Cordless tools just keep getting better

Years ago working on our remote cabins meant firing up the generator and getting the corded tools out. Or the chainsaw, LOL. All these projects my son and I did this year were while using cordless tools. He has Milwaukie. Mine are Makita and Dewalt. It's amazing how much work can be done before changing batteries. And never had a single problem with any of the tools. 3 roof jobs and one deck project. I'm doing a 20x20 deck at home all with cordless stuff. Only problem is that my dog hates it when the batteries are on the chargers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In the 80s I built all sorts of batteries. Including rebuilding NiCad packs for power tools. Literally cracking the old pack open and replacing the cells. They all sucked back then. 

The new ones are Fantastic. I have a 20 year old Bosch set that finally had the batteries die. I just got a set of four aftermarket NiMh replacement Batteries for $120. I’m probably good to go for another 10-15 years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's funny how much I used to make fun of electric lawn care tools until I used a cordless lawnmower that was like 54v (I think) and I had enough egg on my face to open up a diner!  Battery technology sure has come a long way!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I bought an adapter so I can run my 20 volt Dewalt batteries on my older 18 volt tools. My son has some Porter Cable tools he likes but the batteries are toast and he can't find anymore. I suggested he look into adapters for those. 

Look hard on line including Amazon by model number. A lot of the originals were built in China and Indonesia. Now that the company has discontinued that battery line the original manufacturer might still be making them as aftermarket replacements. That’s how I found mine. Still made by the original manufacturer just in a different color and imported by a company in California. 

• Like 3

Batteries and LED lamps have made significant contributions in the last 20 years.

I really like Nimh batteries.  I have a Makita drill that is over 15 years old, and the original batteries are still good.  Some medical equipment companies are treating Nimh like Nicad with conditioning cycles, so I let them set and don't charge them until I need them.  I don't use them hard, but I haven't noticed much of a drop in performance.

I have also have lithium battery tools that do really well, but I don't have 15 years on any of them yet.  I'm reluctant about large lithium batteries.  It seems the Chinese didn't do much research into charging characteristics.  And as I like to say, they can steal the tech, but not the know-how.    

4 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I bought an adapter so I can run my 20 volt Dewalt batteries on my older 18 volt tools. My son has some Porter Cable tools he likes but the batteries are toast and he can't find anymore. I suggested he look into adapters for those. 

Take a look for places like this that rebuilds your old batteries. 

http://batterypackrebuilders.com/

Sometime ago I sent them my old Mikata batteries and they rebuilt them. 

Service was fast and they were better than the originals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

In the 80s I built all sorts of batteries. Including rebuilding NiCad packs for power tools. Literally cracking the old pack open and replacing the cells. They all sucked back then.

Once we got out of the nicad stone-age,  things progressed nicely (rc cars!).

Future generations will eliminate internal combustion eventually.

• Like 1

My daughter gets paid in Snap-On tools, usually. Sometimes Makita.  I get to borrow them.    Her  cordless drill/drivers are SO MUCH BETTER THAN MINE.  Also smaller, lighter, and easier on my aching hands and screwed up shoulder.  When she moves out, I'm going to have to buy my own...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

The new ones are Fantastic. I have a 20 year old Bosch set that finally had the batteries die. I just got a set of four aftermarket NiMh replacement Batteries for $120. I’m probably good to go for another 10-15 years. 

My  dying NiMh got replaced with Lithium on my old battery drill.  Works great and better lifetime.

Edited by janice6

Battery tech has soared over the past 5-10 years. In the old days it was work an hour and charge for an hour and a half or more.

The new batteries can last a long time. I got a battery chain saw last winter for a little project. 2 trees and a few largish bushes. I didn't want to spend much and got the whole setup for under a C note. Wasn't expecting a lot either. That saw has about 2 hours of run time and enough power to get it done, not real fast, but plenty. One of the trees was a locust. That wood is dense and hard on a saw. Charge time is nominal. Anyway, I could go three outings with it before charging and still had some reserve. About 30-45 minutes is all I could go. Pretty impressed for an off brand and cheap price tag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

I got most of my cordless stuff from pawn shops. Some were brand new. Picked up others at garage sales.

Modern Pawn Shops here are like department stores.  they want to improve their image to sell to a larger customer base.  I find excellent deals in my wife's jewelry and other stuff.  Tools are always worth checking out!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

its Pretty amazing that over the past few years Cordless Rechargeable Tools have come a long way.

the Air Tool Drawer in my Tool box looks really impressive with all the unused Air Tools.

I have an electric impact ratchet and like the thing. I have air tools as well and wouldn't be without them at this point in life. I haven't worried much about replacing the impact driver since I'm already well vested in air, and don't do any remote work.

The do seem to be really good these days, and may have surpassed air in many cases.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

Modern Pawn Shops here are like department stores.  they want to improve their image to sell to a larger customer base.  I find excellent deals in my wife's jewelry and other stuff.  Tools are always worth checking out!

We had one recently close that had been in the area for 70 years. They had all sorts of wonderful things.

I bought a manual 1943 Remington typewrighter in the od green box of the US army for 60 bucks. Was able to mail order ribbon and was in business.

I wrote a letter to a company on it once and they called me. Then asked...because they had an office bet...did I use a real typewriter?

Ayep. Signed it with a fountain pen, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I got most of my cordless stuff from pawn shops. Some were brand new. Picked up others at garage sales.

I hardly ever buy new tools unless it is a spectacular deal.  I just got the sabre saw and 2 of the 4ah batteries on the Ryobi day deal.  I will buy new blades and drill bits.  All of my welders are from pawn shops.  Cherry picker too.  Engine stand I bought from a garage going out of business for 50 bucks.  Professional deal but only 3 wheeled.  

34 minutes ago, Historian said:

We had one recently close that had been in the area for 70 years. They had all sorts of wonderful things.

I bought a manual 1943 Remington typewrighter in the od green box of the US army for 60 bucks. Was able to mail order ribbon and was in business.

I wrote a letter to a company on it once and they called me. Then asked...because they had an office bet...did I use a real typewriter?

Ayep. Signed it with a fountain pen, too.

I love fountain pens, I have several from back in the 50's.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Put about 500 3" screws into the deck today. Almost got by with just one battery change on the Makita hammer drill.

My next lawn edger might be battery powered.

I have lost a lot of very fine tools to bad gas and was luck to find a station not but three miles away that carries eth. free gas.

• Like 1