.22 shorts

norton

Posted this on the- ahem-other site.

I had not shot any .22 shorts in quite a few years. 

I was in a local sporting goods store and ran across a couple of boxes of 100 CCI CB shorts.

Shot 100 of them from my Colt Trooper with an 8" barrel.

Shooting at 100 feet I could see them going down range.  Almost like shooting tracer rounds.  At first I was concerned about this but it went off without a hitch.  Bouncing tin cans around was a blast. 

Couple of days later I stopped at the same store and bought the last 4 boxes they had left.

002.jpg

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, norton said:

I was in a local sporting goods store and ran across a couple of boxes of 100 CCI CB shorts.

Shooting at 100 feet I could see them going down range.  Almost like shooting tracer rounds.  At first I was concerned about this but it went off without a hitch.  Bouncing tin cans around was a blast. 

Couple of days later I stopped at the same store and bought the last 4 boxes they had left.

002.jpg

IIRC i used to shoot those at the small shooting galleries at the state fair.  I could buy them for home, but some of the CB rounds were problematic in longer barrels.

I should mention that for many many years I shot a Model 74 Winchester in 22 short only.  I got it when I was 8 or 10.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Only shot a few hundred of these rounds over the years and they were a delight.   Probably pretty good for small game hunting within reason.

Out of a Trooper that sounds like just a blast!

The only time i ever saw bullets going down range was when the sun was setting behind us and you could watch .45 ACPs as they went down range. 

That was a curious thing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2020 at 9:33 PM, norton said:

002.jpg

As a very young shooter, I bought some of these many, many, years ago and was disappointed that they wouldn't cycle the action on my semi-auto.  

I have used shorts, longs, long rifles, shot shells, CB caps, and sub sonics. They're all fun. I have been firing 100 plus rounds a day lately, mostly through handguns but also blasting .22 magnum out of a Marlin bolt action. My favorite .22 Magnum is my H&R model 700 semi auto. Functions great and I have a pile of magazines for it. The handgun we have been using lately for practice is the Mountain Eagle polymer semi auto. Holds 20 rounds. Cool firearm. Accurate and functions nice.

• Like 1