7.8 Quake in the Chain. Tsunami Warning.

5 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Upgraded to 7.8. It must have been a slip strike quake since the tsunami didn't happen, thankfully. when I was a kid living in Wa state we had one come all the way around the house we were in. It was from a quake in the Aleutians.

I'm sure I speak for many/most/all here when I offer my appreciation for you sharing your experiences both in WA and in AK. No doubt, you've seen great geology (and also great loss) in action, on a scale many will never experience.

Haven't talked to my bud up in ANC today yet, but I have a text out to him.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I'm sure I speak for many/most/all here when I offer my appreciation for you sharing your experiences both in WA and in AK. No doubt, you've seen great geology (and also great loss) in action, on a scale many will never experience.

Haven't talked to my bud up in ANC today yet, but I have a text out to him.

Thanks. The tsunami I experienced, along with my siblings and 2 families of cousins, happened when I was 5 y.o. I have been in the middle of forest fires, some while fighting them and one when my dad drove into one to check on equipment. We were on a road with fire on both sides and it was hot enough to blister the paint on the truck. Might have avoided that one. Went through a hurricane in 62, I was 9. St. Helens was the big one for my family and I. 

As far as earthquakes go, I experienced regular ones over my years. Was in Wa. on the coast for the 64 Alaska quake. We had a tsunami with damaged roads, bridges, and homes, but we were a mile inland, so safe from that one. Our neighbor, an Engineer, headed immediately to Alaska to assist with repairs. I'm used to small shakers, but the big ones nearby still grab my attention. The ones above 6.

Mother Nature doesn't care. Stay prepared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Mother Nature doesn't care. Stay prepared.

She does not play for sure.  Never experiences a shake...but about 20 named storms. Worked about 17 of them at this point (either patrol or emergency management) and four or five good fires.

But nothing like this.

Glad your safe.   Not a lot you can do to avoid that kind of shifting of the plates.

You sure have had some interesting experiences, Walt!

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

Only good thing I can say about our hurricanes is at least they give us notice.

Finally got with my bud in Anchorage. He slept right through it.  Like you, he's not a great fan of the 6+ ones. That big one last year, he said that was the first one that really scared him.

I keep missing quakes by a week either way when I come visit. The geology geek in me wants to experience an earthquake at some point. But maybe only like a nice respectable 5.

• Like 1