Nantes cathedral on fire

pipedreams

StPeters.png.263d781f5a114d1b17568966ff002bcf.png

"“The damage is concentrated on the organ, which seems to be completely destroyed. It’s platform is very unstable and could collapse,” regional fire chief General Laurent Ferlay told reporters after the fire was contained. He explained that there were three fires started in the church and it is being investigated as a criminal act."

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/07/breaking-historic-nantes-cathedral-france-burning/

https://news.sky.com/story/nantes-cathedral-on-fire-flames-lick-15th-century-facade-12031069

• Sad 1

We are losing, as a species. At least the Hagia remains, whether as a museum, a cathedral, or a mosque.

But overall, I feel like we are devolving. Which, when ya give a bunch of savages the ability to fly planes into buildings, kinda makes sense.

edit- World Heritage Sites should be guarded and preserved with the utmost reverence. Those things, those are who we ARE, as a species. All of them, from Mecca to the Pyramids to our historic cathedrals, those are our Humanity. Damage and destruction to them lessens us all.

Edited by tadbart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tadbart said:

We are losing, as a species. At least the Hagia remains, whether as a museum, a cathedral, or a mosque.

The guy in charge of Turkey...officially made the Cathedral Hagia...a mosque last week.

It had been a museum that showed an interesting intersection of both faiths.

Not...anymore. :mad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, tadbart said:

But overall, I feel like we are devolving. Which, when ya give a bunch of savages the ability to fly planes into buildings, kinda makes sense.

As a people, many of us have progressed and changed, and others not as much.

But at it's base it's the same species that was where 20,000 years ago.

The basic herd needs are the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

I find it interesting that Americans on this forum is more upset about a French cathedral going up in flame instead of one of the oldest American churches that went up in flame last week. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/12/us/san-gabriel-mission-fire-trnd/index.html

That's a shame. I hope it wasn't arson. tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

I find it interesting that Americans on this forum is more upset about a French cathedral going up in flame instead of one of the oldest American churches that went up in flame last week. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/12/us/san-gabriel-mission-fire-trnd/index.html

I guess the rest of us weren't told of this.  The media didn't think it was necessary for us to know.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 7/18/2020 at 9:18 AM, Historian said:

That organ...can never be truly replaced.

Who built that organ, do you know by chance?  I have been inside a few over the years.  Amazing..

Dave.

7 minutes ago, DrB said:

Who built that organ, do you know by chance?  I have been inside a few over the years.  Amazing..

No idea.  But it likely could have been as old as 400 or 500 years.   When they were first developed the were the most technical device created by human hands.  Bach's famous organ required two men to inflate the bellows.

They have a man in custody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, tadbart said:

edit- World Heritage Sites should be guarded and preserved with the utmost reverence. Those things, those are who we ARE, as a species. All of them, from Mecca to the Pyramids to our historic cathedrals, those are our Humanity. Damage and destruction to them lessens us all.

Because IDIOCRACY IS REAL.  We keep protecting the stupid from their own stupidity, instead of simply allowing them to suffer the consequences of their own imbecilic choices and actions.  And then the idiots reproduce.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2