1988 Ranger won't Start?

DrB

Went out to move it, no go.  Battery ok..Dumped 5 gal. of gas in it ..nope.  Checked the fuel pump shutoff switch.  Some simple things I should check?  I can't do much climbing over and under the hood because of my hip but are there some simple things to check?  It's a 4wd and high so I can't do much. Pisses me off as I live on a farm and can't do much right now.  Thanks..  Dave..

Are you sure any ignition lock is in the right place.  I had a brand new car that wouldn't do anything and it was the transmission lock 

1 hour ago, DrB said:

Went out to move it, no go.  Battery ok..Dumped 5 gal. of gas in it ..nope.  Checked the fuel pump shutoff switch.  Some simple things I should check?  I can't do much climbing over and under the hood because of my hip but are there some simple things to check?  It's a 4wd and high so I can't do much. Pisses me off as I live on a farm and can't do much right now.  Thanks..  Dave..

Any ignition interlock problems..  Being in the right gear transmission interlock switch?

• Like 3

Clean the tighten battery cables and terminals first (maybe you did already).  There are lots of reasons for a no start unfortunately.

Critter could have chewed your ignition wires, had a chippy do me in that way once.

Depends if it's just totally dead or turning over but not catching.

• Like 1

It turns over fine, just not catching.  I tried a little ether in the intake.  No go there either.  I am guessing it is ignition problem.  I don't see any chewed up wires.  I can't climb around so that pisses me off so think I will have to call AAA.  The folks that did all the work on it for me last winter are AAA towing also.  They work on the classic old stuff.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, janice6 said:

A wild shot, change the center wire in the distributor to the coil.  It's a long shot, but Mine burned out the center conductor one time.

Thanks..  I will try that...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

with any Mobility issues its probably best the People who did the work on it, check it out.

hopefully its an old Fusible Link or Relay.

Yep, I will have it taken there.  I need to get some paint work done also and they work on the old classic cars and trucks.  as long as it's getting towed away might as well have that work done also.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrB said:

Just thinking, perhaps the ignition module went south.  I'm going to go look and see if I am able to replace it.  Sound logical?

If you have no spark at the Plugs, then yes.  If it's just a "throw a part at it and see if it works", then no.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, janice6 said:

If you have no spark at the Plugs, then yes.  If it's just a "throw a part at it and see if it works", then no.

Thanks. Yes, no spark.  I'll call NAPA in the morning.  Last time I priced checked Rock Auto with the shipping was close in price from NAPA.  I'll go local. 

Module is on distributor back by the firewall.  I think I can get to it.  I'm a gonna try anyhow.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Put a saw horse in front of the truck with a board on it and resting on the engine compartment. Lay down on the job.

You know, I did think of something like that.....  I grew up on a farm crawling over equipment, improvise and make do.

56 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Somebody invented volt / ohm meters before I was born.

I think it was Homer Simpson.

You really don't need a VOM, you only have to watch for a spark.  Most of the public don't know how to use one or what the measurements mean..............

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, janice6 said:

You really don't need a VOM, you only have to watch for a spark.  Most of the public don't know how to use one or what the measurements mean..............

LOL.................I have this fancy Fluke meter I've had for a few years and rarely use it anymore.  Last time I had to stop and think which buttons to push to get what I needed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

LOL.................I have this fancy Fluke meter I've had for a few years and rarely use it anymore.  Last time I had to stop and think which buttons to push to get what I needed.

I have the latest and greatest, but don't do that crap anymore. 

For cars, I found it far faster to use a 5/7 watt fluorescent bulb to check for spark.  You only have to hold it nest to each plug wire, or the center distributer wire, if it flashes the spark is sufficient.

If you pay attention you can find which cylinder is misfiring too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, bad news.  Got the ignition module and it started right up.  Bad news the special mounting bolts gone.  My dumb a..s mistake.  They are down in engine hell somewhere.  Now got to find out what they are.  Hex bolt head metric.  Anyone know where I can get?  Tried looking on internet with not much luck.  Yep I f...ed up in losing them. 

Dave..