What .22 Rifle did Bella Twin use to Kill a World Record Grizzly in 1953?

pipedreams

"Arizona – -(Ammoland.com)- In this famous photograph by Bruno Engler, Bella Twin is shown with the hide from the world record grizzly bear that she shot in 1953 with a single shot .22 rifle.  The question is, what rifle is she holding?"

Bella Twin is shown with the hide from the world record grizzly bear

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what-22-rifle-did-bella-twin-use-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwner/misc/Grizley1.html

Edited by pipedreams
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Did those rifles fire the 22 Long cartridge?

Except for semi-automatics any gun chambered for .22LR will shoot longs and shorts if one can chamber them. Semi-automatics will shoot longs and shorts if chambered, but those usually will not fully operate the mechanism. Long rifles can be fired in a long chamber if the lead bullet is shortened. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Except for semi-automatics any gun chambered for .22LR will shoot longs and shorts if one can chamber them. Semi-automatics will shoot longs and shorts if chambered, but those usually will not fully operate the mechanism. Long rifles can be fired in a long chamber if the lead bullet is shortened. 

I had a Winchester Model 74 in my youth.  It was chambered for .22 short only.

I proved that you could shoot a .22 caliber Long Rifle shell in it, if you hammered it into the chamber  with the bolt, multiple times.

When I pulled the trigger at a target 10 feet away, it was unmarked.  I knew damn well I could hit what I aimed at!  Lots of noise and smoke though!

I went home and had to use a long wooden dowel to drive the bullet back out through the chamber.

Wonderful rifle!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1