Pine needles add the acidic nature to the soil.  Look at the tops and notice the pattern on the caps.  That  characteristic says walk away.  If you have pets get them gone if they are by your house..  A man I know lost a dog to those.  I have them here on the farm.  They are just a part of nature you live with.

Dave..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

I'm a wuss.  I'll  buy them at the grocery store or farmer's market.

Having been on a people ate poisonous mushrooms call, I'm just fine paying for them.

My Dad use to pick and cook mushrooms.  I'm a wuss too.  Bella's are readilly available at Publix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer an earlier question, I'm just east of Richmond VA and we have lots of pine trees. And some firs, black walnuts, crepe myrtles, oaks, maples and a couple of mimosas on the edge of the woods. The water table is only 20 feet down through solid clay and river is close enough to have dew nearly every morning.

Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, johnbt said:

we have lots of pine trees

Yep.  That is a sign of the soil they like.  That's why I asked about the pine trees.  Wild mushrooms give you no second chance.  They are either good or you die. If you don't know exactly...... walk away.

Dave..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Please Donate To TBS

    Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...