NRA and it’s legal troubles

railfancwb

The NRA leadership has only themselves to blame.

• The NRA is still home stated in New York. It should have relocated to a more neutral environment years ago.
  • The NRA is headed by Wayne LaPierre and has been for too long; he and his associates are treating the NRA as a personal expense account. 
  • They have done less and less for the members and it shows across the target shooters, the clay shooters, the LE community, the youth programs, and others.

I know little of NYS law, but from what I do know about civil law is that unless the organization, in this case - the NRA, is a criminal enterprise and it is not; that the NYS AG can go after organization officers/officials who may be corrupt and impose civil and or criminal sanctions if found guilty/responsible. Non-profit organizations can and do get taken over by questionable individuals, but they and not the not-for-profit corporation would be held responsible.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

EXACTLY!!!

Right.  And i agree with all the above statements.   I'm a proud member.   But i need change.

The NRA is large and very strong.  We can fix this...and one of those things is to get the excellent lawyers they have...to move out of NYC.

Something that should have been done 50 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been a member for a long time, but for too long now I feel about the NRA like I feel about Bass Pro. They're representing a group of people who are not me. Seems to be all about big money - multi-thousand dollar hunting safaris, exclusive resorts, country clubs. The NRA I joined was about squirrel hunters and Ted Trueblood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Life member since the cost that membership level was $100. 

For years, they refused to acknowledge the Title II community, did little to promote reciprocal concealed carry, and ignored women and young people. 

Once upon the time, the American Rifleman was filled with articles on how to inlet stocks, machining receivers to accept scope mounts, etc. Now, it's all about buying the latest Springfield Armory or Kimber super pistol and half the size it used to be. Kill off the magazines [put the content online], get rid of the spendthrifts in HQ, and get back to defending the Right and promoting the sport. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Blueiron, you nailed it.

The magazine has become an advertisement for companies rather that something that speaks of how to as you point out.  I appreciate the product placement.  But most of those firearms cost far more than most of their members can spend on a firearm.

They once had a fantastic women's magazine, it was a little thin, but it was great stuff.   As an instructor i learned a lot about women's perspectives from it.  And a good friend of mine actually was on the board of directors and pushed to start that magazine.

But you rarely see the youth programs and outreach.   They've left that to the Scouts.  When i worked with them we had to be NRA certified and then Boy Scout trained.  Programs like Appleseed are good...but where is the NRA?

We gun owners, despite our differences, stand together on many issues.  It's why i tell people if you want to join another group as well...go for it. Gun Owners of America and Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership have decent reputations.

Mission focus is what we need to do.

The good news, if any these days, is sales are way up.  First time gun owners are way up.  And they need people like you to get them to join the NRA (or similar group) and get them trained.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This isn't legal trouble, it is a political attack.

This is the state of NY trying to steal the money the NRA has and will use to help Donald Trump get reelected.

Sure some things at the NRA need to change, but the AG of NY has no business being a part of it in any way shape or form.

It is a political attack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The NYC Attorney General is Suing the NRA in the name of NRA members being Defrauded, and no NRA members have lodged that Complaint.

this is Democrats Attacking you, Whether you are the NRA or not.

i`m not longer an NRA member due to the Inaction of the NRA over the past Decade, and the constant needs to Waste energy Fund Raising and not Spending those Funds on Worthwhile causes, the very Public infighting and Fractures in it have Allowed this Political Attack to happen.

but make no Mistake this is an Election Year Political Attack on Gun Owners and the Second Amendment and the NY Attorney General Announcing she`d like to be considered for Dem. V.P.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

but make no Mistake this is an Election Year Political Attack on Gun Owners and the Second Amendment and the NY Attorney General Announcing she`d like to be considered for Dem. V.P.

The only way this will get fixed is with good people acting in the interest of the NRA and it's members.   We need more members.  We one of the most power groups in Washington.  You can look out the NRA Washington offices and see the capital building.  That tells you something.

I would like very much to see the NRA focus on grass roots, training and education and defending the 2nd amendment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Will Beararms said:

Go after the bad actors.  

I am betting the NY AG has a hand picked venue with a Clinton or Obama Judge.  

Keep your eyes on the ball.  

New York AG seeks Shutdown of NRA: Accuses Leaders of Massive Fraud
And nary a word about the financials of the Clinton Foundation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Received an email from Wayne LaPew bemoaning the situation and asking for more money. I have concerns...

A currently popular phrase in many contexts is “give back”. In that spirit I wonder how much the top management of NRA is preparing to give back. Considering income taxes, they might be better served to forgo a worthwhile percent of their upcoming salaries and benefits. 

• Like 2

The NRA gave $54 Million to Republicans in 2016. $30 Million to Trump and $24 Million to Republican Senate and House Races. That’s what this is about. Let’s open the books to the UAW and Planned Parenthood—-two major Democrat benefactors and the reason I don’t have any problem with buying foreign autos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Will Beararms said:

The NRA gave $54 Million to Republicans in 2016. $30 Million to Trump and $24 Million to Republican Senate and House Races. That’s what this is about. Let’s open the books to the UAW and Planned Parenthood—-two major Democrat benefactors and the reason I don’t have any problem with buying foreign autos. 

Exactly.  And Wayne has been there a long time.  A long time and he's been a great leader...and with that comes some perks.

That being said...as powerful as the NRA is...i would love to see some fresh air blown in there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been a member 38 years now. Donated hundreds, possibly thousands, of hours through the Members Council work and donated plenty as well. At this point it has been 11 years since I donated time or money. Part of that is being tired of hearing the litany of excuses that people will make to avoid putting $20 to $25 a year in the kitty. Part of it is figuring that I am old enough, let the younger generation do their part or not. The 3rd reason is various irritants involving the NRA itself. 

Example #1. Phone call soliciting a donation circa 2004. NRA: Can you donate $1000? Me: I'm out of work. NRA: In that case can you donate $500? Me: I am out of work. NRA: In that case can you doe.. Me: I am out of ******* work! Would you like my money for housing? How about my goddamn grocery money? My car payment? Do you understand the point that I am out of work? Not working right now? NRA: Well you don't have to be rude. We are required to ask these questions. At that point I called the 877 NRA 2000 number and had them stop calling me. I still made some contributions until about April of 2009.

Example #2 advertisement for gold on the outer magazine cover. I don't mind ads from the Thompson Cigar company or others in the back of the magazine but putting ads for gold and other crap on the outer cover is real tacky. I don't recall that pre LaPierre but he has been running it since the 90s and it is time for him to step down and well past time for term limiting the Executive VP position.

For the last several years I have donated instead to the Calguns Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition. That will remain the case until Wayne is gone. The Ex VP should not be a lifetime position.

• Like 4