Many Animals Are Way Bigger Than Most Of Us Think

pipedreams

My friend's camp is right in the middle of elk country.  They are usually not shy, or scared of you.

Sitting around the fire,  you'll hear a slow crackle-crack coming out of the woods and you look because you know it's coming....

but you're always looking 4' or 5' too low.

Call me crazy, but I think the American Bison is the most magnificent creature ever. I stop and stare — from a distance — at them whenever I happen to spot some. Always laugh at the idiots who want a selfie with them in the background and are punished for the effort.

Easy to see why they were revered by the Native Americans.

I can think of no other animal who embodies our character like the American Bison. YMMV.

• Like 1

@TXUSMC I too love the bison. Every time I get to Yellowstone, I get a kick outta those big ol grunting prehistoric beasts! It was such a blast coming around the corner in the Lamar Valley, with my parents, in-laws, and other assorted family, and hearing the gasps and exclamations about how big and numerous they were. A vacation memory of a lifetime.

Hyenas. I never wounda guessed hyenas are as big as they are. You may have seen pics of African warlords with a chained hyena. Definitely more fear-inspiring than that dude with the AK and the life preserver.

49 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Just a few hundred years ago, bison were larger.  Due to the near extinction gene bottleneck, plus we killed all the bigguns, then add in cattle genes, they just aren't as big as they once were.

Wood bison are the largest ones. Alaska imported some from Canada a few years ago to reintroduce them to range they used to be on. They put them out near some Native villages with promises from the Nates that they would not shoot them. Well, you can guess how long they waited to start poaching them. About 5 minutes after the guys that released them vacated the area they had a couple of them down already.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Wood bison are the largest ones. Alaska imported some from Canada a few years ago to reintroduce them to range they used to be on. They put them out near some Native villages with promises from the Nates that they would not shoot them. Well, you can guess how long they waited to start poaching them. About 5 minutes after the guys that released them vacated the area they had a couple of them down already.

Natures keepers of wildlife aren't exactly that anymore.  When the courts gave back the title to a large lake in Minnesota back to the Indians, they went to netting the game fish.  Now White citizens can't keep any out of the lake, according to the DNR.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

Alaska Yukon moose are no slouches either. I thought elk were big until I walked up on 2 large bulls my brother and I dropped a long ways from the road on my first moose hunt in 1982. I've dumped about 40 of them since. They're huge.

BTW, when it comes to body size, not antlers, Olympic elk are the largest of the elk family. Olympic elk have huge bases and brow tines on their antlers, but don't get the really long points on top like the Rocky Mountain variety. Roosevelt elk are kind of in between the other 2. Large bodies but not as large as Olympic. Mare symmetrical antlers, but not the huge base like Olympic elk. Rocky Mountain elk sprout those huge racks with long swept back points. Beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have an aunt who wanted a cat...she paid $20 for a kitten.

Turned out it was a Maine Coone.  She walks it on a leash.

She walked past a wino one night who just about gave up drinking when he saw that little old lady walking that beast.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

once when i was a kid i was sailing a 14' Hobie cat in Nantucket Sound and one about this big Circled under me and Swam along side me for awhile.

shark!.png.762459800026cff8297e28bca217cc61.png

no one Believed me for years.

I had a 20' female take a peek at me a few years ago.  She could have taken me right outta the boat.  I could have touched her, but I was too busy crapping my pants.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Alaska Yukon moose are no slouches either. I thought elk were big until I walked up on 2 large bulls my brother and I dropped a long ways from the road on my first moose hunt in 1982. I've dumped about 40 of them since. They're huge.

BTW, when it comes to body size, not antlers, Olympic elk are the largest of the elk family. Olympic elk have huge bases and brow tines on their antlers, but don't get the really long points on top like the Rocky Mountain variety. Roosevelt elk are kind of in between the other 2. Large bodies but not as large as Olympic. Mare symmetrical antlers, but not the huge base like Olympic elk. Rocky Mountain elk sprout those huge racks with long swept back points. Beautiful.

I'm abstaining from meat protein right now to give my kidneys a rest, but I'd like to have some moose, elk, and bison soon. When I lived in Great Falls my roommate killed a moose and we had "moose helper" for months.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Just a few hundred years ago, bison were larger.  Due to the near extinction gene bottleneck, plus we killed all the bigguns, then add in cattle genes, they just aren't as big as they once were.

The Male in the picture Weighs Around 3000lbs

49 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

The Male in the picture Weighs Around 3000lbs

Only well-fed, semi domesticated bison get anywhere near that big.  There were some 50 odd million of them before Europeans came to this continent.  At one point, there may have been less than 500.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

My daughter got to work vaccinating rhinoceros. Massive animals. On a cold day she could feel the heat from all that mass just radiating from them. The softest skin she ever felt was on the base of their ears. 

Out in the bush on foot, rhinos make you feel really small and vulnerable.  Luckily, they just generally want to go about eating.

• Like 2