Hot sauce

Al Czervik

Just finished bottling a half gallon of lactofermented hot sauce from the overabundance of peppers in my garden.  I think there are 8 different varieties included.  I took the seeds out of the large peppers, but it is still smoking hot.  It is good now, but should be fantastic in a couple weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Just finished bottling a half gallon of lactofermented hot sauce from the overabundance of peppers in my garden.  I think there are 8 different varieties included.  I took the seeds out of the large peppers, but it is still smoking hot.  It is good now, but should be fantastic in a couple weeks.

Cool.  I  make my sauce also. 

Dave..

• Like 2

Tried once. Basically made my house uninhabitable when I opened the Tupperware.

Wait- you FERMENT peppers...? My interest is piqued. A salsa beer sounds interesting. Wonder how one would make up for the extreme acidity. My little pet yeasties have certain demands for their accommodations.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tadbart said:

Tried once. Basically made my house uninhabitable when I opened the Tupperware.

Wait- you FERMENT peppers...? My interest is piqued. A salsa beer sounds interesting. Wonder how one would make up for the extreme acidity. My little pet yeasties have certain demands for their accommodations.

Yeah, I ferment lots of stuff.

Yes I ferment some.  Can't wait until mine get ripe this year to start a couple of batches.  Many years ago there was a man who made dill pickles by fermenting them in a large crock in his garage.  Those were some of the best pickles I have eaten.  He has long since passed on.

I remember you  just rolled up you sleeve and dipped your arm down into the crock past the foam to grab one.  When you got it out just shook it off and ate.  Didn't matter if your hands were clean or not.  Nothing could live in that brine.  I have never been able to quite  duplicate his process. 

If you want to get into fermenting go with the good crocks in different sizes.  Something like this.  There are others also.  I have no affiliation with this company other than they are in Ohio as I am and I buy some things there.  Dave

..https://www.lehmans.com/product/hausgemacht-fermenting-crock-1-gallon/

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1

In fact I just ordered one up to add to mine. I have a bunch of Hungarian hot peppers getting ripe that should mash down and make good sauce and I need another crock.

I gotta stay out of these threads as they always wind up costing me money.   

Dave..

Edited by DrB

14 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

This thread is making me salivating. 

Well  get brewing some hot sauce then.  It got me to spend some money for another crock and looking at my peppers out back..

2 hours ago, DrB said:

If you want to get into fermenting go with the good crocks in different sizes.  Something like this.  There are others also.  I have no affiliation with this company other than they are in Ohio as I am and I buy some things there.  Dave

..https://www.lehmans.com/product/hausgemacht-fermenting-crock-1-gallon/

The crocks look very much like the ones used for the drying of anchovies. 

I love picked, fermented and preserved things.

• Like 2

I always have hot vinegar(s) for condiments as well.   The glass Maruchan rice vinegar bottles make a perfect container, as they have a restrictor at the top.  Just pop in chiles and hot, but not boiling white vinegar, let it cool, and put in the restrictor and top/lid.  I also always have one with garlic, allspice berries, a couple sprigs of fresh thyme, peppercorns, and of course, chiles.

• Like 1

I've been a home brewer for over 20 years.  Making something like this is pretty awesome.

We also make our own soap, shaving cream, bread, and eat locally sourced mammals, fish and birds...(hunting).

Hot sauce is something we make every once in a while.  When the garden has produced an abundance of peppers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

We also make our own soap, shaving cream

Do you have a ceeement pond out back and a daughter named Ellie Mae?  I bet your the one cutting all those telephone poles down for firewood to make soap..?

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2020 at 4:12 PM, DrB said:

Do you have a ceeement pond out back and a daughter named Ellie Mae?  I bet your the one cutting all those telephone poles down for firewood to make soap..?

Not quite, sir.  And sadly i have shot the ground around these parts and never found some bubblin crude.

We started doing this as a form of education and entertainment for Little Historian.  Kinda like teaching cooking skills.

I just like to learn to make things.   Like...lead into bullets.   Stock metal into a knife.

• Like 2