Jump to content

The P47 Thunderbolt


Borg warner
 Share

Recommended Posts

Kinda misses the whole turbo point, doesn't he? Most of the advantages he mentions (self-sealing tanks, armor plate, guns) were common to all the US fighters, which were also designed around their engines. That said, it was a hell of a plane and good video.

Greg presents a good treatment of the bad decisions regarding P-47 drop tanks and suggests that AAF intransigence may have extended the war and prevented Jugs being the premier escort fighter.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The P-51 Mustang wasn't designed around its initial engine. It was a designed as an export fighter for the Commonwealth states, until the Brits realized was a 'dog' the supplied Allison engine was. After transplanting in the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, the plane came alive and became famous as a mid level dogfighter.

At low level and as a CAS aircraft, the 'Jug' was a far better aircraft. Colonel "Gabby" Gabreski scored more kills of German fighters in a P-47 than any P-51 Mustang pilot did. 
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Kinda misses the whole turbo point, doesn't he? Most of the advantages he mentions (self-sealing tanks, armor plate, guns) were common to all the US fighters, which were also designed around their engines. That said, it was a hell of a plane and good video.

Greg presents a good treatment of the bad decisions regarding P-47 drop tanks and suggests that AAF intransigence may have extended the war and prevented Jugs being the premier escort fighter.

 

The turbocharging with the intercooler and all the duct work is what I never knew about the aircraft and that's what impressed me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blueiron said:

The P-51 Mustang wasn't designed around its initial engine. It was a designed as an export fighter for the Commonwealth states, until the Brits realized was a 'dog' the supplied Allison engine was. After transplanting in the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, the plane came alive and became famous as a mid level dogfighter.

At low level and as a CAS aircraft, the 'Jug' was a far better aircraft. Colonel "Gabby" Gabreski scored more kills of German fighters in a P-47 than any P-51 Mustang pilot did. 
 

The Mustang was designed around the Allison inline V-12, because the Brits asked North American to build P-40s for them and Kindleberger & Atwood produced a competing design in order to avoid licensing fees. Replacing the V-1710 with a Merlin was almost a drop-in, and required relatively little redesign. Similarly, the P-38, P-39, F4U, F6F, etc. were all significantly designed around their respective powerplants (F6F replaced the engine just before it went into production, but the R2600 was so close to the R2800 that it wasn't that big a deal). And, to be fair, the Allison Mustangs were fine below 15000 feet, but didn't have the 2-stage blower they needed for high-altitude escort.

Comparing "ace's totals" is very problematic, due to the small sample size and the relatively small totals they scored. Who's to say that Gabrieski is better than say, McCampbell, who scored all his kills in a relatively shorter timespan? A lot of it comes down to luck of being in the right place at the right time. Was Bong "better" than McGuier? Was Hartmann better than Marseille? Really, really hard to say. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

The turbocharging with the intercooler and all the duct work is what I never knew about the aircraft and that's what impressed me.

You should get Warren Bodie's book Thunderbolt. It traces the development of the P-47 from its roots at Seversky. Bodie was a great historian of the P-47 and P-38. Fun reads. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Please Donate To TBS

    Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...