Hunting trip up into the mountains....BOOKED.

Set up the dates for my air charter today. Heading up into the Kenai Mountains for yet another goat hunt. I love this unit. We camp within a few hundred yards of Dinglestadt Glacier on the shore of, you guessed it, Glacier Lake. Clear streams running off the mountains for water. Enough wood to gather nearby for small fires. The hunting area is quite a hike....UP, but the goats have been known to come down also. No shortage of bears, both black and brown. Hope I don't become another mauling victim. (I don't even taste good Mr. Bear)

We are flying into the area with a local guide service in a DE Havilland Beaver on floats. The scenery is breath taking. I will put the Kahtoolas on and walk on the glacier. I do that every time I hunt this area. I will also use ice that is thousands of years old to chill the Crown Royal I will be having in the evening in base camp.

I still haven't decided if I am taking my dog along. She has been on an unbelievable number of adventures, but hasn't been flown in for one yet. She doesn't get around like in her youth, but she'd be o.k. with me at base camp while the kid trots up the hill and looks at goats.

Winchester Classic model 70 stainless synthetic in .300 Winchester magnum shooting 165 grain boat tail bullets. 26" barrel topped with a 6.5x20 Leupold scope. I can reach out and get them. I'll have a hand cannon (.454) in the tent with me in case the bears come around at night.

• Like 3

Man. This trip sounds like a blast! The people who can't imagine that beauty are in a far better place emotionally than the people who can, and aren't going!

For many, it's unattainable. For others, the trip of a lifetime. I'm glad you get the chance to go again, and I hope the goat doesn't make you work TOO hard!

Has the old girl ever flown? There's plenty of room in the Beaver. Would she be crated? Might be a good idea to have her eyes and ears in camp.

Here's to using the 300 win mag once, and the 454 not at all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

Man. This trip sounds like a blast! The people who can't imagine that beauty are in a far better place emotionally than the people who can, and aren't going!

For many, it's unattainable. For others, the trip of a lifetime. I'm glad you get the chance to go again, and I hope the goat doesn't make you work TOO hard!

Has the old girl ever flown? There's plenty of room in the Beaver. Would she be crated? Might be a good idea to have her eyes and ears in camp.

Here's to using the 300 win mag once, and the 454 not at all!

She hasn't flown, but has been in boats many times, canoes, kayaks, atv's, and on the snow machines. Rides everywhere in the truck. I used to take her with me in the KW. She has even been with me in the loader when I'm loading gravel. I won't need to crate her in the plane.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

DSCN7545.JPG

DSCN7584.JPG

Wow, I am jealous as hell.  I will imagine a bunch of mosquitoes in those pictures to make it less painful.  I got to take a cruise to AK and it was awesome, I HAVE to do it again.

• Haha 1