Mid air plane crash 20 minutes ago. Near Soldotna, Ak.

43 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

What the hell is going ON up there this week?  

That’s the lifestyle up there. People have airplanes parked in their yards like we have cars. Small planes are considered everyday transportation. Women pack up their kids and fly to Anchorage to shop. Things, as tragic as they seem, are bound to happen. As far as the bear attack, it’s a threat people learn to live with. You don’t just walk outside with your trash, headed to the bin without taking a gander making sure you don’t have an uninvited dinner guest; You, being the main course. My theory is that it’s a tradeoff, your life might be shorter but oh, the quality of life you had while living probably makes it worth it.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Zonny said:

That’s the lifestyle up there. People have airplanes parked in their yards like we have cars. Small planes are considered everyday transportation. Women pack up their kids and fly to Anchorage to shop. Things, as tragic as they seem, are bound to happen. As far as the bear attack, it’s a threat people learn to live with. You don’t just walk outside with your trash, headed to the bin without taking a gander making sure you don’t have an uninvited dinner guest; You, being the main course. My theory is that it’s a tradeoff, your life might be shorter but oh, the quality of life you had while living probably makes it worth it.  

I get the planes for transport occasionally leads to crashes, and the look for bears so they don't eat you, but weren't there also a bunch of earthquakes lately?  just seems like everything is happening at once... on top of the 'rona.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I get the planes for transport occasionally leads to crashes, and the look for bears so they don't eat you, but weren't there also a bunch of earthquakes lately?  just seems like everything is happening at once... on top of the 'rona.

Our most recent earthquakes have been out in the Chain. Barely felt here in South Central. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

And don't forget the gigantic Swan Lake Fire last summer. Haven't had much forest fire activity (thankfully) this summer.

• Like 1

Damn. Sad day. Tragic loss of life.

But, I'd rather go to my reward in a Beaver on floats in Alaska, than just about any other way. Beats the hell outta dying in a hospital bed.

Alaska is wild. Lots of ways to get dead up there. Still beats living in a major metropolitan area.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Damn. Sad day. Tragic loss of life.

But, I'd rather go to my reward in a Beaver on floats in Alaska, than just about any other way. Beats the hell outta dying in a hospital bed.

Alaska is wild. Lots of ways to get dead up there. Still beats living in a major metropolitan area.

Dying while living the life you want to lead is far better than in a metropolitan area, where you might die not living at all!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

The smaller plane is a twin engine Piper Aztec. Knopp is among those confirmed 10-79.

Yeah, usually a high wing v low wing thing.

Both birds too small for TCAS requirement, IIRC.

ADS-B in??

Edited by Al Czervik
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

After seeing pics of the wreckage, I can say that the reports of Knopp's plane being a Piper Aztec twin engine are certainly wrong. He was flying a Cub with tundra tires on it. Single engine. It impacted nose down in a cluster of spruce trees.

Yeah, a bush Cub and an Aztec aren't exactly similar looking birds.  The last time I was in an Aztec was about 20 years ago.  I chose not to land in it.

• Like 1