Anyone have ripe tomatoes yet in the Midwest?

DrB

• 2 weeks later...

They are starting to turn now.  Picked some San Marzano's and sliced those to top a pizza.  Found a few of my favorite black ones.(Black from Tula) ripe also.  Those get sliced with just a sprinkle of salt.

For some reason some blossoms did not set, weather related I guess, but I will enjoy what I have and hopefully have some to share with a few folks.

• 3 weeks later...

The weather turned better here. From the limited things I can do this year so far i have 14 quarts of chopped in the freezer.  Canning is not an option for me this year.  Have a bunch of nice ones for dinner every night so far starting late July first of August and some to share with the woman who cleans my house.  I can't complain for what I am able to do this year..  Dave..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, janice6 said:

Our patio Tomato plants are dying now.  Our season is closing.

Mine still look good.  It depends on the weather now.  If all goes well I might get another 14 quarts in the freezer.  If not, oh well.  I am sharing what I have right now with the woman who cleans my house.. She also today got a big basket of Basil, that is about done here now.  I may get a little more to dry.

• Thanks 1

My cukes have croaked, but I have 25+ jars of relish canned, so I don't care anymore.  I finally have red tomatoes, but still not enough to make salsa (Need about 40 for that).  The cilantro bolted, so even if I get enough maters, I'll have to buy cilantro to do it.  I just realized it's the end of August.  WTH happened to my summer?  It's time to harvest the darn potatoes... but it is still so hot (why is it 90 degrees?) that I have no place cool enough to put them to cure right now. Argh. Also, I am still being buried in purple and green beans. I am not fond of them.  There are only two recipes I like them in.  I just grow them for the two members of the family who love them.  And to trade (I'm laughing this year because I've been trading them to a friend who has zukes but only a handful of beans, while I have beans but not enough zukes to make zuke bread to freeze, so we are trading.  Also, my honey for her cabbage because the rabbits ate all my cabbages and she doesn't keep bees).  It has been a weird year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked a few of my Black/Purple varieties, still going good.  Have quite a few of red ones to pick and slice/freeze.  The late blight skipped over my plants this year so they are still doing fine.  Some of the bottom leaves are starting to turn but I'm thinking they will be good to go until the first hard frost. How's yours doing??  Dave...