SC Tiger's AR15 Follies.......

SC Tiger

As some of you know and probably fewer even care, I built an AR15 about a month ago.  Anderson lower, PSA lower assembly kit, MOE pistol grip and stock, Bushmaster bolt, BFI chrome-lined barrel, etc.  Decent budget combat platform.  Not a competiton rifle.  Mainly built for the ongoing battle against the evil Paper Target and Tin Can army.

Well, after the second range session, I noticed that the optic and stock castle nut had come loose.  So I decided to loc-tite the castle nut.  Most people stake it with a punch.

As it turns out, there is a very good reason to stake it instead of loc-titing it.

I took it out late yesterday.  Decided to see how she liked steel case ammo.  As it turns out, she likes it.  A good bit actually.  Used Wolf, Tula, and some other cheap crap.  I get it home and considering that cheap ammo may have corrosive primers, I decided a clean was in order.  So I go to take out the rear disassembly pin.  

It won't move.  Dammit.  

Detent pin was stuck.

So I then removed the stock and end plate.  I find that the loc-tite had flowed into the detent pin channel and had frozen the detent pin - that locks the rear disassembly pin in place - in place.  I had to pull the spring out with pliers (wrecking it) and clear the channel with a drill bit (by hand, not with an actual drill).  The detent pin still won't completely come out but it will move enough to at least let me take the gun apart.  Fortunately Palmetto State Armory (those wonderful bastards) was smart enough to include a third pin and spring.  So I was good to go.  I do plan to order another spring and detent pin, just in case.

I cleared the channel, reassembled the stock including the buffer retaining pin, clamp ever-loving hell out of the castle nut with the armorer's wrench, and put the rifle back together.  Pull back the bolt.  It stays back.  What in the hell?  Then I look on the table.

Buffer Group. 

With some gentle persuasion also known as "tapping the muzzle on the ground" I get the bolt to go forward enough for the forward assist/failure button to close it all the way and let me open the rifle.

Buffer group back in and the rifle reassembles.

Now it works.

On the good side, the only issue I have seen is that if I ride the charging handle on chambering a round too much the round actually winds up getting ahead of the bolt.  But if I come off of the bolt stop or pull and release, no problem.  If the round gets into the chamber I can pull the bolt back and it will clamp onto the case head, no problem.  Being as the extractor clips over the case head after it gets to the chamber, I consider this a "SC Tiger needs to learn how to operate his damn rifle" failure.

Optic stayed tight this time,  So there's that, which is nice.

Group wasn't great because the shooter isn't great with a rifle.  But it's shooting MOA (Minute of *******) right now.  

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, willie-pete said:

Blue or Red Loc-tite ?

:whistling:

Blue.  I never use red unless I have to.  The stink of it is I didn't put that much loc-tite on it.  I didn't bathe the thing in it.

Wait - is this an old inside joke from TOS?

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

I used some foaming barrel cleaner in my Rem 700 and it managed to run into the trigger.  It made it all sticky so it would fire when you would close the bolt.  The same cleaner ate the butt pad on my other 700.

Remember that a few years ago Rem 700s had a faulty trigger. I had one rifle with the bad one, and one with the good one. Never did manage to send it off for recall. It jus sits in the safe empty with an open bolt and a zip tie around it, until I get around to ordering an aftermarket trigger to install.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

Remember that a few years ago Rem 700s had a faulty trigger. I had one rifle with the bad one, and one with the good one. Never did manage to send it off for recall. It jus sits in the safe empty with an open bolt and a zip tie around it, until I get around to ordering an aftermarket trigger to install.

Is it the trigger that can fire when you take it off safe?  IIRC it can be shot 'safely' as long as you don't carry it chambered (not a big deal for a bolt action). 

I think I may have read that the new trigger system also ruins the trigger pull.  But if you want it fixed, Remington would probably still do it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Is it the trigger that can fire when you take it off safe?  IIRC it can be shot 'safely' as long as you don't carry it chambered (not a big deal for a bolt action). 

I think I may have read that the new trigger system also ruins the trigger pull.  But if you want it fixed, Remington would probably still do it. 

Yes, Sir. I think a lady's rifle went off and shot through a hunting cabin and killed her son, and that was the most newsworthy bit I recall.

Will probably just end up buying a Geissele aftermarket trigger for it. It's pretty far down on the list of rifles to grab for just about anything, so no rush.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Yes, Sir. I think a lady's rifle went off and shot through a hunting cabin and killed her son, and that was the most newsworthy bit I recall.

Will probably just end up buying a Geissele aftermarket trigger for it. It's pretty far down on the list of rifles to grab for just about anything, so no rush.

That sucked.  The case I remember was like that and was being unloaded.  While that was certainly a design flaw, the rifle should never have been pointed at a home while being unloaded.  As I recall the owner of the rifle was cycling rounds through the action to unload it.

Aftermarket trigger might be the way to go.  Often triggers are great designs but poorly executed.  I suspect the Remington issue was something like this.  A similar design from someone who takes the care to get it right is probably going to end up better.  Especially now.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1