It’s Football Time In... maybe nowhere...

railfancwb

The Big Debate

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi4.cmail20.com%2Fei%2Fd%2F7F%2F19A%2FAE5%2Fcsimport%2F66825603.192728.jpeg&t=1596898078&ymreqid=74e8e440-4321-edd5-21b7-4900ea010a00&sig=_Ym87AaEwU3PrtSCIvVhWQ--~D

The Pac-12 has become the second major conference to shift to a conference-only fall schedule amid growing concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. 

PHOTOS: RALPH FRESO/AP PHOTO

Will Covid-19 be what gets NCAA athletes paid?

College athletes are fed up. For years, they've been advocating without success for a piece of the more than $10 billion dollar pie that is the NCAA's revenue. But Covid-19 has injected new life into the movement. Universities are having players sign liability waivers and commit to travelling across the country to play a contact sport amid the pandemic, a prospect that some players find unappealing. While they're barred from making money off their talents, their coaches and NCAA administrators will be earning hundreds of thousands, or millions of dollars. Hundreds of football players in the NCAA's Pacific-12 conference have backed an open letter published last week in the Players Tribune that, among other things, calls for 50% of revenue across all sports to be distributed evenly among athletes. The letter also highlights concerns about pandemic-related  safety precautions and ending racial injustice in college sports. If the players' concerns aren't addressed, they say they're willing to sit out the season, a potentially disastrous scenario for the NCAA, especially if the boycott extends to other conferences. In a since deleted tweet, Clemson University star quarterback Trevor Lawrence expressed his support for the movement, though he didn't imply that he was considering boycotting the season. Any form of revenue sharing would require deep cuts in expenses: The NCAA's 1,100-plus member schools spent $18 billion on athletics in 2018. Those same schools, however, only generated $10 billion in revenue.

“We believe a football season under these conditions would be reckless and put us at needless risk. We will not play until there is real change that is acceptable to us,” — A joint statement from Pac-12 football players

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i`d be pretty surprised if there is an NFL or any NCAA this year.

if Baseball can`t get 1 Game in before The Positive Tests Start and they don`t Touch each other i can`t see an actual Contact Sport Starting, even if they didn't Make Contact just Lining up Shoulder to Shoulder will set off the Virus Nanny's.

and as far as NCAA becoming paid Athletes i`d say Good, then they can Pay Tuition..

Edited by holyjohnson
male>make
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i`d be pretty surprised if there is an NFL or any NCAA this year.

if Baseball can`t get 1 Game in before The Positive Tests Start and they don`t Touch each other i can`t see an actual Contact Sport Starting, even if they didn't Make Contact just Lining up Shoulder to Shoulder will set off the Virus Nanny's.

and as far as NCAA becoming paid Athletes i`d say Good, then they can Pay Tuition..

Maybe the fiction about student athletes needs to be examined. Some actually are. Peyton Manning, for example, got bachelors and masters degrees while at The University of Tennessee at Knoxville and they were degrees of substance.

On the other hand, MLB funds minor league baseball teams at several levels to bring their draftees up to speed. Maybe NFL should help fund college football.

Wonder how steep the football pyramid is? From elementary school to junior high then high school then college and finally becoming a professional football player... What percentage of those starting as youths actually get an NFL contract? 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 8:44 PM, railfancwb said:

Maybe the fiction about student athletes needs to be examined. Some actually are. Peyton Manning, for example, got bachelors and masters degrees while at The University of Tennessee at Knoxville and they were degrees of substance.

On the other hand, MLB funds minor league baseball teams at several levels to bring their draftees up to speed. Maybe NFL should help fund college football.

Wonder how steep the football pyramid is? From elementary school to junior high then high school then college and finally becoming a professional football player... What percentage of those starting as youths actually get an NFL contract? 

the NFL made $16 Billion in 2019.

and IIRC NFL has Lowest percentages for go from College through Draft and Contracted to an NFL team. its like 2% maybe 3%.

i`m not against Student Athletes making Money at all, but it shouldn't come out of the School`s Athletics or Team`s Budget.

Players are Free to put their names on Jerseys, just not the School`s Logo as well.

there's no way a Kid who wants to go to College and can play ball but isn't a Peyton Manning should suffer the cost of an Education Ending Injury Due to lack of Funds Because a Soon to be Star Quarterback will make Millions a Year and Needs his Jersey Number Money While a Sophomore.

i agree with MLB and the NHL helping to fund Farm leagues.

but i think Professional Sports are killing themselves and Alienating fans with the Politics and Pricing them out of going to games.

• Like 2